Why does Nintendo refuse to do potential bundles of systems when it comes to a launch of a console?

• Thread starter Eric Cartman
  • Start date
Eric Cartman

Eric Cartman

BEWARE OF ADS
Towns Folk
I know Nintendo has done a launch bundle when the wii back in 2008, but now when it comes to launches Nintendo refuses to do a bundle. When the switch had it prensentation back in January people where confused as why 1-2-switch wasn't bundled with the console itself. Though what confused me more was why a game that not even fully a video game costs over $50.
But anyway the trailer for the new Nintendo 2ds xl has come out and they still continue to market the 3ds with 6 and 5 year old games that I've bet everybody has played enough of. I know they also featured 3 of the newest games that are coming out: Fire emblem echoes, Hey pikmin, and miitopia. But the least they could do is at least have one bundle with one of those games intact. Even though the system causes 50 dollars already, a 2ds like console with the new 3ds features AND a game that comes with it would be a killer deal.

most systems dont have bundles at launch mostly because the system doesnt have enough games to validity doing so.

Reactions: Mikaya
It's most likely to capitalize on profits from early sales, after all, a console bundled with a game is typically cheaper than buying both products separately. Bundles will eventually appear once the Switch fully settles in the market and has a solid user base. There's also the fact that digital sales should (in theory) net Nintendo even more profits, since they don't need any kind of manufacturing. The Switch seems to be the perfect console to go digital, being both a home and portable, it'd be more practical to switch (haha) games on the fly rather than doing it manually by changing cartridges.

Reactions: Mikaya
They have said that the reason that there was not a bundle at launch was due to the fact that a pack in game would put the system's price over $300. I believe that there is a Mario Kart bundle out now, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I never played 1-2 Switch, but it really didn't seem much more than a tech demo to me. I'd say the same about ARMS but that actually had something going for it, like Wii Party or Tomodachi Life, maybe not so much the latter as I believe that was first introduced on the Nintendo DS and didn't arrive on the 3DS until a little while into the console's lifespan.

Both 1-2 Switch and ARMS should've got bundles at launch. Especially the former, which really didn't deserve to be given a full release like I did. I've heard plenty of jokes about how supposedly bad 1-2 Switch was as a standalone title. ARMS, not so much, but if you're going to make games to show off your system, you should at least give them some kind of discount (i.e. a bundle) rather than expecting them to buy the games separately.

I'm sure the 99% of people who avoided 1-2 Switch might've actually played it if they saw it as little more than an extra for the console.

To be fair it would be unfair to assume what game you wanted when you buy a system. That's why they ask that when you buy a game and it goes straight to MyNintendo rewards. "Did you buy this system so you could play this game?". It really also messes with sales data and it's kinda wasteful. Mario/Duck Hunt was the most sold NES game ever made. Wii Sports beat it. Why? Because it came with the system. Yeah it feels like a tech demo/advertisement but it's actually pretty clever and the Switch had none of those gimmicks the buyer wasn't expecting other than screen convenience they already see in the actual release ads. I know the buyer might want a bundle, which they did have, but not because the Switch launched, but because the titles weren't there yet to be used with it.

Back