What if the switch didn’t come with a dock

• Thread starter AricAttack
  • Start date
AricAttack

AricAttack

Pittoo
Towns Folk
So the switch is normally $300 but what if it didn’t have a dock. It would probably be more around new 3ds XL price cause the dock is $80-$90, which means that you would have to use it in handheld all the time before you got a dock. So what I’m trying to say is, if it didn’t have a dock included would you go to the store to buy one?

So what I’m trying to say is, if it didn’t have a dock included would you go to the store to buy one?
Probably not. I play more in handheld mode than TV but I'm glad the dock was included because of TV play.

Reactions: Starry Windy, Mikaya and AricAttack
Since I would only spend a few hours on TV Mode, a cheaper, handheld-only version of Switch is ideal for me.
I have more hours played on any single handheld console I have than the home consoles all together.

Reactions: AricAttack
I wouldn't wanna be stuck playing handheld mode all the time. As much as I enjoy the portability, I prefer bigger screens when I play my games, I want the most of out of any console. Battery life is reduced when in handheld mode as well (Playing for extended periods can effect it). There's no doubt I'd go out and purchase a dock immediately. Using the grip suits me well too, As opposed to the Joycons attached to the side or separately (In Tabletop mode).

I'm mainly a handheld user so I most likely wouldn't have gotten a dock, until Splatoon 2 came out. Splatoon 2 is really the only game I like having on my tv and it kills me that I can't play in handheld mode. I use motion for Splatoon 2 so handheld isn't ideal for that. So I am super glad they included it from the get go because I most likely would have waited and I would have spent less time playing Splatoon 2.

Reactions: AricAttack and Mikaya
A version of a dock was actually considered by Nintendo but the decided not to do that since it may confuse consumers into believing they could use it on their TV when they really couldn’t :panda:

Reactions: Starry Windy, AricAttack and Mikaya
It would be nice for nintendo to also sell it separately so in the case my switch gets broken or something I wouldn't have to buy everything again. In any other case I wouldn't buy the switch without the dock, being able to play it on a big screen is a must for local multiplayer.

Last edited:
Reactions: AricAttack and Mikaya
Even though I'm a handheld user most of the time, the fact that I can play Switch in console mode is pretty cool because it's enjoyable when I'm playing Switch on my TV, while charging it at the same time. That's why I want the Switch to have the dock inside the package no matter what, because not having one feels incomplete for me.

I honestly almost exclusively use it handheld, but for multiplayer games or games like arms where disconnected joycons are preferable i like having the big screen. Though it is awesome that i can still play these kinds of games using the stand, the visual and sound boosts are great on the tv. Splatoon 2 and other games not involving unique motion control (like arms and oddessy) i prefer playing with the whole console in my hands. It might have to do with how much i liked the weight of the wii u gamepad in my hands, but i like it that way.

Back