What is the difference between individual and family Switch Online Membership?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Some more information about Switch Online has been revealed and it's up now on Nintendo of America's official website - https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

Scrolling down to the Pricing Plans category, you'll find two sections :

v1BXfeS.png

I'm wondering what the difference is between the individual membership and the family membership for Nintendo Switch Online. Family membership is $15 US more than individual membership :redpanda:

My only guess is that Switch Online will be available for all profiles on the console.

Well YOU ARE WRONG!
For Membership, it is for one person, no one else. For family it is used on up to 8 accounts (well know I wish you were right) and if you parents play nintendo switch, it might be a good deal. It only 15 bucks extra for 1 year instead of 40+ bucks for 1 child and 1 parent and maybe 1 other person (for a year)

Apparently you can set which account will be part of family online subscriptions by setting it on Nintendo Account starting at May 15th, which is kind of neat. This makes me wondering, can I add multiple Ninty accounts of different regions this way? That would be great if it's possible.

Last edited:
So can 8 people share the price as friends? Would be way cheaper that way

So the way it works from what I know is that the family thing can allow you to add up to 8 switches. Its based on Nintendo account. I'm not sure though if say, you try and add a EU account onto a subscription that's on an NA account for example. But I'm not sure that would work from a reasonable standpoint. However, if its based on switches, if that doesn't work then maybe adding a NA account onto a switch then connecting that to the other account with a subscription might benefit an EU account profile on that switch but I also doubt that would work.

I think it would be better for the family to share one account, then have to pay more, when they could just share.

I think it would be better for the family to share one account, then have to pay more, when they could just share.
Everyone shares the same splatoon rank. Everyone shares the same arms presets.
See the problem? Many games use accounts as save files. I am glad nintendo is acknowledging that families of 4 aren’t the only ones in existence, but i also hope that they allow us to change who the 8 people are because i have 9 people in my family and it would be nice to share with the family member who moved out.

Also, I noticed that for the family deal you must be 18 or older and save your payment info on the system. Hopefully that doesn’t turn away my parents from it, as they don’t like the risk of having that info on the shop, as it has previously been used to buy more games than intended.

Back