Which JRPG is better between Xenoblade 2 and YS VIII?

• Thread starter Melissa
  • Start date

Which JRPG is better?

• Xenoblade 2

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • YS VIII

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Melissa

Melissa

Nintendo 3DS Addict
Towns Folk
Hey everyone, just taking a quick poll to see people's thoughts on these 2 AAA JRPG's. If anyone could help me out that would be great.

I have played about 100 hours of Xenoblade 2 and really enjoyed it, but at the same time, I found it VERY slow and almost boring at times; having to push through parts of the game and force myself to keep playing.

I haven't gotten my hands on YS VIII yet but as of tomorrow I will have it and be able to add to this thread.

Please bring up topics such as gameplay styles, graphics, story (no spoilers for either game please) and framerates, as well as docked vs handheld modes if if possible.
Thank-you everyone and have a great day :)

As a Falcom and Ys fan I voted for Ys VIII.
Moreover, while I haven't played Xenoblade 2, I have read/seen enough about the series (1, X and 2) to understand how they can be dispersive and tend to drag on a bit too much.
YS VIII is bigger than the previous entries in the series but rewards and wants you to explore the island it's set in and on a gameplay/musical point it's the usual Falcom work: excellent. Story-wise, while I have yet to finish it, it seems to get more focused on plot, more than your usual Ys fare, and it's intriguing.

I guess I'll give my opinion on Xenoblade 2 even though I haven't played Yss VIII lol. :D

Xenoblade 2 is easily my favorite game on the switch. I have over 250 hours spent in it. It has almost a never ending ammount of things to do that I absolutelly love. The story is great, has interesting, well developed characters. You get attached to them and their stories. There are tons of rare blades, and all of them (with the exception of only 1) have great designs, fun personalities, and interesting quests.

From reviews I've seen of Yss VIII it suffers from bad voice acting and lots of translation errors. I've seen some lines that weren't even translated and are still in complete Japanese, and others that are just weird and awkward and badly translated. Xenoblade on the other hand has excellent voice acting and translation. You can choose between either English or Japanese voices and both are very good.

While i can't comment on the performance of Yss I do know the performance of Xenoblade. I find it's design and artwork and graphics to be beautiful, but the resolution can get kinda fuzzy and gross in handheld mode sometimes.

@TribstyAnn: They fixed the localization issues with patches on PS4 and Vita, they were working on PC which should be stable now and I don't know about the current state of the Switch version but IIRC they released it with the same problems which should have been fixed since the Switch one is the latest release. Even if I'm a great fan of the series I can say that's an absolute bullsh!t move from NISA and the perfect way to dissuade many people from purchasing it.

Reactions: TribstyAnn
Back