Where do you put the Switch when you're finished playing?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Wondering where I'd have to put it (when it's turned off) when I get my Switch.

I'm talking about the gamepad with the screen where you insert the joycons to play on the go. My guess is in the dock but seeing as they sell cases in bundles, I'm wondering if that's a preferred location for it.

screenshot of nintendo switch.jpg

Then again, if you really do have to put it back in the dock when not in use, the dock could get dusty and possibly cause problems down the road (like not being able to read properly to connect to the big screen). Not too sure about that.

What are you guys doing?

When you turn it off, you put it in the dock with the joycons so it and the joycons charge. Just make sure your take care of your dock and don't put it in a dangerous area. That's what I do with my switch, anyways.

When you turn it off, you put it in the dock with the joycons so it and the joycons charge. Just make sure your take care of your dock and don't put it in a dangerous area. That's what I do with my switch, anyways.
But what if I don't want my Switch to continuously charge?

I would leave it somewhere safe then (preferably a case but I don't have one). Although if you just want your joycons to charge then well it has to go in the dock (unless you spend $30 for a charging grip).

Last edited:
i generally let it charge completely, same as the Joy-cons and after that i store the switch in the case, put something in the dock so it won't bend (my case for 3ds games works perfectly) cover it with some cloth so it won't collect dust and store it in the library between two books, though i'm most likely over complicating things.

You don't need to charge it on the dock. When I'm home, I take out the AC adapter from the dock and plug the switch to it (in handheld mode) and it charges my Joycons. I don't put it in the dock to charge it.

I found a solution to the not leaving it continuously charging , I accidentally put it upside down in the dock overnight. Not sure I would intentionally do this, but it could work.
It feels safer in the dock than in a case. I have a hard case it fits in with controllers attached. At least it will be until Super Mario Odyssey is out, then suddenly my boys won't be able to leave it alone, then it will hide on a shelf until I am able to supervise. At the moment they don't take much notice of it, luckily.

Reactions: Marc
I usually stick it in the Splatoon 2 case I have especially for it. I like to keep my consoles safe, clean and easily accessible. The case is quite sturdy, stylish and practical. If the Joy-cons or actual Switch are low on battery, I leave it in sleep mode and dock it.

I put it in my dock (if it's not there already) and attach the joycons to the side of the screen so that they will be charged as well. This usually isn't a problem as I usually just play on my tv so the seperate screen is in there anyway.

I leave in dock mode since i always play until it dies :D

Wow lol. I wish I had that time.

When I'm done playing my switch, I normally just stick it into the dock for later, or I put it by my bed so I can play before school. But normally docked bcuz my switch dies after playing sploon2 for like 5 seconds.

I usually play both ways, I mean handheld and docked. Once I finished playing on handheld mode, I just leave my swith in the dock (in this case, the dock is not connected to the electricity). On the other hand, when I finished playing docked I usually tend to check the switch´s temperatura by touching its backside, then I see, if it is very hot I leave it undocked for a while, otherwise I just leave it in the dock.

Back