what does the "u" in wii u stand for?

• Thread starter Lotad Lover
  • Start date
Lotad Lover

Lotad Lover

Lover of the mighty Lotad god.
Towns Folk
Does anybody know what the u stands for?

Wii U is supposed to be a console for everyone, from your family and friends playing games together as "WE" (Wii) Or for "YOU" (U) the gamer who wants to play by yourself. Because Wii U is supposed to focus on both the casual and the hardcore gamers. That's why Nintendo is trying to get a wide range of different games for everyone's tastes, from Wii Party U & Wii Fit U, to games like Assassin's Creed and Bayonetta

Reactions: 18, Alpha Harry and Knight
Wii U is supposed to be a console for everyone, from your family and friends playing games together as "WE" (Wii) Or for "YOU" (U) the gamer who wants to play by yourself. Because Wii U is supposed to focus on both the casual and the hardcore gamers. That's why Nintendo is trying to get a wide range of different games for everyone's tastes, from Wii Party U & Wii Fit U, to games like Assassin's Creed and Bayonetta
Really? I just thought they chose the name because it sounds good. :p But your explanation seems more fitting.

Oh, ok I thought it ment something like unlimited or ultimate.
Your idea sounds better though.

I'm pretty sure it means Ubiquitous, as in it appears everywhere. </sarcasm off>

A mispelled on purpose you lol

I'm pretty sure it means Ubiquitous, as in it appears everywhere. </sarcasm off>
What does that word mean?

I heard in the really old Nintendo Direct way back it meant universe. And Miiverse, originally only supported by the Wii U is sort of like a "Mii Universe".

I heard in the really old Nintendo Direct way back it meant universe. And Miiverse, originally only supported by the Wii U is sort of like a "Mii Universe".
That sounds...weird. And very nintendo. Sucrose names are kind of their 'thing' isn't it? (looking at you N3DS)

It's a siren, people.

WEE OOOO WEE OOO WEE OOO!

'-'

Reactions: PersonSP, 532 and Mikaya
The U in Wii U means that Nintendo is doing a complete U turn, Where they will be going back to the days from the NES,SNES & N64. Where they can make the Wii U better, just like the golden times.

As far as I know, @Kudzai's explanation is the right one. Wii was for 'We', Wii U makes 'We You.' Nintendo tries a lot to be family-friendly and make the world a happy-happy place, dunnit.

As Kudzai said, the U in Wii U is directed towards a wide audience, Eg: A family.

Now that we have seen a pattern of names that Nintendo regularly chooses, who thinks that Nintendo will name their next console Wii U Mii? :p

Nintendo's really great at making games and consoles, but when it comes to thinking of creative names, they fall...short.

Reactions: Kiki
Yup I would totally agree with Kudzai , I was too wondering about that topic and knowing this thread , The Wii U is named after the idea of the Wii being " We " and the U being the " You " . I find this kinda of a great conclusion to this kinda topic . Also Nintendo Cosmos said that is is like a U turn to some of the old consoles , which I would kinda agree in a way , but not too completely

The Sound that a whale makes:
"Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!"
also it means ULTIMATE!

It's a siren, people.

WEE OOOO WEE OOO WEE OOO!

'-'
Mystery solved!

Glad I could help :giggle:

Back