What do you guys look for in a story?

• Thread starter Jeff The Killer
  • Start date
Jeff The Killer

Jeff The Killer

Go. To. Sleep!
Towns Folk
I have been writing a book for some time now that I hope to get published (probably will end up being an Ebook on Amazon) soon.

The gist of the story is that there is a boy who is actually just a shell/vessel for this entity that lost its memory, who works with a demon to awaken its memory and powers.

I know it's sounds pretty generic, or lame :p. But I'm wondering what in a story do you guys look for, what is it that you want to see that will keep you hooked and wanting more?

Is it horror? Suspense? Romance? (To be honest I don't really know how to write romance and the love interest will nine times out of ten end up being killed off :sneaky: I am a killer after all :sneaky:) Just tell me and I can work on weaving those interests into the story.

Thanks for your help :D

Reactions: Hikki
Jeffy you writing a book? :eek:

The topic sounds great and original. (It kinda sounds like incidious or the host or something so I'm not sure if 100% original)
So you know the bestselling book, "The Testing"? The author visited my school (I nearly died when I found that out) talked about her book and her life. So, basically she said that she tried to insert a bit of romance, but she found out she is good at killing people better xD

If you are going to write romance, (almost every good book has romance which I don't mind but it is ... eww >.< sometimes) add a bit of killing in it and maybe the main character or 2nd main character is the killer and they go through self conflict (gotta love self conflict) or something and plot twist happens or something.

My favorite thing in books is weird, its when the people get resources or collect stuff, or gain a new cool skill and it makes me feel like I am with them or have those resources. This goes for games, books, movies, anime, anything. (If you haven't watch One Piece you are going to be confused so skip it xD) An example would be when Nami gets the awesome Clima Tact that can create weather balls and can make weathery stuffs. I feel like I can use it even though she is. (Get what I mean? I don't either)

Basically when you finish writing your very rough and ugly draft, (Don't make it pretty at all or I'll smack you >:d) look back at it as a human being and see if it is appealing. I thing this story is like Out of My Mind sorta since nobody understands her and nobody understands the guy in your story? Make sure to kill some though, maybe you hide who the killer is and it is actually the boy, even though it might be in 1st person.

Lastly, good luck on your story! I might buy it if I find it :D

Reactions: 3823 and Jeff The Killer
I'll just make a list of short points, if you need an explanation for/want know more about any of the points, just ask!
  • Try to get deep characters, not broad
  • Don't be too literal
  • Never ever go against the logic of your universe
  • Don't make an all-mighty character. NEVER. They're boring and unrealistic, real storykillers
  • A happy end is optional, don't force it
  • Don't be afraid to kill of your favourites, even the main
  • Surprise, but stay reasonable
  • Your characters are humans so they need sleep/food/friends/etc.
  • Please, for godssake and all else, write chronologically. You can have flashbacks, maybe flashforwards, but don't make it a big puzzle. (Unless it is functional for the story, but be careful)
  • Don't go full Marvel/DC; if someone is dead they are DEAD. One resurrection (if it fits the story) is acceptable, Superman flying around the Earth reversing time is not.
Writing tips: Try to write from your own personality then slowly form it into whatever you want. Another one would be: The story is done when it's done. Don't add stuff to make it longer just because you want it to be a book. When it feels finished; stop. Otherwise you get Death Note like situations where the last few episodes are garbage. Also; Some people outline the entire plot then start writing (Harry Potter) some start writing and see where it gets them (His Dark Materials). Do whatever feels natural, I tend to go with the second because I get bored otherwise but if you like structure you should go with the first.

Reactions: 423, PsycheTrance, 18 and 2 others
I look for adventure, a bit of romance, some heartwarming aspects, humor, and a good plot. I have to admit I am a bit of a bookworm myself, being a fan of many famous authers(my main favorites being James Patterson, C.C. Hunter, and Beverly Cleary).

I look for something new and unique. Cookie cutter love stories are boring to me D:

Some random ideas,
  • A guy finds a letter on the street and it's like a puzzle or something
  • A prisoner makes it into a highschool impersonating a student persona
or something like that. Idk, just something interesting. xD

When I read something, I tend to like things like quirkiness, even in dark stories. A main character shouldn't just have your routine flaws and strengths, I.E. He's smart but anti-social and doesn't trust anyone. That kind of character gets boring quick. Instead, try having a character be more like this: He's pretty smart, but not like a genius. He likes art, and gets inspired by some of his favorite artists on Tumblr. He loves LoZ, and when he finds out someone else likes it, he can ramble about his headcannons and theories for days. He isn't quick to make friends because he bad at conversation, but he's okay with that because his internet friends are enough.

