What is DI and what does it do in-game?

• Thread starter BeastMode
  • Start date
BeastMode

BeastMode

The Ultimate Gamer
Towns Folk
I can’t seem to find an answer to this question that I can understand. Can anybody please help? The question is what is DI. Not only what it stands for, but what does it do in-game/mean. Any help is appreciated. Thanks everyone!

You probably mean directional influence? If you do, I’m not that good at explaining :p

DI is useful any time you get hit. It's more important when you're on the brink of getting KO'd but it's also useful for getting out of combos. Basically you just move your control stick in or out and/or up or down and it changes your trajectory a little bit. You typically want to DI towards the stage or away for combos. If you DI in and you are going to land next to a player you are more likely to eat this megasmash.

Reactions: BeastMode
DI is useful any time you get hit. It's more important when you're on the brink of getting KO'd but it's also useful for getting out of combos. Basically you just move your control stick in or out and/or up or down and it changes your trajectory a little bit. You typically want to DI towards the stage or away for combos. If you DI in and you are going to land next to a player you are more likely to eat this megasmash.
Ok thanks! Now I understand why DI is so important. Now can you answer this quick question for me please? What’s considered good/bad DI? Noobie question. I know. Sorry.

I got into the habit of doing that whenever I’m being launched (it’s saved me quite a few times), I just didn’t know the term for it. I just didn’t know that you can do it in combos. How do you DI out of combos? Do you just tilt the right stick down?
You probably mean directional influence? If you do, I’m not that good at explaining :p
I think so...????...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks! Now I understand why DI is so important. Now can you answer this quick question for me please? What’s considered good/bad DI? Noobie question. I know. Sorry.

I got into the habit of doing that whenever I’m being launched (it’s saved me quite a few times), I just didn’t know the term for it. I just didn’t know that you can do it in combos. How do you DI out of combos? Do you just tilt the right stick down?

I think so...????...
Bad DI is typically no DI (it's also easier for people who practice combos in training to combo on you if you do that), DI towards the blast zone as you're getting launched guaranteeing a lost stock, or just not mixing up your DI so you're always predictable and the other player reads it. DI on combos isn't universal because if it were then the game would be too simple. It really depends on the character you're fighting. True combos can't be escaped when done that typically start in the low or mid range percentages but for example Mario or ZSS up air laddering you can be avoided by moving away since their horizontal movement isn't as good especially when they are jumping but you'd need a character with a good enough airspeed to be able to avoid it too. I think if you use air dodge at the right point when someone messes up a combo that's your best bet but you're last line of defense is usually DI or maybe specials.

Reactions: BeastMode
Bad DI is typically no DI (it's also easier for people who practice combos in training to combo on you if you do that), DI towards the blast zone as you're getting launched guaranteeing a lost stock, or just not mixing up your DI so you're always predictable and the other player reads it. DI on combos isn't universal because if it were then the game would be too simple. It really depends on the character you're fighting. True combos can't be escaped when done that typically start in the low or mid range percentages but for example Mario or ZSS up air laddering you can be avoided by moving away since their horizontal movement isn't as good especially when they are jumping but you'd need a character with a good enough airspeed to be able to avoid it too. I think if you use air dodge at the right point when someone messes up a combo that's your best bet but you're last line of defense is usually DI or maybe specials.
Thanks a lot for the responses! This was extremely helpful for me!

Back