Why Monster Hunter World doesn't have a Nintendo Switch version

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Considering how the recent Monster Hunter games were all on Nintendo systems, you'd normally expect Capcom to release Monster Hunter World on the Nintendo Switch, right? Well, they didn't.

Here's why by the developers :
We don’t have any plans for the Switch at the moment. Part of the reason is that the title has been in development for almost 4 years. At the time we had to commit to our hardware choices, we decided on using the most powerful current generation consoles available at the time, which was PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. So [the decision was made] before the Switch was even announced or on sale.

It’s also because for every title we decide what the best fit for hardware is for the concept. We don’t just look at everything. It’s more like ‘if we want to achieve this kind of game concept, where’s the best place to achieve that?’ and for this title the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One were the best fit for us.
If the Nintendo Switch was launched earlier or if Nintendo had talked to developers early about their unannounced projects, we might have had a better chance of seeing the game on the console :panda:

Oh, bummer dude. Then again, it seems like they know what they're doing.

Considering how the recent Monster Hunter games were all on Nintendo systems, you'd normally expect Capcom to release Monster Hunter World on the Nintendo Switch, right? Well, they didn't.

Here's why by the developers :

If the Nintendo Switch was launched earlier or if Nintendo had talked to developers early about their unannounced projects, we might have had a better chance of seeing the game on the console :panda:
Yeah, but then, I doubt the Switch has the power to make it run. Sure, if Nintendo decided to have a talk with Capcom, it could have change things (and I think the whole aspect of the game would have changed if it was released on all platforms), but considering the current situation, I'd say that Capcom designed the game with the PS4 / Xbox One systems in mind, so, to port the code & graphical assets from those platforms to the Switch, you would have to be ready to take a massive visual downgrade, and even then, considering that the Switch embarks a underclocked Tegra X1 (ARM 64-bits (aka AArch64)), 4 cores @ 1020MHz), I'm not sure the frame rate would be pretty.

And the GPU, while it supports just as many APIs as the PS4 and Xbox One GPUs (It supports DirectX 12, OpenGL 4.5, OpenGL ES (think OpenGL for handhelds like the Vita/3DS & mobiles) 3.1 and as an added bonus because it's Nvidia, CUDA (which means that some simple, mathematical work can be done on the GPU to save CPU time, and some shaders) 6.0), have the same speed as laptop GPUs (~300MHz undocked, ~768MHz docked), so... What does this thing mean ?

If Capcom was to port MH:World to the Switch "as is" (-> with, of course, adjustments), you'd get the same results as running MH:World on a 400-500€ laptop once it'll be out for PC. Which means that you'll be able to play it, but you simply won't get the same experience as PC/PS4/XB1 players. It would still be something, but I think that people who don't know how computers work will find a way to complain (think "Why the Switch have no PS4/XB1/PC-tier graphics ?" "Why is it slow?", and other examples you could think of).

But that said, I'm still waiting for Capcom to port Monster Hunter XX in the West, anyway. That would compensate the lack of MH on the Switch (or at least, the lack of MH on Switch in the West).

Reactions: Marc
I don't care about Monster Hunter World. It looks amazing, the maps are amazing, Teostra and Kushala are there but I won't be able to play it due to the lack of a Current Gen console.

I just wish capcom would give XX an english option so that switch players could get a piece of the action.

I WANNA FIGHT A DRAGON WITH A JETPACK!!!
upload_2018-1-22_18-33-31.jpeg

I don't care about Monster Hunter World. It looks amazing, the maps are amazing, Teostra and Kushala are there but I won't be able to play it due to the lack of a Current Gen console.

I just wish capcom would give XX an english option so that switch players could get a piece of the action.

