Which pokemon should i get as a water dual type pokemon for my party?

• Thread starter Ichimaru
  • Start date
Ichimaru

Ichimaru

Smooth Criminal :'
Towns Folk
I would like to know a good pokemon to get for this.I was thinking about a gyarados but I would like to know what you guys think on getting and the moveset for the pokemon as well as maybe the nature.

here's kinda of a weird suggestion. Emboar can learn a move called scald that is actually a pretty powerful move. Add that to the fact that he learns some pretty strong fire and fighting moves, and you can make a decent case for having a tri-type pokemon. (sure would be awesome if they brought that into the series though...)

Greninja is easily one of the best water types offensively, with the ability Protean and its great movepool, not to mention the new move tutors its received in ORAS, very few Pokemon can switch in on Greninja easily making it one of the biggest threats in the current metagame.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot/Extrasensory
- Dark Pulse/Hidden Power Fire/Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

I personally like dual-type Water/Ground Pokemon because they're immune to Electric, resist Fire, Poison, Steel and Rock and are only weak to Grass, which is a type that's not seen very often in competitive battling (from my experiences, anyways). It depends on what your looking for for your team, though--Greninja, like the above poster said, is a Pokemon that very few Pokemon can switch in on successfully and is very offensive, but, if you're looking for some defensive sets, I'll list a couple of them that I personally like to use:

Swampert @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpDef
Careful Nature
-Curse
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch/Avalanche
-Rest

(I put Avalanche as a suggestion as Ice Punch is a move that's only available through transfer from B2W2 and you may not have access to it. With the release of ORAS, you might be able to move tutor it, though. I, unfortunately, don't have Ice Punch on my Swampert :/)

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpDef
Bold/Relaxed Nature
-Scald
-Earth Power/Earthquake/Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Recover

(Again, I put suggestions for moves and natures. I got these from the Smogon site and, according to them, it's advised to run a Relaxed nature if you use Earthquake, while a Bold nature for Ice Beam or Earth Power. I run one with Ice Beam because I usually have several other Pokemon running Earthquake on them and I like having variety.)

I hope these help you in some way :)

Last edited:
Hmm for gyarados I would recommend an offensive dragon dancer

Gyarados @ gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252Atk, 252Spe, 4HP
Adamant
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance
-Ice Fang

Or you could try azumarill.

Azumarill @Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252Atk, 240HP, 16SpD
Adamant
-Aqua Jet
-Play Rough
-Waterfall
-Knock off

I need to know what your team is, so i can find the right dual-typed Water Pokemon for you.
  • We have Crawdaunt, which can be used as a wallbreaker:
Crawdaunt @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
Nature: Adamant
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Swords Dance
  • There is the popular Greninja, that can be used as a special sweeper (I don't know if you have OR/AS yet, so the moveset below is a XY moveset. If you do have OR/AS, I preferably would use Gunk Shot over the Hidden Powers):
Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Sp. Attack / 4 Sp. Defense / 252 Speed
Nature: Timid
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power Fire or Grass / Gunk Shot

Although... There are other dual-typed Water Pokemon out there that are great at competitive.

I would like to know a good pokemon to get for this.I was thinking about a gyarados but I would like to know what you guys think on getting and the moveset for the pokemon as well as maybe the nature.
Gyarados is definitely the best option non hand, unless you wan to go for greninja, which is equally as good, but extremely frail. Personally, even if you don't use him in battle, it still puts a ton of pressure on the opponent when they pick their team. and he has Intimidate before going mega, so that's a plus.

Back