From the first description, you can't imagine a specific character. That could apply to BILLIONS of character. The second one, on the other hand, gives us more details and little quirks. He's bad at conversation. He loves Legend of Zelda. He's an artist. He's more comfortable on the internet. We have a reason for his perceived anti-socialness. It could still apply to quite a few characters, but we've narrowed it down by a lot. We have details that we can then take and create something special and unique with. We haven't outlined goals for this character yet, have we? But, based on his interests, we can think of one as well as a path he would take to get him there.

So, when it comes to characters, write a paragraph just outlining personality and such. Add details about what he likes doing in his spare time, what his favorite food is, what kinds of people he's attracted to. DON'T write about appearance though. If you can't write 4-6 sentences about that character, then you may need to think about it a little more and try to figure out why you can't. In order to write an engaging story, you must have engaging characters.

Reactions: 3823
When I read something, I tend to like things like quirkiness, even in dark stories. A main character shouldn't just have your routine flaws and strengths, I.E. He's smart but anti-social and doesn't trust anyone. That kind of character gets boring quick. Instead, try having a character be more like this: He's pretty smart, but not like a genius. He likes art, and gets inspired by some of his favorite artists on Tumblr. He loves LoZ, and when he finds out someone else likes it, he can ramble about his headcannons and theories for days. He isn't quick to make friends because he bad at conversation, but he's okay with that because his internet friends are enough.

From the first description, you can't imagine a specific character. That could apply to BILLIONS of character. The second one, on the other hand, gives us more details and little quirks. He's bad at conversation. He loves Legend of Zelda. He's an artist. He's more comfortable on the internet. We have a reason for his perceived anti-socialness. It could still apply to quite a few characters, but we've narrowed it down by a lot. We have details that we can then take and create something special and unique with. We haven't outlined goals for this character yet, have we? But, based on his interests, we can think of one as well as a path he would take to get him there.

So, when it comes to characters, write a paragraph just outlining personality and such. Add details about what he likes doing in his spare time, what his favorite food is, what kinds of people he's attracted to. DON'T write about appearance though. If you can't write 4-6 sentences about that character, then you may need to think about it a little more and try to figure out why you can't. In order to write an engaging story, you must have engaging characters.
That's quite a great tip! As stated before, I don't really do outlines but it's good to have this in mind. This way you'll create real characters with flesh and blood instead of some godlike flat characters. Do you write a lot?

That's quite a great tip! As stated before, I don't really do outlines but it's good to have this in mind. This way you'll create real characters with flesh and blood instead of some godlike flat characters. Do you write a lot?
I've been writing for a while; it's one of my favorite things to do when I have free time. Either that or draw; though most of the time I draw what I'm writing about.

I've been writing for a while; it's one of my favorite things to do when I have free time. Either that or draw; though most of the time I draw what I'm writing about.
Same here, even my title says so. :D Which brings me to another writing tip: Sometimes when you're stuck on a story, just start drawing and doodling, quite often it will lead to new inspiration.

A bit of topic, but could you send me a story sometime? You got me curious.

Sometimes starting from the end/goal works pretty good. Like imagining the endpoint of a particular part of the story and carefully building towards the beginning. It worked pretty well for me at times when I'm stuck at thinking about what happens my story :3

Take inspiration from other references like Terminator or Star Wars or Kingdom Hearts kinda did. I especially like it when the author builds up a few main characters, has a legend or backstory (short and sweet) to give a purpose for the plot. Then set the objective. Then fill the character with emotional memories you can bring up at any point in time and have them somehow relate with the opposing force. When both sides are related the reader should have a problem with deciding who you should root for and then the ending should be easier. Then again everything I write is garbage.

Mainly, I like conflict and how the problem relates to something that is very similer to others. For instance, if you have noticed in many stories, us humans usually cause the problems. I love to connect things to other things, like our world or in some other story. Also, I look for the ethos, pathos, and logos. What happening in a story? What is the character doing to tackle this problem, that the antagonist usually causes.

I like the coming of age genre...its got a little of everything :D

Me personally, for the synopsis of your story, would want to delve deeps into the psychological and spiritual state of the protagonist. Make him an interesting character with a good and defined character. Show him his backstory of how it came to be and overall, I could see potential for clever writing of the limits of the human mind and the true feeling of free will.

If its adventure, make the two characters have a good chemistry, clever jokes, and times to talk with each other. Make the powers interesting, make them explore their world to help awaken their power.