I WANNA FIGHT A DRAGON WITH A JETPACK!!!
View attachment 17790
Yeah, but Capcom isn't interested in localizing either the Switch version or the 3DS version (despite having 50% of the work done, since it's basically G-Rank Generations), because having Generations Ultimate (supposed name) could affect MH:World sales. So that means that the best bet you have is to hope for the Switch to get the 3DS treatment (as in, having a homebrew launcher that allows replacement of the games' RomFS, which contains all the data)

The thing is, don't expect it anytime soon, since they said on their Twitter that they weren't any plans for localizing. Best bet would be "pressuring" Nintendo into doing it (since it has already worked for some games in the past), but even there, I'm not even sure if Nintendo would be ready to port it to the West (though they should, I think the sales numbers show that the 3DS MH games sold pretty well, and, even turned French players into a living meme (can't blame them if they all begun with 4U, it was pretty well marketed here)).

Reactions: Farhaan Raja
Yeah, but Capcom isn't interested in localizing either the Switch version or the 3DS version (despite having 50% of the work done, since it's basically G-Rank Generations), because having Generations Ultimate (supposed name) could affect MH:World sales. So that means that the best bet you have is to hope for the Switch to get the 3DS treatment (as in, having a homebrew launcher that allows replacement of the games' RomFS, which contains all the data)

The thing is, don't expect it anytime soon, since they said on their Twitter that they weren't any plans for localizing. Best bet would be "pressuring" Nintendo into doing it (since it has already worked for some games in the past), but even there, I'm not even sure if Nintendo would be ready to port it to the West (though they should, I think the sales numbers show that the 3DS MH games sold pretty well, and, even turned French players into a living meme (can't blame them if they all begun with 4U, it was pretty well marketed here)).

Je suis monte...

I'm sure fan translations will help. This isn't the first time Capcom haven't localised a game cough cough Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

Yeah, but then, I doubt the Switch has the power to make it run. Sure, if Nintendo decided to have a talk with Capcom, it could have change things (and I think the whole aspect of the game would have changed if it was released on all platforms), but considering the current situation, I'd say that Capcom designed the game with the PS4 / Xbox One systems in mind, so, to port the code & graphical assets from those platforms to the Switch, you would have to be ready to take a massive visual downgrade, and even then, considering that the Switch embarks a underclocked Tegra X1 (ARM 64-bits (aka AArch64)), 4 cores @ 1020MHz), I'm not sure the frame rate would be pretty.

And the GPU, while it supports just as many APIs as the PS4 and Xbox One GPUs (It supports DirectX 12, OpenGL 4.5, OpenGL ES (think OpenGL for handhelds like the Vita/3DS & mobiles) 3.1 and as an added bonus because it's Nvidia, CUDA (which means that some simple, mathematical work can be done on the GPU to save CPU time, and some shaders) 6.0), have the same speed as laptop GPUs (~300MHz undocked, ~768MHz docked), so... What does this thing mean ?

If Capcom was to port MH:World to the Switch "as is" (-> with, of course, adjustments), you'd get the same results as running MH:World on a 400-500€ laptop once it'll be out for PC. Which means that you'll be able to play it, but you simply won't get the same experience as PC/PS4/XB1 players. It would still be something, but I think that people who don't know how computers work will find a way to complain (think "Why the Switch have no PS4/XB1/PC-tier graphics ?" "Why is it slow?", and other examples you could think of).

But that said, I'm still waiting for Capcom to port Monster Hunter XX in the West, anyway. That would compensate the lack of MH on the Switch (or at least, the lack of MH on Switch in the West).

I have a feeling that they'd port a less demanding version sometime in the future, probably a year or two later. The market is currently too big to ignore. If FFXV can run on a Switch (admittedly slowly currently), then I think MH World may work too.

Reactions: D4rkDragon
I have a feeling that they'd port a less demanding version sometime in the future, probably a year or two later. The market is currently too big to ignore. If FFXV can run on a Switch (admittedly slowly currently), then I think MH World may work too.

It's true that they could if they manage to do it. But, would Sony let that happen ? I mean, Sony really paid Capcom quite the hefty amount of money to market it as a "Playstation-first" title (and it's PS4-only in Japan (not like it would influence the XB1 sales there by much anyway)), and I doubt they'd be willing to let Capcom put such a "key" title for the PS4's success in Japan on a competitor's system (because if they happen to do so, I think that Switch would again beat the PS4 in terms of hardware sales by a lot, and considering how MHW has influenced the PS4's sales there lately, it's not exactly far-fetched to think that Japan + MHW + Portable Gaming would have a big impact).

