What do you think about games in the west with only Japanese voice acting?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
There are some games that are sold in the west with voice acting, however, instead of English, it's Japanese. Of course, you'll have your English subtitles to read, but it's just that.. you'll only be reading the English while listening to the Japanese voices.

What do you think about games like these?

Do you feel they shouldn't be sold in the west or be delayed so that English voice acting can be considered?

dubbing is not cheap, and there are games that either have to get released withouth a english dub or dont get released at all in the west
having a english dub and undertanding all dialogue withouth subtitles its good but not having it doesnt make games worse for me

Well it's better than having a computerized voice like in the music in SMT: Nocturne so as long as the voices don't get annoying I'd be happy with it. I don't like how if there's a lot of visuals as well they expect you to look at the subtitles as well.

I don't mind some English-language games to have Japanese voices, because for me, it could evoke the unique feeling of playing anime-like games.

Now, setting aside my personal preference for Jap dubs, I agree with @eonia, dubbing a game is pricey, especially if done by competent people. I'd prefer to keep the original dub and would love that the money saved this way could be used to improve the localization or to better promote the games so that not only a bunch people get to know about them.

I'm totally fine with it. Like others said, dubbing is really expensive, adding subs is a lot lot cheaper and takes a lot less time to do. But on the flip side, choice is nice. If it's an anime style game, or a Japanese type game, I tend to normally go with Jap VA anyway cause I like it better, fits nicer with the style, helps that lil bit with my Japanese learning, and is generally of a higher quality imo.

Reactions: Theresia
is generally of a higher quality imo.
Couldn't agree more, even the cheapest games have a good jap dub.

Reactions: 28142
I don't mind it if the script (aka subtitles) is as good as it can be while being more literal than a localization w/dubbing. I really enjoyed Judge Eyes or Judgements's idea, were you have a more localized(?) script, or a script adapted more to the english language for the dubbed v.o and one more literal while still being tasteful in english kind of script for the original v.o.

I don't mind. So far, at least two games I've played (Fate/Extella Link and The Princess Guide) are exclusively in Japanese for the voice acting. Usually, I turn down the voice volume in the settings, since I find the Japanese to be jarring, and turn on subtitles if possible. Though I often end up ignoring the subtitles during combat as I'm more focused on the gameplay. Outside of combat, it's usually story scenes which use dialogue anyway, so it doesn't matter.

As others have said, dubs are costly. Small games like the two I mentioned wouldn't be able to afford a dub anyway so I'd much rather have it this way instead. Only games like Fire Emblem and Disgaea would matter as they have a decently-sized following overseas as well as in Japan so it's more important in those case. With my two examples, well, their fanbases more than likely consist of weebs who would probably prefer to listen to the Japanese voices anyway. Those kinds of niche games never seem to make it into the mainstream where dubs are more important in selling a game.

Only if they can't afford english voice actors. I wouldn't mind japanese only though, as long as the text is translated.

Back