PkMn Go What Pokemon go did wrong.

• Thread starter VirtulJordan
  • Start date
VirtulJordan

VirtulJordan

Pokemon Master
Towns Folk
With Pokemon Go fest being a huge bombshell that even has the developers of the game being sued over it, it seems like the perfect time to talk about what Pokemon Go did wrong to lose so many players and is even now getting a very big backlash despite the new update adding Legendary Pokemon. Let's start off by saying Pokemon Go is a dream come true for Pokemon players. Walking outside, catching Pokemon you see with your camera, it's a very simple idea that could go along way. But Niantic made some changes for this game that should have never happened.

Now it's understandable that some things do need to change to keep a series fresh. However, Niantic decided that what should have been changed was Pokemon's own battle formula. This caused the game to be much much less competitive and strategic for Veteran players as the Battle System was completely changed and dulled down. The battle system in Pokemon was an already perfected one that people have come to love. Out of all the things to change in the Pokemon series, no one really has an issue with the battle formula.

Outside of that they also lacked interactivity with other trainers. One of the most basic concepts in Pokemon, even dating back to the original games, was for some reason not added to the start of Pokemon Go, and I believe it's still not added to this day. That would be trading, one of the many basic features cut out with interacting with other trainers. On a side note, they also didn't add any other features to help interact with other trainers as well, so that explains why people walked around like zombies in their phones when they could have been socializing with one another Via the game that everyone was playing.

And finally, Pokemon Go aimed at the wrong people. When Pokemon Go released, everyone was playing it. You couldn't walk 5 feet without seeing a group of people on their phones playing it. Even people who have only heard of Pokemon but never gotten into the series played it. But now that the hype has died down, quite a few people stopped playing it. Why is that? Could it be that the game lacks the competitive edge most Pokemon players look for? Could it be that beyond capturing Pokemon and helping whatever team you joined, there was no other point to the game or any interaction with other players? Could it be that Pokemon go rode on the hype everyone was giving it and when that died down so did the game? The answer is yes to all of those. Pokemon Go made unnecessary changes that made hardcore Pokemon fans back away. And Pokemon Go didn't add enough to keep people on it regularly so the hype for it eventually died down.

It's easy to add some new features to keep people in. Add Pokemon Contests where you can win ribbons for your Pokemon. Have little customizable outfits for your Pokemon to make them stand out and be unique from other peoples. have a way to make friends with new people and even have little minigames you can play with another person for in game rewards. Just little additions like those could have gone a long way into keeping the game fresh, as well as to keep a wide audience of people happy. So what do you think? Do you still like Pokemon Go? Could you never get into the game? What changes of additions would have made you happy with the game?

Reactions: Arshan
For the most part I agree with what you said. Although I personally do not think Pokemon Go was targetted at the wrong people. I know where you are coming from with the "competitive" players argument and it is true that a very large portion of pokemon players are competitive, however Pokemon Go is really just another Pokemon spin-off, just on a mobile device. And pretty much all the spin-offs don't really have much of a competitive aspect to them. I really don't think Niantic was aiming for the casual audience, as they clearly were not prepared for the huge amount of players (servers crashed 24/7!!!). I wouldn't have expected something like a full on battle mechanic for a game that isn't main series. And even if there was I'm sure most competitive gamers still wouldn't be playing competitive on Pokemon Go when they can play on their actual copy of Sun or Moon or something.
Something I'd like to add was that Niantic did not release new features fast enough to keep players playing. It was a few months before any game changing updates happened (trading was added first I think). It was quite a while until another gen of pokemon came out, and oh god events didn't happen for a long time. Plus, the game could have gotten more players if they released it a little later so they could release it in more countries to increase player base. Countries like India especially had lots of players waiting (a lot didn't know how to hack it on their phones) and by the time it got there the hype for the game was done.

Reactions: VirtulJordan
For the most part I agree with what you said. Although I personally do not think Pokemon Go was targetted at the wrong people. I know where you are coming from with the "competitive" players argument and it is true that a very large portion of pokemon players are competitive, however Pokemon Go is really just another Pokemon spin-off, just on a mobile device. And pretty much all the spin-offs don't really have much of a competitive aspect to them. I really don't think Niantic was aiming for the casual audience, as they clearly were not prepared for the huge amount of players (servers crashed 24/7!!!). I wouldn't have expected something like a full on battle mechanic for a game that isn't main series. And even if there was I'm sure most competitive gamers still wouldn't be playing competitive on Pokemon Go when they can play on their actual copy of Sun or Moon or something.
Something I'd like to add was that Niantic did not release new features fast enough to keep players playing. It was a few months before any game changing updates happened (trading was added first I think). It was quite a while until another gen of pokemon came out, and oh god events didn't happen for a long time. Plus, the game could have gotten more players if they released it a little later so they could release it in more countries to increase player base. Countries like India especially had lots of players waiting (a lot didn't know how to hack it on their phones) and by the time it got there the hype for the game was done.
Side game or not there's no reason for the battle system to have been changed. The reason for this is that it's not a side game like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon Ranger, Pokken tournament, Pokemon Shuffle, or even that Magikarp Jump game. Pokemon Go plays like an actual Pokemon game. From running around to catching Pokemon to battling trainers. As far as side games go its the closest to using the actual Pokemon formula. And so by taking away the already good battle system that's basic enough for beginners but deep enough for advanced players to get into, It's only appealing to newcomers rather than veteran Pokemon players. And I know it seems that competitive players would rather play a main line Pokemon game, but a lot of competitive players were looking forward to this game as it could have had a real competitive edge with how you collect and train Pokemon. But getting rid of that competitive edge took away a lot of potential for Pokemon Go, as well as any reason to really stick around the game. As far as everything you listed I agree. Should have been released faster for other countries, and updates should have been added more regularly to help give people reasons to visit back to the game regularly.

I think Niantic should of released the legendaries until next year I kind of feel like they rushed a bit I downloaded the app on December and thought it was boring becasue it wastes your phone battery really quick and your LTE phone wifi runs out faster and also one thing that they messed up was that many Pokémon Go players are catching a lot of legendariee and I kind of feel like they are getting spoiled for getting everything they want also they want to attract more gamers by putting more legendaries in the game to catch and the more people download the game then the more money they get.

You're right about the battle mechanics because if you compare the turn-based Pokémon tradition with the Neanderthal tap to attack of PkMn go you lose the feel of Pokémon. Like when the time of release, I thought I'd be able to go far in the game because of moderate knowledge of types, moves etc. but then all you have to do it's tap to attack and also no status moves and they even choose your team for you.:/

Back