Which 3DS AC game is for me?

• Thread starter ESP
  • Start date
ESP

ESP

No Limits
Towns Folk
So a few months ago, I've been contemplating getting New Leaf because a PSN and 3DS friend had it and asked me if I did. Thing is, I haven't seen any gameplay of New Leaf or Happy Home Designer. How different are the two from each other and which one might I enjoy the most?

Well, New Leaf is like the original games. You have to earn money, and you buy furniture with it. You can talk with villagers, fish, and do many things to earn money. Here is a good review I found on New Leaf http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/4/4391996/animal-crossing-new-leaf-review.
Happy Home Designer is when you work for a design company, and the furniture is unlimited (You don't have to pay money.) and you design stuff. You have different character requests and you must follow it. Here is a good review I found for HHD: http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/animal-crossing-happy-home-designer ( Yes That has multiple reviews)
If I were you, I would get New Leaf to start, see if you like it, and if you enjoy it, you'd probably like HHD.

New Leaf is the game that lets you have creative influences in your town as you become the mayor (if your the first person on the game cartridge to make a save file), you start out, poor and without a house, you need to get the game's currency (bells) to pay your way and actually get a home from a tanooki called Tom Nook who owns a company (Nook's Homes). You can go fishing,catch bugs find fossils etc. You can develop your town by planting things, making public work projects and almost anything you can imagine! You can also decorate your home with tons of items that you can find.

HHD is an even more creative game where you work for Tom Nook and help villagers design their own homes with even more furniture than New Leaf. You can also develop your town freely with plants, objects and other wonderful things.

It's your own choice! :)

~Banjostig66~

I think you should get New Leaf. Happy Home Designer is a spin-off game, and after completing the public works projects, the game gets repeatative for people who aren't a huge fan of designing the houses. New Leaf has tons of content, as it uses the real time for it's holidays and events. The multiplayer is also fantastic, as you can visit and interact with people. Overall, I think New Leaf is the game you will sink far more hours into, and it is the one I recommend most in this situation. Happy Home Designer is still a great game, but it definately is not for all audiences.

Like everybody else said, I would go for New Leaf. I got the game two or so years ago and I still play it regularly. It's my favourite 3DS game.

In New Leaf you are the mayor of your own town. As the mayor you are given the ability to "design" your town. With restrictions: Villagers slowly recommend you projects you can build, you can only have so many projects in town, certain projects can only be built once, or like bridges there is a maximum of three I believe, and Isabelle had to OK your placement. You can plant various trees, bushes, flowers (there is also flower breeding to get special colours) and bamboo shoots. With the help of the QR code reader you unlock in the game you can place "paths" along the ground. You can either make these paths yourself or get them online, via QR codes. In Happy Home Designer you haven't got a town, you have houses. I believe there is a set number of houses or buildings you can design a day, but I'm not sure.

When you first start the game you answer a series of questions which determine what your face looks like. You can google specific answers for specific faces. When Shampoodle opens you are able to change your hair style and colour, as well as your eye colour. Alternatively you can just use your Mii head (note that playing with your Mii head disables the use of head accessories I'm pretty sure). I think in the summer time you can get a tan so your skin is darker for a short amount of time, however it's not permanent and the game gives you white skin - this is not a choice. I believe Happy Home Designer gives you much more freedom when it comes to choosing what your character looks like.

In terms of clothes, the game has quite a bit to offer. The game has stores that sell clothes (shirts, skirts, pants, dresses), accessories (hair pins, umbrellas, hats, masks, etc) and shoes. You can also design your own shirt (long sleeved, short sleeved, or sleeveless), dress (long sleeved, short sleeved, or sleeveless), a hat (two options, I forget what they are though, my apologies!), and an umbrella. Or you can get other people's designs via the QR code reader. I believe in Happy Home Designer you only have the one outfit, but I'm not sure.

You also have a house. You can pick how many rooms you want and there are three different sizes the rooms can be. You can decide how the outside of the house looks. The game offers different options - it is not like building a house in The Sims. You are given a default layout every time. The rooms are always square. Just a bigger square when you upgrade them. You can have a max of six rooms I think? You can pick wall paper and flooring for every room and you buy/collect furniture for them. Some items you can interact with, but it's generally just like, "turn on/off the light, turn on/off the radio/tv, hear the typewriter make noise and move" just little interactions. You can't cook or actually run a bath or anything like that. Happy Home Designer likely offers more in home design, as that's what the game is about, and there are more interactions.

