Why is it called "Legend of Zelda" ??

• Thread starter Impulse
  • Start date
Impulse

Impulse

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
Ever since the very first Zelda game I always thought Link was Zelda, I know Zelda always plays a big part in the games, but Link is the protagonist and you're following his story, not Zelda's.

Maybe they call it that because "The Legend of Zelda" sounds better than "The Legend of Link".

Get Ready for a lengthy description =) (Loving the series so much I know a lot about the history of this game)

The original game was about a princess who was put into an eternal sleep due to her brother's negligence. The King passed away and the two inherited only two pieces of the triforce, with the third being hidden. A magician told the brother of a hidden piece of the triforce that the king had mentioned to the princess before his passing. Because of that the prince and the magician interrogated the princess and the magician threatened to place her into an eternal slumber. The prince didn't want that but could not stop the magician from doing so. The prince was so distraught that he placed Zelda into an alter until she could awaken. Because of this, he ordered that all princesses that are born in the royal family will have to be named Zelda, so that this tragedy would never be forgotten.

When Zelda II came about Link went on an adventure to find the triforce to awaken the princess.

So there you have it. That is the original reason as to why they called it The Legend of Zelda. Ever since Skyward sword came out though, I'm curious how they will change that considering that Skyward Sword is supposed to be the VERY first Legend of Zelda.

Reactions: 3dsatackman and Reece
wow, you really know your stuff. Thanks for that insightful explanation. xD

I've always wondered the same question (and many other fans too!)

Haha, it was no prob, Love the franchise so much that i've invested a lot of my time in the history of each game. Also helps to have the Hyrule Historia book =)

Mazumia did a great job explaining it. Basically there's always a legendary princess who holds the triforce of wisdom.

Link is just a name given by players because he is your link to the game. You can also name him in other games so naming the game the Legend of Link wouldn't make sense.

Reactions: 2 people
Wow, I never really knew that. I always thought the games featured the same Zelda and Link. I guess this story makes a lot more sense even though in gaming, concepts like aging and decay are pretty much foreign. Thanks for the explanation, although I should probably read Hyrule Historia for myself one day.

Really to understand how everything came about (like the name of the series which your asking) I reccomend reading the Hyrule historia which I finished in a quick day ( I am now officially a Zelda genius :p) but I'm really to lazy to completely explain why its called that, but it seems like you have your answer from earlier post so I'll just scadadal

I always thought it had something to do with
Zelda actually being the mortal form of the goddess Hylia, who defeated the Demon King Demise before Hyrule was Hyrule.

This is probably not the real reason, but meh:
Legend of Link = LoL

Reactions: Bugalet and 532
Get Ready for a lengthy description =) (Loving the series so much I know a lot about the history of this game)

The original game was about a princess who was put into an eternal sleep due to her brother's negligence. The King passed away and the two inherited only two pieces of the triforce, with the third being hidden. A magician told the brother of a hidden piece of the triforce that the king had mentioned to the princess before his passing. Because of that the prince and the magician interrogated the princess and the magician threatened to place her into an eternal slumber. The prince didn't want that but could not stop the magician from doing so. The prince was so distraught that he placed Zelda into an alter until she could awaken. Because of this, he ordered that all princesses that are born in the royal family will have to be named Zelda, so that this tragedy would never be forgotten.

When Zelda II came about Link went on an adventure to find the triforce to awaken the princess.

So there you have it. That is the original reason as to why they called it The Legend of Zelda. Ever since Skyward sword came out though, I'm curious how they will change that considering that Skyward Sword is supposed to be the VERY first Legend of Zelda.
I think this explanation said it all! The Legend of Link wouldn't have much of a last on gamers too, since Zelda (and to save the world) is really the main reason to why Link is going on this grand adventure. It makes sense to why it's name The Legend of Zelda. Poor Link though, people still knows him as Zelda.

my brother used to think tha tlink was zelda also XD but i think that it is a mix of what these guys said but also because they named the first game tloz so now they dont want to change it.

I always thought it had something to do with
Zelda actually being the mortal form of the goddess Hylia, who defeated the Demon King Demise before Hyrule was Hyrule.

I think that it is called Legend of Zelda, because she is a member of the Royal Family, and due to her importance in ruling the kingdom, she is often kidnapped. She holds the Triforce of Wisdom, and as long as you are wise, you will have enough Courage, and hence enough Power. Mazumia really explained it well, and it is intruiging to find the history of a game that a few people know the origins of.

Back