• He was a bad person.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Killer B

Killer B

Killer B, yo
Towns Folk
He did a lot in his life, helped build forts, was a General in the Civil War, and was even a president for a college. I was wondering, what are your guys thoughts on him? He was with the Confederate, meaning he was fighting for slavery. What do you guys think about that? Was he a good man?

He might've been fighting for the Confederates, but the reason was because he loved his home. I don't think he cared about slavery because he didn't join a side until Virginia did and it just so happened that Virginia joined the South. Just because you fought for the South doesn't make you a terrible person.

He might've been fighting for the Confederates, but the reason was because he loved his home.
Blind loyalty. He chose to fight for Virginia's independence in spite of slavery. If he fought for the union, Virginia would have still achieved freedom at the cost of banning slavery. Honestly, he only delayed the inevitable for his home and the South as a whole.

I'm not merely stating whether he was absolutely bad or good; thus would be a simpleton answer within a thread of this subjective magnitude. I just want to assert that no man is perfect, and General Lee was no exception. Categorizing him with one word wouldn't be enough in his case.

Blind loyalty. He chose to fight for Virginia's independence in spite of slavery. If he fought for the union, Virginia would have still achieved freedom at the cost of banning slavery. Honestly, he only delayed the inevitable for his home and the South as a whole.

I'm not merely stating whether he was absolutely bad or good; thus would be a simpleton answer within a thread of this subjective magnitude. I just want to assert that no man is perfect, and General Lee was no exception. Categorizing him with one word wouldn't be enough in his case.
I'm not so sure it was blind loyalty as much as his love for his home state. I think he thought about it a lot and when it came down to it, he loved Virginia above all else and wanted to defend it.

I'm not so sure it was blind loyalty as much as his love for his home state. I think he thought about it a lot and when it came down to it, he loved Virginia above all else and wanted to defend it.
That defines blind loyalty to its deepest core: staying faithful to something or someone in spite of being offensive to the opposing something or someone else. Within this case, he stayed with Virginia, eventually building up the ire towards himself from slaves across the South. A man should be led by his own ideals. It follows the saying, if he jumped off a bridge, would you choose the same fate?

That defines blind loyalty to its deepest core: staying faithful to something or someone in spite of being offensive to the opposing something or someone else. Within this case, he stayed with Virginia, eventually building up the ire towards himself from slaves across the South. A man should be led by his own ideals. It follows the saying, if he jumped off a bridge, would you choose the same fate?
Oh, no, he did something offensive, that's never happened before. As far as the bridge thing, it depends on the situation. And had he joined the North, he would've gained the ire of his home. I'll take the ire of slaves over the ire of my home any day.

As far as the bridge thing, it depends on the situation. And had he joined the North, he would've gained the ire of his home. I'll take the ire of slaves over the ire of my home any day.
Virginia lost anyways; he technically chose to jump of the bridge. Moreover, I think you forget that slaves were normal humans, not just tools of enterprise. Hate from them rivaled that of his home any day.

Oh, no, he did something offensive, that's never happened before.
Exactly why I think he wasn't necessarily just a "good" man. His complex attributes paired with an inconsistent record of deeds deemed both questionable and moral, trivial or not, all place him among the ranks of other historical of a similar caliber such as Andrew Carnegie. I won't glamorize him as you seem to do.

(Heh, I changed your name to something suitable in the quote box. Toy Story reference.)

Virginia lost anyways; he technically chose to jump of the bridge. Moreover, I think you forget that slaves were normal humans, not just tools of enterprise. Hate from them rivaled that of his home any day.

Exactly why I think he wasn't necessarily just a "good" man. His complex attributes paired with an inconsistent record of deeds deemed both questionable and moral, trivial or not, all place him among the ranks of other historical of a similar caliber such as Andrew Carnegie. I won't glamorize him as you seem to do.
He didn't know Virginia would lose. And I'm not forgetting slaves are normal humans, and I still stand by my point about is choose my home over slaves. The slaves are foreigners, the people from your home aren't. I'm not trying to glamorous him, but you seem to be judging him in the Civil War alone.

And if somebody doing something offensive makes them a bad person, then you must think I'm as bad as most people consider Hitler.

Last edited:
I can't really remember anything about Robert E. Lee, despite the fact that I took AP U.S. History this year. I forgot basically everything from that class after the school year ended. I don't regard him very highly since he was a Confederate general and all, but I don't know enough about him to judge him too harshly.

I was seeing if any of you knew he was actually against slavery, lol, xD ;3 You did!

If you read a lot about him, he was a very good man.

You're assuming that fighting for something you love/like is blind loyalty, but, I could say the same thing you.

What you're doing is blind loyalty. You're fighting for your point because you like it. You like your point. Well, you like your point and agree with it, therefore what you're doing is blind loyalty.

Gen. Robert Lee agreed with the rights of his state, and liked/loved his states.

You agree with your point, and most likely like your point.

They fall to the same terms, so surely you debating your point is blind loyalty.

Reactions: Iridium Winter
I can't really remember anything about Robert E. Lee, despite the fact that I took AP U.S. History this year. I forgot basically everything from that class after the school year ended. I don't regard him very highly since he was a Confederate general and all, but I don't know enough about him to judge him too harshly.

That's sad they avoid him on schools because he was confederate. He was a great man. Much kinder then the Yankees.

Oh, also, all the people who voted for "He's for slavery, he bad :32333" are fools, because he wasn't for slavery ;3

That's sad they avoid him on schools because he was confederate. He was a great man. Much kinder then the Yankees.

They certainly didn't avoid him, I know for sure we discussed him in class as part of the Civil War. There's just so much content in American history that we couldn't spend a lot of time on any single topic. Also, as I said, I already forgot a lot of information from the year. Although maybe in the future they'll avoid covering Lee because literally just a few days ago the curriculum of this class was changed to be more "pro-American" lol >.>

They certainly didn't avoid him, I know for sure we discussed him in class as part of the Civil War. There's just so much content in American history that we couldn't spend a lot of time on any single topic. Also, as I said, I already forgot a lot of information from the year. Although maybe in the future they'll avoid covering Lee because literally just a few days ago the curriculum of this class was changed to be more "pro-American" lol >.>
AKA, "Lets not offend anyone over something they shouldn't be offended over anyways" stuff :rolleyes:

Oh, I see ;3

I hope they don't avoid him. If you study the Civil War, you'll find the Yankees were rude men, whereas men under Robert Lee were much kinder and "will only have war up on armed men" as Gen. Robert Lee put.

AKA, "Lets not offend anyone over something they shouldn't be offended over anyways" stuff :rolleyes:
It's not even offensive. If anyone was offensive, it was the Union! They were very rude.

It's not even offensive. If anyone was offensive, it was the Union! They were very rude.
Exactly lol, that was my point.

Exactly lol, that was my point.
Yeah, I knew ;3

But, aren't you sick of it? Saying the Confederate flag is evil, shunning some history because it had "Balck Slavery", it's just horrible! I'm ticked off.

Reactions: Iridium Winter
Yeah, I knew ;3

But, aren't you sick of it? Saying the Confederate flag is evil, shunning some history because it had "Balck Slavery", it's just horrible! I'm ticked off.
And the same people who say it is evil are the ones who are cool with the US flag getting stomped on because "It's just a symbol" :rolleyes:

And the same people who say it is evil are the ones who are cool with the US flag getting stomped on because "It's just a symbol" :rolleyes:

Lol, xD.

Back