Gen 6 Whazz the point of this? In need uh details plz ;)

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
Ok so for a long time now i have noticed dat people be doing somethin i hear be called "perfect breeding" for high IVs/EVs (sorry im totally clueless here ya guys, so feel free ta correct me kekeke XD). But i never understood why? I mean, whats the difference between for example like, any old riolu vs a perfect riolu? I did research on this stuff but i still dont get it kekekeke XD sooo uhh could somebody explain the benefits uh this to somebody who is completely kafused like me? Kekekeke thanks XD

How much are you willing to read?
If a lot, go here

If not, I'll summarize
Basically when we breed for perfect pokemon, we want them to have stats specialized in what role we want them to play for the team. For example, the riolu. With Riolu you would want him to have higher Attack or Special Attack (depending on which variant of Licario you would want to use) and less of something he doesn't really need.
IVs are simple a potential stat value which pokemon are born with. These values range from 0-31 with 31 being perfect. You would want a Pokemon to have 31 IV in the stats which help it fulfill the role you want it to play on your team. EVs are points which your Pokemon gains through training, by defeating certain pokemon you yield certain EV values. This can also be done with Super training but thats really slow. A pokemon has max 512 EVs to distribute among each of the 6 stats, with each having a max 252 EV yield. That's the gist of it but I think the link explains it much better

How much are you willing to read?
If a lot, go here

If not, I'll summarize
Basically when we breed for perfect pokemon, we want them to have stats specialized in what role we want them to play for the team. For example, the riolu. With Riolu you would want him to have higher Attack or Special Attack (depending on which variant of Licario you would want to use) and less of something he doesn't really need.
IVs are simple a potential stat value which pokemon are born with. These values range from 0-31 with 31 being perfect. You would want a Pokemon to have 31 IV in the stats which help it fulfill the role you want it to play on your team. EVs are points which your Pokemon gains through training, by defeating certain pokemon you yield certain EV values. This can also be done with Super training but thats really slow. A pokemon has max 512 EVs to distribute among each of the 6 stats, with each having a max 252 EV yield. That's the gist of it but I think the link explains it much better

Ahhh that explains it more kek XD thanks. At least now i know why so many people be doing this so much. Sooo im guessing this be impossible with legendaries, right? It would make sense.

It is technically possible to get a perfect IVs legendary through soft reset, although you'll probably never get it short of a miracle. The odds of doing so are 1/32,768.

It is technically possible to get a perfect IVs legendary through soft reset, although you'll probably never get it short of a miracle. The odds of doing so are 1/32,768.

Omg dude thats crazy! Sounds like its next to impossible man.... Id rather just catch the legendary as is instead uh wastin all day and all night just to get one perfect legendary. Sounds like its way too much trouble an not worth it kek XD no way im doing that. Id rather just breed for perfects. I mean, really though, like for real.... there are a lot of pokemon out there that can have potential equal to a legendarys or surpass them. Some things just arent worth it in my book....im for real though XD

True, but that's why we reset for IVs that help with what you want that Pokemon to do. For example, if you want a to run a Scarfed Terrakion, you would mostly want to reset for one that has perfect IVs in Attack and Speed (In Gen 6 Legendaries are guaranteed at least 3 Perfect IVs). It's also best to collect masterballs (either through Transfer or hack) so that you actually dont waste time trying to catch a 'Mon not worth it.

True, but that's why we reset for IVs that help with what you want that Pokemon to do. For example, if you want a to run a Scarfed Terrakion, you would mostly want to reset for one that has perfect IVs in Attack and Speed (In Gen 6 Legendaries are guaranteed at least 3 Perfect IVs). It's also best to collect masterballs (either through Transfer or hack) so that you actually dont waste time trying to catch a 'Mon not worth it.

omg man but that's waaay too expensive for me. I don't have the money to buy a second copy of the game, plus a new system, just to farm master balls.... and I cant use no hacks cuz my firmware waaay too recent plus minez is a new 3ds xl so yeah cant do that either kek XD and ive got too many other personal needs to fulfill to get any real chance of saving up heheheh. heh, id be lucky if I ever had enough left over to get a wii or wii u game XD imo its just too pricey and not worth it, just for one perfect legend, spend all uh dat money? sorry, not doing it, never will kek XD

You could always just catch them with anything else. You dont actually need to use a Master Ball. They all work, the only difference is the time it takes.

