What's your favorite NES Sport Game?

• Thread starter DaAlex
  • Start date
DaAlex

DaAlex

AC:NL - The Villager
Towns Folk
Surprisingly, Tennis and Baseball were fairly okay on the NES, despite some obvious flaws in both of them. I didn't enjoy the ice hockey game or any of the golf games or the volleyball game on the NES system. I am a huge soccer fan, and the soccer game for the NES is okay at best (once you figure out the controls). Once you realize it's okay though, it seems that they're is only 2 buttons to control the ball and that it is almost impossible to win. To be fair, I still felt reasonably happy when I finally scored a goal for England (despite losing 13-1), however, it's just too hard to get past the CPU unless you are willing to put too much time towards it. Anyway, my favorite NES Sport Game, by far, was Techmo Bowl. I'm not even a huge fan of the NFL, but god this was a great game. I got very talented at getting past the opposition with the running styles (that actually made sense). Quite a few times, I wouldn't make it far enough on the 4th down to get a touchdown, so I took a 3-point field goal instead (but I didn't mind). Honestly, I could easily see myself playing this game again (I'll probably try it on the switch) as it is so addictive and so much better than any other sporting game on the NES.

Reactions: P2.0
I didn't play a lot of sports games on NES, but the ones I remember the most that I had fun with was Baseball, and Golf. For some reason, it was gut-bustingly hilarious whenever the golf ball fell into a sand trap when I used to play with my siblings. :hilarious:

And in Baseball, we tried to see what the secret was to making homeruns. We never did, and it usually ended up being foul-balls, but it was super exciting to see it when it did happen. :p

If this was Gamecube discussion I'd be all for talking to you about it because I've played so many Mario Sports games but as far as NES ones go you can't really ruin Golf other than the not so realistic power meter.

Unfortunately, I never really had any sports games for the NES. I bought mine at an old retro gaming shop from my university, and it only came with a couple of games. Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt were the main ones.

The closest I ever got to a sports game for the NES was Punch-Out!!, but I played it on Virtual Console. Wish I could have experienced it in its original glory!

Reactions: Deepak
Surprisingly, Tennis and Baseball were fairly okay on the NES, despite some obvious flaws in both of them. I didn't enjoy the ice hockey game or any of the golf games or the volleyball game on the NES system. I am a huge soccer fan, and the soccer game for the NES is okay at best (once you figure out the controls). Once you realize it's okay though, it seems that they're is only 2 buttons to control the ball and that it is almost impossible to win. To be fair, I still felt reasonably happy when I finally scored a goal for England (despite losing 13-1), however, it's just too hard to get past the CPU unless you are willing to put too much time towards it. Anyway, my favorite NES Sport Game, by far, was Techmo Bowl. I'm not even a huge fan of the NFL, but god this was a great game. I got very talented at getting past the opposition with the running styles (that actually made sense). Quite a few times, I wouldn't make it far enough on the 4th down to get a touchdown, so I took a 3-point field goal instead (but I didn't mind). Honestly, I could easily see myself playing this game again (I'll probably try it on the switch) as it is so addictive and so much better than any other sporting game on the NES.
The best I've played is NES Open. It's golf!

Back