What's More Important: Virtual Console or Apps?

• Thread starter Chronal
  • Start date
Chronal

Chronal

egirl no 1
Towns Folk
The Switch has been out for a couple months now and it has a lot of nice qualities. It has a nice single-player campaign game in Breath of the Wild, early multiplayer titles coming out like ARMS and Splatoon 2, and a nice selection of indie titles. The rest of the year seems to be filled with quality games from Mario Odyssey to Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

However, two things the Switch doesn't have that many consoles have is a working Virtual Console or any sorts of backwards compatibility, and apps such as Netflix and YouTube. These drawbacks seem to be brought up in many places when people talk about the Switch and its pros and cons.

The question stands, what is more important? We know a semblance of virtual console is coming with the internet service next year, but only 3 NES games have been confirmed. No further virtual console has been confirmed.

While apps may seem insignificant for the Switch, they have become almost an industry standard, with consoles usually having them at launch. Nintendo has let one Japanese app onto their system, but no plans for the future are coming. I, for one, would love to be able to sit in my bed and watch Netflix on a bigger screen than my phone, as I have no other tablet to use.

So, which of these too is more important to you?

Apps.

Backwards compatibility is very limited in scope, literally playing older games over and over, not much of value there.

They should focus on giving the console it's own content.

Reactions: Chronal
I think Virtual Console, but I have a reason for that:
Youtube will probably be the most important app for me, but I'm already used to watching it on my phone or PC, and I'm fine with my phone screen.
Because I am young, I wasn't able to play a lot of Nintendo games (which I love), especially old ones, so Virtual Console is my only choice for playing them (Emulating is illegal). I also love retro games so it is more important for me.
Don't think that I don't want apps on the Switch, of course I do, but I still prefer having virtual console games on the Switch (especially SNES, N64 Gamecube and GBA ones).

Reactions: Chronal
I honestly don´t have a nintendo switch to watch YouTube videos or watch netflix series, I have a nintendo switch just to play good games. I think this is even the reason why the nintendo switch doesn´t have those apps (I believe Reggie once said that), it is a gaming console, to play games. If I want to watch a film I have my pc or DVD or whatever device I can watch a movie on. I want the switch to play games.
On the other hand, I am not super crazy about the virtual console, I think it is fine and all that but I want to play new games. So, regarding the quesion about which one is more important, I would go for the virtual console, I don´t care about having spotify in my switch, I have my cellphone and I listen to music on my cellphone.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
I believe that Virtual Console is the way to go. Because, come on! Who doesn't want Virtual Console on the Switch? The only app I would use would be YouTube, so Virtual Console would definitely be my choice. I know a lot of people, myself included, that want to see Nintendo GameCube be the first batch of Virtual Console. I mean, seriously! Who wouldn't want to play Super Smash Bros. Melee or Super Mario Sunshine on the go? As well, the Joy-Con usage could be very interesting for gameplay mechanics. Personally, I would want to see either Animal Crossing or Wario World on there as well. The one GameCube game I would want the most is Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, no contest. What do you guys think? BTW I'm not saying I wouldn't want apps on there at all. I'm not trying to degrade apps either. I would just prefer to have Virtual Console more, as I have YouTube on my 3DS, as well as my computer. What do you guys think? Would you rather have apps, or Virtual Console?

You know, I actually think the Internet Browser is the most important but that's only because it was my most used app on the Wii U because it was so useful. But, in the terms of the topic at hand, I do think the Virtual Console is more important mainly because it is part of Nintendo's history and I think that the library needs to be more robust this time around, more like the Wii Virtual Console but this time around I want more focus on bringing more N64 games, introducing a variety of Gamecube games (form the most popular to the most obscure) and even more Wii games (if possible), while bringing many Sega consoles, like the Saturn and the Dreamcast! As for the apps, I do think that the Internet Browser is very important and if that comes then I would be happy but I wouldn't mind Netflix or Crunchyroll. If Nintendo gets the Virtual Console or the apps running in around Spring 2018, then I would be happy!

Virtual Console all the way. You can make a point about old games not being necessary all you like, but newer audiences can always have the chance of playing classic titles as well as allowing for a larger library of games to choose from. Besides, lets be real: if there's any chance Nintendo could wring out a few more dollars from their old games with only minor money spent on making a working VC wrapper for Switch, they'd probably do it.

Mind you, the alternatives are playing ROMs on emulators which is illegal in nearly all instances, and using an "[Insert console here] Classic" from Nintendo which doesn't seem to be effective from a practical standpoint if the limited stock and scalping is anything to go by.

Back