What is Fire Emblem?

• Thread starter Samster
  • Start date
Samster

Samster

*secretly has a crush on Marina
Towns Folk
Okay, so basically, the reason I’m asking this is because I have never played the series, apart from Fire Emblem Heroes, and a demo for Fire Emblem Awakening. So, I don’t know much about it, tbh. I’ve been wondering which game to start with, but I’m worried that all the games are connected with one big story. So, would you guys mind helping me out here and recommending which game I should start with first?

Reactions: Duffy
Ok so it’s not all connected with one big story. Same games are connected, not all. It’s like the legend of zelda, story wise (the main character’s name is different though, even though most are blue haired-lords, princes or kings). The basics of each game is that it’s a tactics rpg where each character has their own stats and such. You and an ai take turns commanding these characters to attack and defend on a battlefield. The catch? Permadeath. Most games change depending on who lives and who you got killed, and who ends up with each other. Characters grow attached to each other by battling in the same battles as each other and on tiles next to each other as well as other ways in some games. Once they like each other enough they get funny little support conversations so you csn learn about how their relationship has profressed.

If you want I can point you at some good gsmes to start off with.

Reactions: Samster
Ok so it’s not all connected with one big story. Same games are connected, not all. It’s like the legend of zelda, story wise (the main character’s name is different though, even though most are blue haired-lords, princes or kings). The basics of each game is that it’s a tactics rpg where each character has their own stats and such. You and an ai take turns commanding these characters to attack and defend on a battlefield. The catch? Permadeath. Most games change depending on who lives and who you got killed, and who ends up with each other. Characters grow attached to each other by battling in the same battles as each other and on tiles next to each other as well as other ways in some games. Once they like each other enough they get funny little support conversations so you csn learn about how their relationship has profressed.

If you want I can point you at some good gsmes to start off with.
Oh, please do! I’ve been interested in the series for quite a while now, so that would be great if you could recommend some games to start off with.

Oh, please do! I’ve been interested in the series for quite a while now, so that would be great if you could recommend some games to start off with.
If you have a 3ds, start with Fire Emblem Awakening or Fire Emblem Echoes- Shadows of Valentia.
Awakening let’s you customize your avatar and you play as yourself basically. The game also lets you get characters married if they get to the end of their support conversations.

Echoes (Shadows of Valentia) is a remake of an nes game that only released in japan and it’s more traditional. You don’t play as an avatar, and other characters have less freedom to decide who they end up with. The Story for this game is top notch (better then awakening in my opinion, not that that game has a bad story either).

I’d reccomend you start with awakening. It gives you more freedom which I find s good feature. I wouldn’t wait for the switch fire emblem, we haven’t seen much and from what I have seen I am not sure how good it will be yet.

If you have a 3ds, start with Fire Emblem Awakening or Fire Emblem Echoes- Shadows of Valentia.
Awakening let’s you customize your avatar and you play as yourself basically. The game also lets you get characters married if they get to the end of their support conversations.

Echoes (Shadows of Valentia) is a remake of an nes game that only released in japan and it’s more traditional. You don’t play as an avatar, and other characters have less freedom to decide who they end up with. The Story for this game is top notch (better then awakening in my opinion, not that that game has a bad story either).

I’d reccomend you start with awakening. It gives you more freedom which I find s good feature. I wouldn’t wait for the switch fire emblem, we haven’t seen much and from what I have seen I am not sure how good it will be yet.
All right then, Awakening it is! Thanks for your help! :D

All right then, Awakening it is! Thanks for your help! :D
Just make sure to choose classic mode, because it’s better with permadeath on, as you take it more seriously.

Okay, so basically, the reason I’m asking this is because I have never played the series, apart from Fire Emblem Heroes, and a demo for Fire Emblem Awakening. So, I don’t know much about it, tbh. I’ve been wondering which game to start with, but I’m worried that all the games are connected with one big story. So, would you guys mind helping me out here and recommending which game I should start with first?

Don't worry about starting with the "wrong" one, storywise most of them aren't in the same universe

I wouldn't recommend to start with the 3DS Fire Emblem games; Awakening's map design is pretty bad and the story is lackluster at best. Fates: Conquest has a much worse story but much better gameplay. Fire Emblem Echoes: SoV has a great story, characters and presentation, but maps are plain at best and dreadful at worst.
Fates: Brithright and Fates: Revelations fail at every possible level

If you have a Wii U, I would really recommend to get both GBA games avaliable. The Blazing Sword (Just called Fire Emblem in the west) is easily the best to start with. It has a very good difficulty curve, and a 10 chapters prologue specifically made for to introduce those who never played a Fire Emblem game. It also has a great story, that starts off simple but it unveils as you progress through the game.

Sacred Stones is the other FE GBA game in the Wii U. Is also a game recommended to start with, tho I would advise to never touch the Tower of Ivaldi until you beat the final boss. The game is already pretty easy and grinding just makes it boring

The Tellius games (aka FE 9 + FE 10, aka Ike's games) are my favorites, but they introduce a bunch of mechanics that could get overwhelming to those just starting with the series

As a last few tips:
- Never play in Casual Mode. The whole point of the series was to make every character feel important, to teach the character to be mindful andcareful with the lives of their units, and every map is designed with the permadeath system in mind. Making you fallen units come back after dying hurts the game's difficulty to the point that it destroys any meaningful strategy the palyer can come up with. If you want the game to go easy on you, just play on easy mode.
tl;dr Only ever play classic mode

As a second tip, watch Mekkkah's Fire Emblem pitfall series on Youtube. They are great starter guides that will help you out no to fall into noob traps

storywise they are mostly not connected, but some games have connections

fire emblem blazing sword happens 20 years before sword of seals (the game of roy) but anyway the story of these two games are only connected by one story arc, but blazing sword is easier anyway so its better to play it before sword of seals
also, there is a bad ending in sword of seals, just a warning so you dont have to repeat the game because you didnt do certain things

new mystery is a sequel to shadow dragon , mystery also has a bad ending, and i would say to check a guide on how to get the good ending (some shards are well hidden)

fire emblem shadow of valentia happens after shadow dragon and the postgame have some... insterentings info about something in awakenign, but only 4 characters from shadow dragon appears , i think you should play it before playing new mystery, you will know why when you see "him" but overrall is not neccesary

3 awakening character appears in fates, wich i think is pointless,they are irrelevant in the story and they have no more reason than "i must do good things because i am one of the heroes"

radiant dawn is a sequel to path of radiance, you can tranfer your save from POR and get some bonuses that way
every other game is unconected

difficulty wise, i would say is better to start with sacred stones, awakening or fates: birthirg , but have in mind that fates have a very bad history that had a lot of potential

I've been wondering about the Fire Emblem series for a while too. I havent played a single Fire Emblem game.

This covered the basics for me. Now I'm less interested in the story and just care about when the next one with an online feature. Of course turn based strategy does appeal to me more than real-time strategy so odds are if I get tired of Smash I'll try them.

This covered the basics for me. Now I'm less interested in the story and just care about when the next one with an online feature. Of course turn based strategy does appeal to me more than real-time strategy so odds are if I get tired of Smash I'll try them.
weell, thats kinda innacurate for most of the series, specially the "marriage" part ,also ,the story for tree houses is possibly the best in the series

also the online mode of FE games (when they have one) tend to be unbalanced and easy to hack your way to victory, it would be better if the units in online mode had fixed stats/skills and you could use a minimum of 10 characters in a online battle

Back