You could always just catch them with anything else. You dont actually need to use a Master Ball. They all work, the only difference is the time it takes.

yeah but dats the thing man: in nearly every possible scenario, it takes forever to catch just 1 legend w/o a master ball. take my advice dude: don't do that if you're trying ta get perfect legends. you'll lose ya good nights sleep. if ya don't believe me then go ahead an learn the hard way. you'll wish you listened to me, kek XD im not even joking dude. let me tell ya what happen to me before....

when I was just 14, uh spent the whole day tryin ta catch only 1 azelf on gen4 games. then I spent the whole frikkin night tryin na catch 1 uxie, same game. take it from me: do not do this without a master ball in the case of trying to get perfect legends. don't waste your time there, trust me.... bad idea. I learned the hard way.

yeah but dats the thing man: in nearly every possible scenario, it takes forever to catch just 1 legend w/o a master ball. take my advice dude: don't do that if you're trying ta get perfect legends. you'll lose ya good nights sleep. if ya don't believe me then go ahead an learn the hard way. you'll wish you listened to me, kek XD im not even joking dude. let me tell ya what happen to me before....

when I was just 14, uh spent the whole day tryin ta catch only 1 azelf on gen4 games. then I spent the whole frikkin night tryin na catch 1 uxie, same game. take it from me: do not do this without a master ball in the case of trying to get perfect legends. don't waste your time there, trust me.... bad idea. I learned the hard way.
I catch all my Pokemon in Luxury Balls; it's very rare when I decide to use anything else. Sorry bud, but you're a minimum of 16 years too late to be telling me that.

Tbh, my npc is often broke because I buy so many of them.

I catch all my Pokemon in Luxury Balls; it's very rare when I decide to use anything else. Sorry bud, but you're a minimum of 16 years too late to be telling me that.

Tbh, my npc is often broke because I buy so many of them.

bud? im a girl, not a boy. but anyways im like dead serious that has happened to me a lot. I guess its different for everyone, seems to me you had better luck than I did. btw im 21, not sure of your age but im no genius so correct me if the number you gave is wrong cuz I feel like it is.

I know you're a girl, Jenova, buddy's a gender neutral comment, and "a minimum of 16 years" wasn't a reference to your age, but rather to the age of the game. I brought it up because in Yellow, I used to catch everything in Pokeballs (because they were cheap) and did that until I began playing ORAS. By comparison, Luxury Balls are an easy choice... They don't miss... It's soooo much harder when they miss...

I know you're a girl, Jenova, buddy's a gender neutral comment, and "a minimum of 16 years" wasn't a reference to your age, but rather to the age of the game. I brought it up because in Yellow, I used to catch everything in Pokeballs (because they were cheap) and did that until I began playing ORAS. By comparison, Luxury Balls are an easy choice... They don't miss... It's soooo much harder when they miss...

ohhh oops. sorry kek^^ im not very smart, I tend to take things like this the wrong way/misunderstand completely... please excuse me for that. but are you saying that the average catch rate in the series has gone up or something over time? it seems like it has to me, but I could just be imagining that, I don't know. feel free to correct me if im wrong here.

Ehh, we all mess up every now and then and that one may not have been obvious, so sorry if I confused you. Idk if the catch rates have been rising through the gens, I've never looked into that, but I know for a fact that the reliability of the balls we use to catch them have consistently been better every time we got a new generation. No more missing, specialized balls, crit captures and other things that we have in-game make it much easier to catch things now, than it was in RBY. Catching things now is easy compared to then, but the point I'm making is that no one should have any problem catching things in whatever they want. A Master Ball quickens the work, but is not a necessity, don't let not having them scare you away.

Ehh, we all mess up every now and then and that one may not have been obvious, so sorry if I confused you. Idk if the catch rates have been rising through the gens, I've never looked into that, but I know for a fact that the reliability of the balls we use to catch them have consistently been better every time we got a new generation. No more missing, specialized balls, crit captures and other things that we have in-game make it much easier to catch things now, than it was in RBY. Catching things now is easy compared to then, but the point I'm making is that no one should have any problem catching things in whatever they want. A Master Ball quickens the work, but is not a necessity, don't let not having them scare you away.

hmm, I see. maybe that's what im referring to here?? idk, sorry; like I said, im not very smart. but I certainly cant deny that catching pokemon has gotten easier over the years, though I am not certain exactly what the reason is here. but yes, catching in earlier games like ruby was a mess, especially when you got stuck trying to catch legends without a master ball. omg I remember how much time I got stuck doing that in emerald, spending all day trying to catch 1 groudon...ugh. >_< but in more recent gens its not as big of a problem from what I can see. either that or I just lucked out, idk.

It's not luck, it's gotten a lot easier.

yeah that sounds right. i thought catching in gen5 was easy compared to everything before that, even. i feel like Nintendo is trying to improve the quality of the games here, this is my opinion but others might disagree or say different. just stating my thoughts, that's all.

True but the question asked was if it's impossible with legendaries to which the response was it's not, albeit you have to use a different method.

At any rate while your words ring true I'm the sort of person who would rather go for 6 IV in spite of logical reasoning. At the very least you have more options that way. (Yes I know you could just have two of the same Pokemon using different strategies to remedy this. Read the above statement.)

Also, Luxury Balls have the same capture rate as regular Poke Balls so they're nothing more than a Poke Ball paint-job. (Friendship alterations excluded.)

Last edited:
Back