• Start date

What kind of battle system do you want?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Michael554466

Michael554466

AC:NL - The Villager
Towns Folk
We are all excited for the next pokemon installment, especially since the 3DS limitations are lifted.
This thread is open for everyone to express what they are excited for in the next main-line pokemon RPG game!

Also, take part in the poll for what battle system you want in the new game.

I can't wait to hear your ideas!

So, what i want in a pokemon switch game is to have an open world region that allows you to start off in one of 3 towns. You then pick your pokemon from your local pokemon professor and go on your way.
Gyms will get harder each time you beat one to stick to the raises in gym difficulty in previous games, allowing you to do them in any order.
The story will be dynamic to your order, having events in different areas that can be done in any order, adding up to one plot-line as it comes together as you go on.
Pokemon will be found by going through tall grass as usual, only that a dynamic animation will occur on encounter to look like it jumped out at you. The battle system could ether be turn-based or a hybrid between that and real-time. It would have dynamic transitions between attacks and when replayed from recording, it all renders into one smooth fight.

I also want a pokemon diamond/pearl /platinum remake to be a stunning 3d world with all the dynamic animations of encounters, battles and general world traversing.

I'm just so excited about pokemon on the switch!

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be kind of refreshing to see a hybrid of real time turn-based kind of Pokemon Game. Even so, Pokemon should stick to the same elements that made the game what it is today.

Reactions: Michael554466
Because this is the first Switch Pokemon game, they should probably bring over everything they did with Sun/Moon and more, in order to attract Pokemon fans.

The second game can change up the formula.

They're moving to a new console they already has unfamiliar elements to old players. I don't think changing the battle system in a good idea when you're changing the console a game is played on, especially Pokemon. I feel like that would alienate a lot of fans, including myself. If Pokemon went full real time I probably wouldn't be as interested in the new Switch game. I don't mind change, and the battle system isn't perfect as it is, but it's what makes Pokemon what it is. Changing makes it become... not Pokemon

They're moving to a new console they already has unfamiliar elements to old players. I don't think changing the battle system in a good idea when you're changing the console a game is played on, especially Pokemon. I feel like that would alienate a lot of fans, including myself. If Pokemon went full real time I probably wouldn't be as interested in the new Switch game. I don't mind change, and the battle system isn't perfect as it is, but it's what makes Pokemon what it is. Changing makes it become... not Pokemon

Full real-time wouldn't be well accepted, it just wouldn't be the same, I agree

I would expect something similar to Colosseum and XD, but without all the battles being double teams and of course, using newer tech. That's about the closest comparative model for a Pokemon Switch game.

I would not expect something close to Colosseum or XD Galenof darkness. This game will likely beain series, and may even bring back the classic 8 gym structure. I'd expect 8 gyms, elite 4/ champion, single battles, normal starters (fire water grass) and all the works. No new battle system either. But we will see what happens

I would not expect something close to Colosseum or XD Galenof darkness. This game will likely beain series, and may even bring back the classic 8 gym structure. I'd expect 8 gyms, elite 4/ champion, single battles, normal starters (fire water grass) and all the works. No new battle system either. But we will see what happens

It does make sense if they play it safe, saving their new ideas for the next new game.
It could be possible that they release the Sinnoh remake to tick the safe box.
But it is unknown if they release it first. I'm excited for ether one.

Reactions: Duffy
It does make sense if they play it safe, saving their new ideas for the next new game.
It could be possible that they release the Sinnoh remake to tick the safe box.
But it is unknown if they release it first. I'm excited for ether one.
Honestly they play it very safe most of the time. That's pretty much the base of my prediction, that they won't really try to do more than 2 things new.

Honestly they play it very safe most of the time. That's pretty much the base of my prediction, that they won't really try to do more than 2 things new.

Could you think what those two things would be?
I think that battle animations will look better, maybe more dynamic and of course the UI has to be redesigned to fit the switch.

The alternative course they could take is just starting from where Gen VII's engine left off and build from there, like they've been doing since Gen III. Even though they are spin-offs, Colosseum and XD are/were for a long time the closest to a main-series Pokemon title for console since it built off the main-series engine rather faithfully. That's why I made the comparison.

Could you think what those two things would be?
I think that battle animations will look better, maybe more dynamic and of course the UI has to be redesigned to fit the switch.
Changes to the UI and character models etc. for sure. But in terms of the 2 new things they will probably shock me and be crazy (like how SM had the rotom photo finder thing, or how USUM had the alolan photo club. They probably be small fun side minigames if I had to guess.

