What's the best Paper Mario game?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Paper Mario: The Origami King is now out for the Nintendo Switch and I've been hearing mixed reviews about the game. One side is happy and love its humor, while the other completely hates it.

In your opinion, what's the best Paper Mario game and how does it compare with The Origami King?

My favorite is Thousand Year Door, but that’s the only one I’ve played.
I’ve still yet to play Origami King.

Paper Mario: The Origami King is now out for the Nintendo Switch and I've been hearing mixed reviews about the game. One side is happy and love its humor, while the other completely hates it.

In your opinion, what's the best Paper Mario game and how does it compare with The Origami King?
In my opinion, the best Paper Mario game is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. It's a pretty common pick, because it has a SPECTACULAR battle system, and amazing subplots and story. As well as interesting character personalities. That's because Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is an expansion of the original Paper Mario for the Nintendo 64. It's a clear improvement from that, and expands upon the ideas and mechanics of the original game, with great writing and excellent gameplay. While, Paper Mario: The Origami King is the latest entry in the series, and in comparison, an expansion and improvement of the well-written game with poor gameplay, Paper Mario: Color Splash. imo, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is still THE best game in the long-running franchise, but Paper Mario: The Origami King is definitely the one with the best writing, dialogue, and humor (which I think is an important part of ANY Paper Mario game. I like funny hahas) It also looks the best out of the Paper Mario games,if not THE best looking game on the Nintendo Switch's Library of games. The visuals look charming, pretty, and amazing! One of the most common praises of the game is the way it looks, and how the water flows. As well as its humor and dialogue. BUT the gameplay seems a bit off and very lacking, especially when compared to Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Paper Mario: The Origami King has a lot more exploration, and rewards the player for being attentive and focused, which is great for any game. Paper Mario: The Origami King does its locations and content a lot better than Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door I think. With very memorable areas and events that are wacky, charming, and surprisingly very well-written. In my opinion, Paper Mario: The Origami King is a close second.

Reactions: Gram
I only play Thousand-Year Door myself and I think it's better from what I heard from an RPG perspective. I do like Super Paper Mario but they didn't follow the formula at all and I haven't played that one enough to rate it. I'd also say I want to put Paper Jam up there but the fact that it's a crossover makes me wonder if I should actually call it a Paper Mario game. Without further ado here's what it has to offer.
Leveling not found on the Switch version but I'm not to concerned about but my friend didn't like.
Tons of gameplay with a lot of battles and exploration. No random encounters as expected. Plenty of sidequests, badges to collect, moves for your allies to get. Stylish command to get your star attack gauge up faster. You get to play as Peach and Bowser as well in between the main story. Post game is challenging but after that there's not much else left to do.

I do like it but there's definitely room for improvement. The battles might feel slow and the journey as entertaining and diverse as it is make me think if the story was character driven it would make for a better game (it was for Vivian/Yoshi but not for very long).

I might say the Switch version but only if there was variety in the gameplay as much as TTYD for example the Pikmin bit and the Bowser/Peach missions. If the Switch versions had badges at least I would start to be interested in it more.

Reactions: Sunny_Meows and Gram
I say it's Super Paper Mario, possibly because I haven't played much of TTYD, myself.

The minigames and card collecting add so much to an already amazing game. The humor, the dramatic sub-plot, the simple yet intuitive & fun platforming combat...

I want to 100% it someday.

Back