Why do some small forums hate Discord?

• Thread starter Jisenku
  • Start date
J

Jisenku

I have an obsession with Tesla >.<
Towns Folk
I'm asking this as a 100% serious thing. I've noticed that some smaller forums really dislike Discord, while others are really open to the idea of it. I am just asking, why do certain smaller forums hate Discord (especially this one?) I would think that Discord would open up a new form of communication with the community, but it seems as though some think that it might drag down smaller communities. I'm just a bit curious about the subject matter and am hoping to receive some answers.

I'm asking this as a 100% serious thing. I've noticed that some smaller forums really dislike Discord, while others are really open to the idea of it. I am just asking, why do certain smaller forums hate Discord (especially this one?) I would think that Discord would open up a new form of communication with the community, but it seems as though some think that it might drag down smaller communities. I'm just a bit curious about the subject matter and am hoping to receive some answers.
It's harder to get more people to join. And the activity will shift from the forum to the discord server making this forum basically dead. And when people get banned, they can easily make a new account and join and it's harder to figure out. And after a while some people might just leave the server and go to other similar servers.

Reactions: Agentperson, RedWhaley14 and Jisenku
It's harder to get more people to join. And the activity will shift from the forum to the discord server making this forum basically dead. And when people get banned, they can easily make a new account and join and it's harder to figure out. And after a while some people might just leave the server and go to other similar servers.
Here's my analysis on that:

How would it be harder to get more people to join if now people could just share a Discord link, then find the forum and go there. Also, your second point happens a lot more without the Discord because most people have to go to a specific site, instead, they can just go to Discord and see that one of their servers has an update, then probably go to that forum again (increasing retention rates possibly). Also, yes... people getting banned and mods not being able to know who they might be can be solved by adding the 10-minute limit to the server, it may be a little weird, but it gives time for them to really look at the rules, get used to the layout, and then be able to easily talk normally. Also, for your final point, yes... some people may just leave the server and go to other ones, but that's also true for this forum just as much, if not more.

Here's how I would setup the Discord:

First, make them wait a bit before they can start posting, then:

Use a leveling system like MEE6's bot, allowing lower leveled people less access to the Discord server, till eventually, they level up enough for access to all of the Discord server (except for Admin rooms of course), making it so that spam accounts will be less common. This will also add some sort of incentive to keep on posting and may help ween out the users who won't post as much. Furthermore, we can host giveaways that are either Discord exclusive or Forum exclusive, shining a light on both platforms to get more users on both.

What do you think about that?

I've never really liked public discord servers, because there's always someone being a jerk in them. They're also pretty much always dead.

Here's my analysis on that:

How would it be harder to get more people to join if now people could just share a Discord link, then find the forum and go there. Also, your second point happens a lot more without the Discord because most people have to go to a specific site, instead, they can just go to Discord and see that one of their servers has an update, then probably go to that forum again (increasing retention rates possibly). Also, yes... people getting banned and mods not being able to know who they might be can be solved by adding the 10-minute limit to the server, it may be a little weird, but it gives time for them to really look at the rules, get used to the layout, and then be able to easily talk normally. Also, for your final point, yes... some people may just leave the server and go to other ones, but that's also true for this forum just as much, if not more.

Here's how I would setup the Discord:

First, make them wait a bit before they can start posting, then:

Use a leveling system like MEE6's bot, allowing lower leveled people less access to the Discord server, till eventually, they level up enough for access to all of the Discord server (except for Admin rooms of course), making it so that spam accounts will be less common. This will also add some sort of incentive to keep on posting and may help ween out the users who won't post as much. Furthermore, we can host giveaways that are either Discord exclusive or Forum exclusive, shining a light on both platforms to get more users on both.

What do you think about that?
Even if there were incentives to be on the forum, people would prefer discord because it's easier. And like shyguy stated, there are HUGE possibilities of toxic people and trolls joining and ruining everything. Plus, whats the use of discord other than vc? Chatting people can be done in the shoutbox and there are threads for talking about nintendo related stuff.

