Whats a good underrated competitive Pokemon team

• Thread starter rabbitninja2
  • Start date
R

rabbitninja2

Professor
Towns Folk
I've been wondering lately what a good team for competitive play would be. but i wouldn't want it to be predictable. any suggestions?

So you're trying to avoid the whole Talonflame/Rotom-W situation I presume.
Check the UU Tier list, there are a bunch of great Pokemon which people use less than usual. Mix in a few UU Pokemon with some OU Pokemon then you may have yourself a somewhat unique team :3

So you're trying to avoid the whole Talonflame/Rotom-W situation I presume.
Check the UU Tier list, there are a bunch of great Pokemon which people use less than usual. Mix in a few UU Pokemon with some OU Pokemon then you may have yourself a somewhat unique team :3
thanks maybe a team like this would work?
crawdaunt with swords dance, aqua jet, dark pulse, and crab hammer, holding a life orb and adaptability as its ability
mega-aggron with stealth rock, earthquake, toxic, and metal claw
abomasnow with a mixed attacker moveset
porygon-z with a double dance set
salamence with a dragon dance set and a ground plate as well as an undecided flying type move
shuckle with toxic, venoshock, rest, and infestation with a chesto berry and contrary as its ability

Reactions: J9794
crawdaunt with swords dance, aqua jet, dark pulse, and crab hammer, holding a life orb and adaptability as its ability
salamence with a dragon dance set and a ground plate as well as an undecided flying type move
shuckle with toxic, venoshock, rest, and infestation with a chesto berry and contrary as its ability

IMO, best way to check if it works is just trying it in Pokemon Showdown :D.
Just a few things I'd replace after a quick glance at your team:
Mega-Aggron, switch metal claw for iron head or heavy slam.
porygon-z, what do you mean by double-dance? porygon-z can also be a pretty good choice-scarf or choice-specs user, but if you wanna make it unpredictable you may pass on the chocie item.
Salamence, you mean ground plate for EQ? I'd rather use a lum berry, since the opponent will probably try to get burned or paralyzed.
Shuckle, venoshock won't do hardly any damage, if you wanna take advantage of contrary, switch it for shell smash, +2 boost on both defenses in a turn!

IMO, best way to check if it works is just trying it in Pokemon Showdown :D.
Just a few things I'd replace after a quick glance at your team:
Mega-Aggron, switch metal claw for iron head or heavy slam.
porygon-z, what do you mean by double-dance? porygon-z can also be a pretty good choice-scarf or choice-specs user, but if you wanna make it unpredictable you may pass on the chocie item.
Salamence, you mean ground plate for EQ? I'd rather use a lum berry, since the opponent will probably try to get burned or paralyzed.
Shuckle, venoshock won't do hardly any damage, if you wanna take advantage of contrary, switch it for shell smash, +2 boost on both defenses in a turn!
http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/porygon-z/ double dance is one of the recommended move sets
i wanted a ground plate on salamence to increase the damage of earthquake although giving it a berry would probably be a better idea
and your right i really should switch venoshock for shell smash

Any pokemon can become competitive if you made competitive. Let me explain. You should have your own pokemon strategy because pokemon is about strategy and also some predictions. Many people used the same strategy that other people had created much before them. This is why some people train pokemon but don't know how to use it. If you want to create a good pokemon team you should create your own team so it is not predictable but also creating a good strategy that your opponent will no see that comming.

Theyre are a lot of underated pokemon that can do some work. Take Scrafty as an example... Throw a life orb on that thing get a little knock off in there maybe a drain punch and a dragon dance and you have an amazing pokemon! You can put Moxie on it to get youre attack up even more then it would be with dragon drance OR you can put intimidate on it to lower the opponents attack! Just like @J9794 said, best way to test teams out is with showdown.

There is a HUGE list of underrated Pokémon. Just look for "Underdog Project" or "The Best Next Thing" in Smogon and you will see a lot of cool, effective and underrated sets and Pokémon

But if you are looking an Underrated team, look no further than this

Lord Emvee makes really good teams with underrated Pokémon in his "Pimp my Squad" series and Teambuilding series (That Cacturne team is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G)

As a final note:

Crawdaunt shouldn't use Dark Pulse, he is a Physicall attacker, use Knock Off instead
Mega Aggron should run Iron Head or Heavy Slam as his STAB, also having Rest over Toxic/EQ can be helpful
I like Abomasnow as a Mixed attacker, but having him in non-mega form... mmm
Porygon with a Double Dance set... no, Nasty Plot or Choice Specs/Scarf is much better
Salamence is not underrated, he is outclassed, that means people never use him because there is something that does the exact same job, but better, with less risk and more reward (Like Dragonite, Altaria or Mega Charizard X), also Salamence doesn't need Flying STAB unless is Mega
Don't use Shuckle unless you want a Sticky Web user... he is not underated, he is just bad as a defensive Pokémon, and he just does better as a Hyper Offensive lead (He is amazing at that), also, never use Venoshock in Shuckle, even when the enemy is poisoned, he does like 1%. Also, only use Contary if you are running Shell Smash, if not then go for Sturdy

Any pokemon can become competitive if you made competitive. Let me explain. You should have your own pokemon strategy because pokemon is about strategy and also some predictions. Many people used the same strategy that other people had created much before them. This is why some people train pokemon but don't know how to use it. If you want to create a good pokemon team you should create your own team so it is not predictable but also creating a good strategy that your opponent will no see that comming.

I totally agree with this. The best way to be unpredictable is making up your own strategy and training your Pokemon as you wish. But if you still want some RU suggestions, try Gastrodon with Storm Drain or Cinccino with Skill Link.

Back