New Leaf also has holidays which are celebrated. I think all the holidays have a little game or something to go along with them. These are celebrated in real time, they tend to follow the U.S's holiday calendar (so Thanksgiving is in November) and the holidays are Toy Day (celebrated on Christmas), New Years (celebrated on New Years), Halloween (I think it's given a different name, but it's celebrated on Halloween), Easter, and I feel like I'm missing one. Plus there are different contests that appear.

You can fish and go swimming in the game, as well as collect bugs and fossils. There is an encyclopedia that keeps track of what you've caught in terms of fish and bugs (fish you catch through swimming have their own encyclopedia) and the fossils as well as paintings are donated to the museum.

There are some mini games you can eventually play - I find they are more enjoyable when played with friends.

There is also multiplayer. You can visit other people's towns. This allows people to trade items, invite villagers to move in, or play mini games together. There are also "dream worlds" where you just visit the town. The other person isn't actually playing with you and anything you do while visiting their dream world isn't permanent.

I may be missing some things but that's basically New Leaf. It's a nice open ended game. You can shape your town/house so it suits you.

You also have villagers, of course, a maximum of 10 villagers and where they move in is random - that means that they can crush flower beds. There is a work around but it's a bit tedious.

I've not played Happy Home Designer personally, so the bits I said about the game are just things I've heard or seen in gameplay at one point or another. What I said may not be completely accurate.

So a few months ago, I've been contemplating getting New Leaf because a PSN and 3DS friend had it and asked me if I did. Thing is, I haven't seen any gameplay of New Leaf or Happy Home Designer. How different are the two from each other and which one might I enjoy the most?
Get new leaf. Become a dictator mayor and ruin everyone's dream >:3

Reactions: Mizunil
New leaf is better in my opinion. In Happy Home Designer, all you get to do is decorate other villagers's houses and in New leaf, you can do all sorts of stuff such as catching bugs and fish, digging fossils etc. You are also the Mayor, meaning you can do lots of stuff such as Public Works Projects.

I got New Leaf for a little bit after Christmas and my younger brother got Happy Home Designer. Personally we both like New leaf because you can do a lot more with it and have more challenges than Happy Home Designer. My brother is even asking me to get it for him for his birthday that's coming up because he likes it so much XD Happy Home Designer is cute and all, and if you enjoy using Amiibos it is indeed Amiibo compatible, but New Leaf just has better gameplay in general and is a lot more fun to play in my opinion.

I'm also on the fence so I'll just watch this thread. Animal Crossing New Leaf appears to be 'classic' while Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer appears to be for the creative. But do you actually have a house and collect stuff in Happy Home Designer or is it designing only? (Because that might be boring.)

Reactions: OtakuFallenAngel
same but from what it sounds like i might get it this saturday...

Definitely Animal Crossing: New Leaf if you're new to the franchise. You want a taste of the original before moving in to the spin-off like game. But if you've played multiple with a "meh" attitude go for Happy Home Designer. If you loved the other AC games go for New Leaf.

I know this is old as well, but it's still worth answering.

What @Kiki said about New Leaf is perfect! Splendid, in fact! Make sure to take note of that when buying one of the two games.

Now I'll explain HHD

This game is for people who can pick up a game and play it at any time, if you play it a lot, it gets awfully boring. I think it's kinda sad, too ;-;. I honestly think it's about 10 USD overpriced (The American version of the game is 40 USD I think) even though it has a lot of features. This game is also for people who love to be able to make something of their own, whether creepy or elegant. If you love to be in control of homes and such, you'll love this game.

In this game, as the title says, you design villagers homes to the way they like, since they come to you wanting you to design it. They do this because you're working at the Home designing place (I don't remember the name) and it's your job to design their houses! :D

The types of houses are abundant, and you can place indoor furniture outside. As you play the game more furniture unlocks allowing a "reward system" and giving you more ways to decorate. This game is not for people who get bored very quickly, though. I hope I helped!

Well both games are good in their own right but it just depends on what style of game play you get the most enjoyment out of. If you like more free roaming then new leaf is good, if you like more along the decorating side with little free roaming then Happy homes is good .

Well, New Leaf plays out much more like the other games in the series, while HHD plays much more like a design-based spinoff of the main games. While I personally enjoyed New Leaf much more, as it gives you much more to do than HHD, you may like HHD more. It's mostly up to you.

I would suggest getting Animal Crossing New Leaf. It has way more to do, and you definitely won’t get bored easily. Happy Home Designer is a spin off from the series, and basically has you design houses. That’s literally it. It’s not a traditional AC game, but it’s still fun, nonetheless.

I would get ACNL first, but if you can get HHD later, then do so, as it’s still quite fun.

Back