Also, unrelated, but didn't SQEX wanted to release the "chibi"-fied version of FFXV that's bound to arrive on iOS/Android devices on Switch at one point ?

I mean, Sony really paid Capcom quite the hefty amount of money to market it as a "Playstation-first" title (and it's PS4-only in Japan (not like it would influence the XB1 sales there by much anyway)

Fun fact; The Xbox is actually so unpopular in japan
To give you some perspective, this christmas:
The Switch sold 17,000 units
The Ps4 Pro sold 15,000 units

The Xbox One X sold 23.
Not 23,000 or 2300.... literally 23. If you flew over to Japan and bought an XboxOneX, you would actually have an impact on the sales. This is why Capcom never bothered with it in Japan.

I'm not surprised, Nintendo's phone chip (its got the same power as a Snapdragon 820) is no where near capable of reproducing the effects of Monster Hunter World. I'd like to assume the gigantic heavy graphic Monster Hunter games will stay on the PlayStation or Xbox while those traditional 3ds like games will still be developed on the Switch.

Also, unrelated, but didn't SQEX wanted to release the "chibi"-fied version of FFXV that's bound to arrive on iOS/Android devices on Switch at one point ?

Not entirely clear yet, but they said they're working towards the full version for the Switch

D4rkDragon said:

The only reason why I have not bough MHXX is because of the slight possibility of a Western release. I have generations for the 3DS and would like to transfer all my saves bought can only do it with a NA version of the game.

A monster hunter game for Switch is a given though. Maybe not a Worlds port or maybe not XX localized, but I think a New entry down the line has to come right? Monster Hunter has been on 3DS for a while. Ditching the Switch doesn't seem right.

Reactions: D4rkDragon
The only reason why I have not bough MHXX is because of the slight possibility of a Western release. I have generations for the 3DS and would like to transfer all my saves bought can only do it with a NA version of the game.

A monster hunter game for Switch is a given though. Maybe not a Worlds port or maybe not XX localized, but I think a New entry down the line has to come right? Monster Hunter has been on 3DS for a while. Ditching the Switch doesn't seem right.
The thing is, considering how MHW is going to be a big cash flow for Capcom and Sony, I doubt Sony is going to let the licence head back to Nintendo soon. Implying there's roughly 1.5 XB1 copies, considering there have been 5M units shipped (not sold, shipped), that would still be 3.5M PS4 copies, which could still be a lot of money enough for Sony to try to have Capcom keep on making games for PlayStation systems.

That said, the fact that Capcom also enjoy having some of the MH games on portable systems and the fact that Sony totally dropped the ball with the Vita (and now the fact that the Switch was selling like hot cakes everywhere) means that we could get a Switch MH game. But again, take it with a grain of salt, because considering how much the PS4's hardware sales were boosted in Japan just because of MH, I doubt Sony would enjoy seeing Nintendo overtake the PS4 even more (because MH sells well, but handhelds sell pretty well. So MH + handhelds is the killer combo in Japan) without them doing much.

Too bad it's very unlikely for the PS4 or Xone to do crossplay. It's not that the PS4 can't crossplay with the Xone, but Sony doesn't do it though. (Remember their explaination to killing the crossplay they had briefly with Fortnite?
It was basically: "It was a bug on our part. But don't worry, we've now fixed it.")

Too bad it's very unlikely for the PS4 or Xone to do crossplay. It's not that the PS4 can't crossplay with the Xone, but Sony doesn't do it though. (Remember their explaination to killing the crossplay they had briefly with Fortnite?
It was basically: "It was a bug on our part. But don't worry, we've now fixed it.")

Even with Minecraft they don't allow it. Every other platform (switch, mobile, PC, Xbox) can play with eachother except PlayStation. It's just selfishness.