I would guess that one reason is: discord isn't organized super well. Sure, there are different channels, but instead of having pages to click through, the only way to see previous messages is to scroll, no matter how far back that may be.

Reactions: Jisenku
Even if there were incentives to be on the forum, people would prefer discord because it's easier. And like shyguy stated, there are HUGE possibilities of toxic people and trolls joining and ruining everything. Plus, whats the use of discord other than vc? Chatting people can be done in the shoutbox and there are threads for talking about nintendo related stuff.
CONVENIENCE

Do you realize how many people already have Discord on their phones? Having a Discord server just makes it more convenient to get online and chat with your friends, because you don't have to go to a website, it's just always there.

because you don't have to go to a website, it's just always there.
You just answered your own question.

You just answered your own question.
So you're saying that because people can't go to a website, it decreases retention?

So you're saying that because people can't go to a website, it decreases retention?
I'm pointing out how you yourself eliminated going to a website from the equation in your quote.

I'm pointing out how you yourself eliminated going to a website from the equation in your quote.
I also didn't eliminate the possibility of going to a website

We can host giveaways that are either Discord exclusive or Forum exclusive, shining a light on both platforms to get more users on both.
See what I mean?

See what I mean?
Is that your answer to increase forum activity? A giveaway? What happens after the giveaway?

There are literally people with accounts here who refuse to post a simple message to participate in this site's giveaways. There are so many people who I've told about my giveaways but they never bothered signing up; they come up with a polite excuse so you'd leave them alone (eg. "sure, link me", "I'll do it tomorrow", and the list goes on). There are many people who have told me forums aren't their thing, or isn't anymore.

If your answer is a giveaway to maintain forum activity, I feel sorry for that forum.

Is that your answer to increase forum activity? A giveaway? What happens after the giveaway?

There are literally people with accounts here who refuse to post a simple message to participate in this site's giveaways. There are so many people who I've told about my giveaways but they never bothered signing up; they come up with a polite excuse so you'd leave them alone (eg. "sure, link me", "I'll do it tomorrow", and the list goes on). There are many people who have told me forums aren't there thing, or isn't anymore.

If your answer is a giveaway to maintain forum activity, I feel sorry for that forum.
:facepalm: to me

What I was trying to say wasn't giveaways alone. I meant to say stuff like just EVENTS, like interesting things that are going on in the forum, like simple things that keep people going to the forum, like the Fun & Games section. I didn't mean to say just giveaways alone... I just meant fun and interesting events that are going on

I didn't mention this in the other post, but I did mean to.

I didn't mention this in the other post, but I did mean to.
Events alone will make the forum's worth limited. Plus, eventually you'll realize it doesn't even have to be on the forum.
like the Fun & Games section
That may inevitably have its own channel. Then in time the forum would likely close down. I've seen many small forums close their doors already over the years. Some are from people I personally know.

Reactions: Jisenku
I’ve always found Forums to be a lot more fun and lighthearted in tone than Discord servers are. Because of the fact you always have a specific topic to discuss instead of just jumping from topic to topic, it means you can have more varied discussions. Discord servers tend to have repetitive discussions and topics that get old after a while. I’ve just always felt that forums were a lot more fun overall and that Discord (while fun in personal servers) just doesn’t match their atmosphere.

For example, boards like Forum Games wouldn’t really translate well at all to Discord, meaning there’s a lot less of the nonsensical fun you can have with other members to be derived from the server. There’s also no predetermined topics for you to discuss meaning people will always just talk about what comes to their mind, which usually always tends to be the same thought. And of course, Discord servers are a lot less secure.

All in all, I find myself having more fun and memorable discussions on a forum. And that’s not even mentioning that fact that Discord has unfortunately killed a lot of forums in terms of activity. One of my favorite forums that I used to be active in is now an abandoned graveyard when it comes to activity, because Discord has really killed the poor forum off. I’d hate to see this forum have a similar fate.

It kills forums

Then in time the forum would likely close down. I've seen many small forums close their doors already over the years. Some are from people I personally know.
This is why Discord can be bad

Back