Whats your opinion on using games for homebrew?

• Thread starter 8150
  • Start date

Ultimate Despair
Towns Folk
Cubic Ninja has become an infamous game now on 3ds, not for its gameplay, but because it can be used to get Homebrew on the 3ds. Now, people are exploiting Ironfall: Invasion for the same purposes. So with that said, what do you guys think about this? I personally feel bad for the devs, as they've worked hard to make a game that people only care about because of how it can be used for Homebrew, rather then any merits the game itself has. I'm curious to know what you guys make of the situation.

I personally have mixed feeling about this. I know the devs poured a lot of hard work into the game, and they deserve respect for that. However, I don't find it unethical; simply because if you support the devs, you would have bought the game. And it's your choice if you want to use your game as an exploit's entrypoint.

As for IronFall: Invasion, I personally like the game, and the devs deserve a large amount of respect. Why? A group of 3 people reprogrammed the ENTIRE 3DS GPU driver so they could push it to the limits, and get the best performance + graphics possible.

However, I will still be suing it for the exploit. The exploit will not render the game unplayable, which means there is nothing to lose.

Reactions: J9794 and Artisan
I guess my opinions about this situation is both good and bad >.> To me exploiting Ironfall: Invasion for homebrew accessibility just doesn't seem right and while pushing the 3ds to certain limits is good in a way as Ali said, though you can't really confirm just as yet. So both sides has their good points and bad points as far as I know.

As everybody said, sure it is bad, since the devs get their game pulled off (IronFall is now off the eShop). But, no worries, it'll surely be pulled back on it after a "forced" game update (pre-patched version?) or a system update.

But on another hand, it is quite good. Indeed, does any of you know how expensive is the CTR SDK (3DS SDK)?
Homebrew allows people to program on their consoles without having to spend a life worth of money. And, while I'm at it: Colors! 3D (an eShop game), started as a Nintendo DS homebrew. See ? It's not all that bad.

So, I wouldn't call homebrew exploit bad or good. It all depends on what you're going to do with it.
(Also, neither Ninjhax or Ironhax allows piracy, so, I still kinda feel like Nintendo's reaction is exaggerated, since both of these exploits run in User Mode, and not in System Mode)

Reactions: Artisan
Well, by buying the game, you are supporting the developers, but you don't actually have to play it, you can run homebrew, smash it with a hammer or set it on fire, it's your choice. And I'm sure the cubic ninja Devs are happy because their dead to the ground video game is now bursting with sales! And TBH Devs develop games to make money anyway

It seems like something that you'd just be buying a game for an exploit. I mean, these devs would think that they have fans buying their games by the ton because it was good (of course there are some who will). Plus, Cubic Ninja went as high as like, $80 for a copy? Now those who have it could turn a profit for it on eBay for those who want to use this feature, as high as over $140 (surprised this has not happened with Smash 3DS and OoT).

I doubt people using exploits in those games actually harms the developers. Their games get a lot of extra attention and downloads and as a side-effect probably also a lot more players than if they weren't exploitable. So while people might now download the games for the 'wrong reason', in the end the developers probably benefit from that. Nintendo might not like it though.

I think it's good and bad. Good because of homebrew access, and the ability of getting stuff we should have had in the first place (big example is region free). We don't have to pay $3,000-$4,000 for an SDK just to make a game. As far as I know, homebrew is protected by fair use, and therefore is legal. Devs who made the game also get tons of attention leading people to considering buying the full game. The only bad thing is devs can get their games pulled off, but it's not forever so...

It's not really nice... Dev get their game pulled, sometimes they don't have the money or employees anymore to work on a patch, they have to manage somehow.

Other devs need to work harder to make sure their game can't be used the same way.

If Nintendo could do a 100% approved software instead of people using games to do it, it would be better for everyone probably.

Reactions: BonnetteForever
I sold my Cubic Ninja game and it was the worst mistake of my life...

I think homebrew is cool and all, though the bad thing is Nintendo is putting a stop to homebrew constantly patching 3DS firmware to get rid of this exploit once and for all making cubic ninja and other homebrew methods worthless.

Back