Why do collectors keep amiibos in their box?

• Thread starter Allanbuzzy
  • Start date
Allanbuzzy

Allanbuzzy

Nintendo 3DS Addict
Towns Folk
There the reason we are losing amiibos very fast! All that collectors do is keep them for themselves, or sell their amiibos for a quick buck on Amazon or Ebay... I'm glad Nintendo make more amiibos, but if its an amiibo like Ridley, everyone will go nuts for Nintendo!

Seriously, all that amiibos do is give you more features on your favourite Nintendo games. What's the point?

- Allan

Don't ask me, I'm not a collector. Then again, I'm posting here so I ought to try to answer the question. I guess people like fancy mini statues of their game heroes, and the interactiveness is probably just a bonus.

All amiibo hoarders do is just buy all the amiibo that come out and just put it on a shelf not even opening it because all they do is show off or just sell it for $50 which a really bad steal like seriously a dude bought a villiger amiibo for $50 dollars and got it destroyed in a amiibo cockfight. I feel pretty bad for him.

Once 10 to 20 years pass by, imagine how much amiibo will be worth (especially the limited edition ones; those are already selling for big bucks). Granted, not all collectors buy amiibo to eventually sell them again, but some do. The better the condition of the amiibo, the more money a collector will make, hence why they keep the amiibo in the package they come in. I don't mind that people do this since it is theirs to own and use (or not use) however they please.

There the reason we are losing amiibos very fast! All that collectors do is keep them for themselves, or sell their amiibos for a quick buck on Amazon or Ebay... I'm glad Nintendo make more amiibos, but if its an amiibo like Ridley, everyone will go nuts for Nintendo!

Seriously, all that amiibos do is give you more features on your favourite Nintendo games. What's the point?

- Allan
Technically, even if you're using it to play with, you're still just keeping it for yourself, denying someone else the chance to play with that amiibo if they wanted it. That said, some don't even have the games but like collecting the figures. Some just want items from their favorite games, and this is the best way to do it if it's a somewhat obscure game that doesn't get merchandise often, like Earthbound

Now it will be something if these people are buying amiibos for the purpose of selling them mint-in-box for more then they're worth. A little bit of what Toxic said, you're denying someone from buying an amiibo they like and then you make them pay almost triple of the original cost, which I find pathetic, especially if it's a common one you can get nowadays. If you're buying them ALL and trying to make hundreds or thousands off them to people who did want one, then that's even sadder. I have a Samus amiibo, which is considered a Unicorn. But I wouldn't blow my savings to collect the available ones and turn a profit.

Reactions: J9794
Why do collectors keep amibo in box?!!

That is i really a weird question! .-.

anyways i have saw most of people to keep their ammibo on shelf or table . I have seen anybody to keep there precious ammibo in a box.

Hey ;-; my chibi robo in its boc since the game came out is sad for this post xD no idk it looks cool i'm just unboxing them when i get some clear cases for display which may be never so my amiibos may stay on their boxes forever :p i have like 4 of them opened because they were my first ones but every1 else in on box but no prob because on my country almost no one likes nintendo and i am the only one who buy amiibos here :D

Reselling the amiibos seem like a more reasonable answer to such a question of why collectors keep it in the box. As time goes on, they will eventually cost a fortune, and a really big one.

Collectors may sometimes just keep them for show off or something like that >.<
It may never be known whether they used the amiibo or not :p

I feel like your title and your post aren't quite related, but anyway.

Why do collector keep them in box? Because they collect them, their purpose isn't to play with them, they want to display them, and some prefer to do so with their packaging, specially when the packaging is pretty and clear, allowing you to see it anyway. Just because it is meant for something else doesn't mean they have to do it this way. They harm no one by doing this.

As for you message, well, scalpers, I don't like them either...

It's most likely their waiting for the day when the amiibo are no longer being made to sell them for outrageous prices. Like how most people still have Nintendo 64s in boxes and selling them for like $400.

I tried keeping untouched once...I opened it five seconds later.

I think they're less likely too sell the 'rare' amiibos, because the clue is in the name. They collect them for displaying in their glass cabinets to show them off to their friends and family in an attempt to make them jealous. I guess having their favorite Nintendo characters in figurine form makes them more 'closer' to them and proves how much of fan they really are of these characters. xD

It seems as if collectors keep everything in its box, s it preserves the value of the item, even increasing it sometimes, as time goes on. Even though I unbox my Amiibo, they still tend to work just fine for me even when they are in the box (except for games where the Amiibo need to be tapped to the touchpoint frequently, such as Smash 4).

It's a collectors thing. It makes everything look newer, tidier, and keeping them OoB (out of box) lessens their value by a lot. Collectors items are a lot more sought after if they're in mint condition.

It's not limited to amiibo, a lot of collectors do this, for various types of items. Often some extraordinarily rare figures will even get special boxes and such - which boost up the value by quite a bit, too.

Sometimes the figure in question is relatively common and it's only the box itself that adds value, which is all the more reason to keep them boxed, though I think this case is a little scummy, little more than a marketing tactic.

Still, it works, and for matters like this, it's always best to be kept in box to keep them in as mint condition as possible.

Back