Changes to the UI and character models etc. for sure. But in terms of the 2 new things they will probably shock me and be crazy (like how SM had the rotom photo finder thing, or how USUM had the alolan photo club. They probably be small fun side minigames if I had to guess.
They need to add more minigames like Mantine Surfing (I love Mantine Surfing). It gives the game more fun after you've completed the main story as well as the post game.

Reactions: Duffy
They need to add more minigames like Mantine Surfing (I love Mantine Surfing). It gives the game more fun after you've completed the main story as well as the post game.
The thing about minigames in pokemon games is that they come and go. The theory I have is called the "2 steps forward, one step backwards" theory. Basically whenever Game freak makes a new pokemon game they take, well as you might guess, 2 steps forward and then one step backwards. The one step backwards always seems to be the mini games, and they delete old games, and make new ones. Remember the slot machines? Gone. Voltorb flip? Gone. Pikachu Surfing? Gone. Pokealthlon? Gone. But then they make new mini games, examples being mantine surfing, alolan photon club, rotom photo thingy. Basically what I'm saying is I would not expect any of the aforementioned games to be in Pokemon Switch, but rather 2 or 3 all new mini games (If it is a Sinnoh, remake, maybe contests will return???).

Reactions: pokerus
What I want from the switch of Pokemon is a lot. One of the things I want so bad is Pokemon following you. I loved that feature from Heart Gold and Soul Silver you could set whatever Pokemon that is in your party to be your following Pokemon and don't lie you totally want Nebby to follow you.

I have a few features I want to see back, as well as some new ones:

-Pokemon following you (more like how Heart Gold and Soul Silver did it, because the first time that feature existed was in Pokemon Yellow, and it's limited to the Pikachu you started with).

-A 3D open world like Breath of the Wild (but make some limitations so you won't fight a level 60 when you start)

-A new battle system. I actually chose real-time in the poll, because I want to see something new, and not the same formula repeated.

-The Battle Frontier, or something completely new if they actually change the Battle system

-Make shinies and legendaries worth something. As much as I like to battle and catch legendaries or be surprised by a shiny, they are (almost) worthless now. In Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon you can catch legendaries and shinies in no time, and many people find ways to cheat perfect IVs shiny legendaries. That makes them completely worthless, to the point where the GTS is flooded by them. When in the first generations catching a legendary or a shiny was special, now they're not.

-Better graphics. The Switch is stronger than the 3DS, so they can make better looking games out of it.

-Multiple regions. The only games that could do that were Gold, Silver Crystal, Heart Gold and Soul Silver, and I loved it. In fact, it's one of the biggest reasons I like Gold/Silver/Crystal the most.

-Get rid of the new Exp. Share. Introduced in X and Y, the new Exp. Share, when enabled, shares the Exp. earned in a battle to all Pokemons. Before that, it was a hold item, that when held by a Pokemon, it gives it a part of the Exp. earned in a battle. It makes the game too easy, and if you choose to disable it, it's annoying when you don't use it but always see it in your bag.

-Make it harder. Pokemon Sun and Moon are considered to be one of the hardest in the main series, and they weren't even hard for me. Yes, they were harder than X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, but it's still not enough.

-Do something bigger with Looker. One of the most interesting characters in the series, Looker, was barely seen in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. I wish he would get a bigger appearance, at least like in Platinum.

-Don't explain the battle system unless it's new. I'm tired of the start of every game, when they teach you how to battle, how to catch Pokemons and how it works. When I was young and I didn't even know English (not like it's perfect now... also some of my games were in German, and the only way to get what it's saying was to ask my mom to translate, or spend hours with Google Translate open), I learned by myself how to battle, while also getting some help from my brothers. I bet kids are not THAT dumb. And if they do make a tutorial, at least make it skippable or short.

-And finally, make the plot good. It's been so long since the last well written plot. In fact, in my opinion, the last one that was good was in Pokemon Black 2 and White 2. X and Y's plot was bad, ORAS's plot ruined the original Ruby and Sapphire (also Emerald), Sun and Moon's was okay, and I didn't play USUM but I heard it's very similar to Sun and Moon's.

That took a while...

Reactions: pokerus
I would absolutely love to see more than one region. And walking with Pokemon. I don't know how I feel about real time battle mechanical, though. I feel like the current mechanics are what makes Pokemon what it is. The probably won't change it either, since it is expected they are moving to the Switch. This is because they need to make a game that is new yet still familiar to the current fan base. I'd be very surprised if they changed the battle mechanics in their entirety. I would expect a new feature similar to mega evolution or Z-moves though. Don't get me wrong, if they could make real time battling work, I'd be down for it.

Back