what is persona and shin segami?

• Thread starter codyplays
  • Start date
codyplays

codyplays

Pancake
Towns Folk
I know I sound like a dumby since I only play Pokemon,smash,dq,Zelda,and other Nintendo titles. I have heard good things about persona but I really don't know what it is. Shin segami I have never heard about period.i have heard that persona is an RPG(which I do enjoy alot)and I think shin segami is a fighting game.(not sure) just want some info since these are some the only games IV never heard about.

Shin Megami Tensei is the main series and the franchise on the whole, and can probably be described as "a far more complicated Pokemon, only with demons, death, a lot of darkness, and a stupendously high difficulty level." Rather than catching adorable little creatures and using them in largely consensual battles, you're using demons/angels/mythological creatures to defend yourself from other demons/angels/mythological creatures, which are trying to rip you apart. And usually joining in yourself with swords, guns, and magic. And then usually dying, because it's really hard.

It's a pretty bleak series. God is definitely not good. Lucifer is... usually not that bad, instead embodying freedom (and all the horrors of anarchy that can ensue). If you look deep enough, there are a lot of philosophical references and ideas in there. Or you can just summon demons to hit other demons. Still, if you're deeply religious, be warned that it might well offend.

Persona is one of the many, many spin-off series, and while usually dark, it's also a lot less weighty than the main series. I'm not going to go into the first two Persona games, but Persona 3 and 4 cast you as a high school student who has to deal with day-to-day life (going to school, passing exams, joining clubs, making friends) while fighting monsters by night.

The Persona games rely a lot on side-characters and a mini social-simulator, and that really makes them stand out. The fact that they're tremendously well-written and have a fast and well-made RPG battle engine also help. They're still brutally hard, but a lot less complicated and a lot more "fun" than the main series games. They're often laugh-out-loud funny and have a lot of fun with the concept of high-school students being the only thing standing between the world and the apocalypse, but they also take their subject matter pretty seriously.

Persona 4 has also had a pair of fighting games, which are made by Arc System Works (Guilty Gear, BlazBlue) and thus are really, really good.

I've been over this in another thread recently, but if you want to get started with the series, Persona 3 is probably the best place to begin, in any of its many releases.

TL;DR: Shin Megami Tensei is Pokemon that'll make you question religion. Persona is a spin-off series about the joys of having to balance fighting monsters with going to school. Both are pretty hardcore JRPG series, but Persona is by far the simpler and more accessible of the lot.

Reactions: Rykito, 18, Ashkil and 1 other person
:stop:thanks after knowing what it is I probably won't get it since I am kind of against some of the things in shin sgami and not against persona but not something I want to play right now atleast.not downgrading the games but thanks for the info

@Fyzzu explained it perfectly. Basically Persona games are focussed on the social aspects, with better characters, music and stories. Shin Megami Tensei games are more focussed on the RPG gameplay aspect, with a much more epic story with the fate of the universe in the balance and whatnot.

Reactions: 18
A minor comment, the main series is called Megami Tensei, or Megaten for short.

Shin Megami Tensei is the main crazy line of games, while the Devil Survivor, Persona, Devil Summoner, etc, are spin-offs, but the series as a whole is called Megami Tensei.

...Btw, don't EVER call Shin megami tensei a spin-off of persona, or call persona the main series, not on a megaten forum, you'll get flamed for life, i mean it xD

Reactions: 18
So imagine yugioh and pokemon combined into one. Except now put in blood, some tense language, some demons, and some tough enemies and bam you got yourself a SMT game. The games are really fun but also have mature themes. It's worth playing, especially the persona series.

Back