What's your most favorite language to work with?

• Thread starter Megalegacy98
  • Start date
Megalegacy98

Megalegacy98

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
Out of all the programming languages, what is your favorite one to work with?

Mine right now is Java, but that may turn to C++ soon.

In order (based on the languages I know)
1. Java
2. C++
3. C
4. Python
5. Lua

1. Axe, but that's not an "industrial language" (if you see what I mean) so that doesn't really count :p
  2. C-like C++ (I mean "C++ but not writing code that most C++ coders would expect", more like "code that looks exactly like C (using malloc/free instead of new/delete) except that I also use functions that do not exist in C (defining operators on structs or whatever)").
  3. C
  4. z80 assembly
  5. C++-like C++
There are basically two reasons why I don't like Java. The first one is that it has to be installed and it's annoying to (I half failed a Java install on one of my PCs, so that Java would work in the terminal but not in any IDE, and when the teacher tried to "fix" it, Java stopped working everywhere. Thanks Java, I had to buy a Macbook just for you...). The second one is that it doesn't give me any choice. I mean, I agree that it's disgusting to put two classes in the same file, no one should do it. But it's not the compiler's job to say "I won't compile that, it's ugly", and I don't like that the compiler decides that for me.

And for Python, no idea, I never used it. It may appear in that list at some point.

Here are my preferences when it comes to programming languages, personally:

1. C++ (C++11 & C++14 made the thing way better)
2. C (For when I know I can do the project without the extra stuff C++ offers, or when I have to do it in C. Also used for fun)
3. Python (Mostly for small scripts when necessary, or using PyGame for fun and prototyping)
4. Haxe (Cross-Platform is easy, can use other languages' libraries when compiling for them)
5. D (C++ in some way, a bit funnier, but way less when you notice the lack of libs and IDEs)
6. Rust (Nice, but... huge executables, even for small programs (A small Piston app with nothing weighted 10Mb when compiled on Linux)

No Java because I can achieve cross-platform with Python, Haxe (the fun part being that you can compile it to Java), or even Rust. But I still need to get back to those last 3 ones, since it has been quite a while since last time I used them, and maybe they became even better than last time (maybe Rust ditched jemalloc to make programs smaller, or Haxe became easier to compile to C++ (HaxeFlixel was a pain for this), and D actually got an IDE that isn't the RAM-eating, processor-frying mess (in my case) that was Eclipse (Heck, it was just a plug-in for it)).

1. Scala - So elegant, very declarative, such improvement from java, wow.
2. Ruby - It's the one I work with, it gets stuff done, it's easy to write and to read, and it has a really fun metamodel to play with (even tho that might result in people making the code an impossible mess).
3. Haskell - It's the one I wish I worked with. One of the purest functional programming languages (even tho maybe I'd regret it if I had to do real stuff in it).
4. Smalltalk - This one is pure OOP. The IDE and the language are sort of the same thing and you can change it while you code which is pretty crazy. Also, is almost as old as C but has features of much newer languages.

1. C++
2. Java
3. C#
4. Esoteric languages. I just love them even though they may not be very.. practical :p
5. Lua

Java and Lua I learnt through games. Java mainly from Minecraft modding, and lua from gmod and Minecraft mods (computercraft is a good example). C++ and C# I learnt over time while messing around trying to make my own game.

Esoteric languages are amazing to mess around with when bored though, most are quite simple too (once you understand what it all does :p)

I would put python (I've only ever really bothered to learn 2.7) since it's the language I most know, but since I've only ever used it at school, and it's a pain to code in, I hate it personally..

Reactions: J9794
English.

And lolcode.

Reactions: 28142
Back