Cloyster
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Explosion/Rock Blast
- Ice Shard

Which should I use? I ask this because Cloyster could possiobly suvive a hit with its defense with a physical attack. Usually it is a special sweeper in UU/OU but I don't know. Help!

It's usually a physical sweeper, :p

If you can set up Shell Smash, Cloyster can be a beast. Icicle Crash breaks sashes and Ice shard is amazing because of priority + speed. The only thing is, Cloyster is really frail after a shell smash so you have to watch out for priority moves. :d

It's usually a physical sweeper, :p

If you can set up Shell Smash, Cloyster can be a beast. Icicle Crash breaks sashes and Ice shard is amazing because of priority + speed. The only thing is, Cloyster is really frail after a shell smash so you have to watch out for priority moves. :d
True. Sucker Punch always gets me on Pokemon Showdown. :( Ice Shard could compete with that but you never know when they will Sucker Punch you. I try stalling and wasting their PP on Sucker Punch but it doesn't work for some reason. I wish it could Baton Pass but there are other Shell Smash+Baton Pass Pokemons.

If you're not using any Special-based moves, then you don't need the extra 4EVs in Special Attack, right?

Since Cloyster should mainly be used as a cleaner in the mid-late game, after all its checks have been taken out, a White Herb may be the better choice, since it doesn't leave Cloyster's Special Defence too frail, although Focus Sash makes it certain that you can take a hit before sweeping (make sure to always have a Spinner/Defog user to clear the entry hazards when using Focus Sash on it). I'd use a White Herb so that loss of defence isn't a problem, but Cloyster's terribly low SpDef is always troublesome.

I remember using a Cloyster once on Smogon, but I can't remember what item I gave it. Cloyster shouldn't be used until it has a clear chance to sweep without any hindrances.

Once you remove hazards if present and take out mach punch and sucker punch users Cloyster will win xP
He can be a good cleanup or early sweeper if you need, although i don't recommend it.

I say sash, it's helped me many more times than white herb has. If you don't have a way to remove hazards then white herb is better though, since your sash could be broken is Rocks Or spikes are present

I think Sash is better, because Cloyster's defenses are horrible to begin with, and it's going to get KO'd in one shot so it doesn't matter if its defenses are lowered. With Sash it can hit one extra time which can really help.

Sash tends to be the better option as you're guaranteed a live. Priority moves are quite common and scarf users can still outspeed cloyster. White herb is to be only used on pokes with sturdy and shell smash (eg. Crustle, Carracosta) imo. Cloyster is already frail from special attacks so when I use a cloyster, I have always ran sash over white herb.

I think Sash is better, because Cloyster's defenses are horrible to begin with, and it's going to get KO'd in one shot so it doesn't matter if its defenses are lowered. With Sash it can hit one extra time which can really help.
??? Defense is REALLY high, 180 in base stats!!! You need to get this through your head :p Its just its special defense and typing makes it not a good defensive wall. Thats why I thought it could survive a physical hit. I agree with the rest of ya'll though :D

Reactions: 3391
I think that it might depend on the situation that you are faced in . Mostly I would say that the white Herb is more a useful item for your cloyster because as you mentioned the defences are quite great . However , since the Special Defence is more lesser , the Sash would be more effective in this case , so anyways though , I say the White Herb :)

??? Defense is REALLY high, 180 in base stats!!! You need to get this through your head :p Its just its special defense and typing makes it not a good defensive wall. Thats why I thought it could survive a physical hit. I agree with the rest of ya'll though :D
OMG, I did not see that! I still think sash is better because its HP and Sp Def are bad, and it gets to survive an extra turn. I just never knew that its defense was that high...

Back