Why doesn't Nintendo have dedicated servers for its online games?

• Thread starter SS1o7crazydude
  • Start date
SS1o7crazydude

SS1o7crazydude

Pedia Mastermind
Towns Folk
The Nintendo Switch's online games rely on P2P networks. Why doesn't Nintendo have servers?

Reactions: Natsu'neko
you know i was thinking the same

So tell me why they don't have servers. I'm listening.

Because they're stupid and kind of lazy when it comes to these things. P2p is much easier to do.

A couple of things. First off, their older staff knows nothing about online and are living in old times. The online is even worse than the Wii u.

Second is more obvious, they want to save money by not using servers. For games like smash bros it is utterly unacceptable and unplayable, my internet connection is fine but other people have bad internet which results in games lagging.

My theory is that they only care about the dough.

I'd give them some time. It's not very practical to use dedicated servers in 1v1 games anyway, and moving a game like Splatoon 2 over to dedicated servers when it's already on the tail end of it's life doesn't make sense. I think (and hope) they'll release a Splatoon 3 in the coming years and that it'll have dedicated servers, it makes much more sense to invest in that for a 4v4 game like Splatoon then something like Smash, where dedicated servers may not benefit the game too much.

Back