Why are digital games the same price as physical

• Thread starter Rsngamer
  • Start date
Rsngamer

Rsngamer

I have no idea
Towns Folk
Ever since they released digital copies of games on the eshop (3DS and Wii U), I've been thinking: Why are they the same price as physical copies? They don't need the box or the disc, which cost money, so why? TBH download only games like PW:DD are a bit cheaper, but they aren't that much cheaper than your average 3DS game. The only explanation I could think of is that it's expensive to keep the servers up, but even that much is a bit of a stretch. Do any of you have any ideas?

I really don't think it matters to have digital games cost less than physical games just because it's doesn't come in a box or case. Think about it: a game that came out on the eShop also came out in retailer stores and both cost $40.00. If money is being spent on making cases for them, isn't that money game companies aren't making? If it cost 40 bucks digitally, then why isn't it at least 45 or so physically? The prices are fair.

Reactions: Mikaya
I think the reason for the same price because no matter if it came in case or wirelessly it will still be the same price because no matter what it doesn't make a different to the physical game itself so why the complaints. The only thing I'm thankful about that it doesn't cost more the buy stuff digitally than physically at a best buy or gamestop because that will be really inconvenient.

The actual cost of mass producing cases and booklets is LESS then 5 cents for each copy, making it negligible, thus it's not included in the price. Same thing goes for the servers, they don't cost anything but the cost to keep them up and running, which is practically just the storage and internet! If companies made you pay for any of that, even after making all the money they do, it would be bad for the marketing part to include those in the prices! Especially for the online eshops, where the server costs come from ALL the games, it would make no sense whatsoever to charge extra for everything!

Reactions: Alphasilverx, Mikaya and ESP
Ever since they released digital copies of games on the eshop (3DS and Wii U), I've been thinking: Why are they the same price as physical copies? They don't need the box or the disc, which cost money, so why? TBH download only games like PW:DD are a bit cheaper, but they aren't that much cheaper than your average 3DS game. The only explanation I could think of is that it's expensive to keep the servers up, but even that much is a bit of a stretch. Do any of you have any ideas?
According to Satoru Iwata, he felt that if they lowered the prices that it could hurt the value people put into big franchises like Mario and Pokémon. In my honest opinion, that was a dumb thing to say, given that it wouldn't hurt the value of the game, it would actually increase it because it would make it stronger and rake in more sales compared to what they would actually think.

The prices are the same because if you lower the price then they can't get as much as money as regular prices. Also it would be confusing that the in store product is say 20.99 and then the online product was 9.99, it would to confusing, and to hard to sort it out and it would be mess.

Reactions: J9794
The prices are the same because if you lower the price then they can't get as much as money as regular prices. Also it would be confusing that the in store product is say 20.99 and then the online product was 9.99, it would to confusing, and to hard to sort it out and it would be mess.
I-I just explained it

I went to target and saw shovel knight and it was 25.00$ but when I saw on the eshop it was 15.00$ so some games prices do change (still got it for free though buy 2 get 1 free)

Well digital game cost same as the physical because if nintedo less the price of digital copy of game they might going to have loss ,which i think is not good for any company .

Anways, in opinion digital copies of game should cost less then the physical ones as they are higher chance loosing game if we reset our nintedo by mistake.

Back