I have been writing a book for some time now that I hope to get published (probably will end up being an Ebook on Amazon) soon.

The gist of the story is that there is a boy who is actually just a shell/vessel for this entity that lost its memory, who works with a demon to awaken its memory and powers.

I know it's sounds pretty generic, or lame :p. But I'm wondering what in a story do you guys look for, what is it that you want to see that will keep you hooked and wanting more?

Is it horror? Suspense? Romance? (To be honest I don't really know how to write romance and the love interest will nine times out of ten end up being killed off :sneaky: I am a killer after all :sneaky:) Just tell me and I can work on weaving those interests into the story.

Thanks for your help :D
I look for intense moments, unique character personalities, some violence, and comic relief

I'll just make a list of short points, if you need an explanation for/want know more about any of the points, just ask!
  • Try to get deep characters, not broad
  • Don't be too literal
  • Never ever go against the logic of your universe
  • Don't make an all-mighty character. NEVER. They're boring and unrealistic, real storykillers
  • A happy end is optional, don't force it
  • Don't be afraid to kill of your favourites, even the main
  • Surprise, but stay reasonable
  • Your characters are humans so they need sleep/food/friends/etc.
  • Please, for godssake and all else, write chronologically. You can have flashbacks, maybe flashforwards, but don't make it a big puzzle. (Unless it is functional for the story, but be careful)
  • Don't go full Marvel/DC; if someone is dead they are DEAD. One resurrection (if it fits the story) is acceptable, Superman flying around the Earth reversing time is not.
Writing tips: Try to write from your own personality then slowly form it into whatever you want. Another one would be: The story is done when it's done. Don't add stuff to make it longer just because you want it to be a book. When it feels finished; stop. Otherwise you get Death Note like situations where the last few episodes are garbage. Also; Some people outline the entire plot then start writing (Harry Potter) some start writing and see where it gets them (His Dark Materials). Do whatever feels natural, I tend to go with the second because I get bored otherwise but if you like structure you should go with the first.

I agree 100% with most of those points,
  • Don't be too literal -> I wanna emphatize this one, metaphores and other ways of decorations on the story that aren't really needed for the story but make the text prettier (like, the complete opposite to my way of writing in english which is close to a caveman's) are more important than you'd think. It's not just the story you tell but also the way you tell it.
  • on't make an all-mighty character. NEVER. They're boring and unrealistic, real storykillers -> you could always make him have a dumb death :p (I'm looking at you, Tolkien)
  • Never ever go against the logic of your universe -> Wanna have a world when dogs are replaced by invisible green creatures that shoot laserbeams when they bark? Cool, as long as that fits the logic of the world you created, this doesn't mean you have to be realistic, just coherent with your own world.
  • Please, for godssake and all else, write chronologically. You can have flashbacks, maybe flashforwards, but don't make it a big puzzle. (Unless it is functional for the story, but be careful) -> I... have to disagree with this one. If it's executed well, it can make the story even better (for example, the movies Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs), but as PersonSP said you gotta be careful, it can get confusing for the reader.

I agree 100% with most of those points,
  • Don't be too literal -> I wanna emphatize this one, metaphores and other ways of decorations on the story that aren't really needed for the story but make the text prettier (like, the complete opposite to my way of writing in english which is close to a caveman's) are more important than you'd think. It's not just the story you tell but also the way you tell it.
  • on't make an all-mighty character. NEVER. They're boring and unrealistic, real storykillers -> you could always make him have a dumb death :p (I'm looking at you, Tolkien)
  • Never ever go against the logic of your universe -> Wanna have a world when dogs are replaced by invisible green creatures that shoot laserbeams when they bark? Cool, as long as that fits the logic of the world you created, this doesn't mean you have to be realistic, just coherent with your own world.
  • Please, for godssake and all else, write chronologically. You can have flashbacks, maybe flashforwards, but don't make it a big puzzle. (Unless it is functional for the story, but be careful) -> I... have to disagree with this one. If it's executed well, it can make the story even better (for example, the movies Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs), but as PersonSP said you gotta be careful, it can get confusing for the reader.
Okay, I should have nuanced that last point a bit more. There are writers that just write all sorts of scenes all over the place without any reason for it. If it adds to the story it might work. I still stand with all the other points. :)

One thing I sometimes look for in stories is something that has become somewhat cliche over the centuries - Dramatic Irony. Something about me knowing about certain information or an action that took place before a character in the story knows can be humorous, scary, or relieving, depending on how it's played out.

Back