when should movie sequels stop?

• Thread starter Lamont
  • Start date
Lamont

Lamont

"Haunted Pumpkin"
Towns Folk
Has there ever been a movie series that caused you to question why they continue to make sequels for that film? When do you think movies sequels should end?
------
I asked this question for the Saw series and the Final Destination series, both series have over 4 films.

I think there should only be 2 sequels for a movie; unless it's something like Lord of the Ring {which was epic}.

Home alone. The first and 2nd were OK, but they messed it up on the 3rd. Just the two would've been fine. I think they overdid it. xD

Reactions: Lexi.D
Has there ever been a movie series that caused you to question why they continue to make sequels for that film? When do you think movies sequels should end?
------
I asked this question for the Saw series and the Final Destination series, both series have over 4 films.

I think there should only be 2 sequels for a movie; unless it's something like Lord of the Ring {which was epic}.

Plenty.
I think that unless it's based on a book series and the story is complete in itself, they should stop. The sequels usually suck anyway. The original Predator film is the only one in the franchise that's really good. They couldn't even get the old cast together in the sequels. (This translates as: Why ain't Arnie in the second film? :p )

Horror movies usually have a lot of sequels because they suck anyway, they're just for satisfying one's sick side and of course the film people stand to make more money if they slapped on the same name with a fancy, '2!' or '7!' on it because people will say, "The original had a lot of people getting killed in gruesome ways. I'mma watch this."

I liked the original Saw film because of the amazing twist ending but I never bothered to watch any of the sequels. I saw parts of two of the Final Destination movies on TV and I have to say, I'm amazed there were people sick-minded enough to go watch these films in cinema to keep the series running. :mad:

Reactions: Lexi.D
I think some movies should get sequels but usually they're not as good as the original.

when they start repeating plot line

When they start running out of ideas.

Paranormal Activity 3 and 4 were horrid. Not sure about The Marked Ones (or whatever it was called), but 3/4 were just plain bad.

As soon as there is a crappy third movie.
Did even anyone like Friday the 100.000.000.th?

Cough*JAWS*Cough

Ghostbusters. The first one was great (obviously), the second one was okay..the third one never happened because Bill Murray refused to do it, and now I think one of them (or maybe two of them) is/are dead, so they'll never be able to have a third one with the original cast. So what do they do?

They create one with an all female cast. I can understand why this happens, as Melissa McCarthy has become popular as of late, but..really? This just kind of changes the series for me. You wait..10, 15 years (not an exact number, I'm not sure) for the next Ghostbusters, and you find out it contains none of the original cast at all??

Also, the Fast and Furious titles. Now that Paul Walker is deceased, you would think the movies end here at 7. But nope. Now with The Rock on board and Vin Diesel staying with the series, I imagine more will follow. They're just very repetitive now. They got old 4 movies ago.

I think that if there's passion but behind a series and a group of actors, directors, and screenwriters who invest their time into making the movie as good as it can be, then by all means, sequels are fine.

I think they begin to lose their luster once it becomes all about profit. The passion behind what made the series what it once was begins to fade, and it shows. The films become sloppier, and fans who were hoping for epic finales or up-to-par sequels end up wishing the producers would have scrapped them in their first phase -- before they witnessed their favourite movie being ripped to shreds by its mortifying successor.

Reactions: Mikaya and 18
Ugh I think Shrek should've stopped at one (two?). Because three sucked, four was okay, but I heard there is a fifth movie coming out...too many!

I have another movie but I can't recall the name I'll come back to it....

Star Wars should have stopped a long time ago ppl just have to know when to let go I guess....

More things to add to when to not make sequels
-Other Directors get liscense for sequels and dumb it down(*cough*SAW II *cough*)
-People ask for stuff in the sequels that are against the already finished script of the sequel(Spiderman 3,Blairwitch project II)

Back