I have played the beta for this game and I have also played other games from this franchise on nintendo systems, be it the nintendo 3ds and nintendo wii. When I first played the beta, I noticed something was missing, I still don´t know what, but I am guessing that it is that nintendo touch on games or maybe it is because I was used to playing those games on nintendo systems.
Apparently, the reason why this game is not on the nintendo switch today is because the development of the game started 3 years ago and by that time the nintendo X (NX) did not exist. My thoughts right now about this situation: Capcom must be really upset with itself for not waiting for the revelation of the nintendo switch; this game is usually associated to nintendo consoles so it is kind of weird not having it now. I think they should decide son whether or not they are going to launch the game on the switch and if they do, they will find a really good reception from the consumers.

Even with Minecraft they don't allow it. Every other platform (switch, mobile,

PC, Xbox) can play with eachother except PlayStation. It's just selfishness.

Except Microsoft was doing it as well during the 360 era (Sony asked for crossplay on some games (don't remember which), and Microsoft said nope)). Why ? Money, of course. You'd be more inclined to get a PS3 and go for the free online if the servers had cross-play back then. Now, however, since both are in the same boat, it's just stupid. And more so when you know that the XB1 and PC won't even be able to do crossplay, when they can do it on other games (even though there are also a few PS4+PC crossplay titles in the wild)!

I have played the beta for this game and I have also played other games from this franchise on nintendo systems, be it the nintendo 3ds and nintendo wii. When I first played the beta, I noticed something was missing, I still don´t know what, but I am guessing that it is that nintendo touch on games or maybe it is because I was used to playing those games on nintendo systems.
Apparently, the reason why this game is not on the nintendo switch today is because the development of the game started 3 years ago and by that time the nintendo X (NX) did not exist. My thoughts right now about this situation: Capcom must be really upset with itself for not waiting for the revelation of the nintendo switch; this game is usually associated to nintendo consoles so it is kind of weird not having it now. I think they should decide son whether or not they are going to launch the game on the switch and if they do, they will find a really good reception from the consumers.
Judging by what I saw (because I don't have a PS4), what I'll miss is the actual "old gen" feel. I mean, sure, I think World might be a good game, and I'm eager to try it on my PC while waiting for a Switch MH title, but it doesn't look like to have the "you're gonna get a beating until you properly learn the game" scheme the previous games had. Or at least, it looks so up until late HR, while I found that scheme to be kicking in quite early in older generations (even P3rd which is regarded as the easiest one have it).

As for the reason, maybe they could be regretting it, but, can't exactly blame them either. Games are usually developed on a tight, very tight schedule, and according to what I'm seeing during classes of project management, it's quite difficult. The deadlines for those projects are very strict, and since there's a lot of money on the line (-> a lot was invested, and a lot can be earned), it puts an incredible pressure on the developers, and said developers are likely to be blamed when something goes wrong anyway, whether it be a feature not delivered on time, or not done right (Don't believe me ? Who are you going to blame next time you get hit by a monster for 70+% of your health in G-Rank ?).

So in any case, there isn't much they could have done. If they were aware of the Switch's presence soon enough, they could have done something, but here, considering the size of the project, the game was likely in dev for a few years, so, I kinda understand the "Blame Nintendo" game. By the time the Switch was announced publicly, I'd say that they would have had at least a third or more of the game done, and porting it would have required more resources and wouldn't have went right (What would have Sony done if they learnt that Capcom was making the game also for the Switch ? How would they announce a highly anticipated game would get a delay because they're deciding to bring it to the Switch ?).

TL;DR: It appears to be missing this "punishing" side previous MH games had from the get-go, and World seems to get it only at late HR according to what I read/saw online, and Capcom isn't exactly wrong for playing the "Blame Nintendo" game. If Nintendo told Capcom about the Switch way earlier, it could have been done, but by the time the Switch was publicly known, it was too costly / hard to try to make a Switch version.

Reactions: EstebanTill2
One thing that is important to note is that they said
“Every title we decide what the best fit for hardware is for the concept.”
World is clearly a game that utilizes the power in xbox one and ps4 systems. It has beautiful landscapes with many details in the land, as well as not needing loading screens because the whole map is one large area, rather than the segmented areas that are in all the games before it. Thier concept for this game was probably to make the biggest, most seamless and beautiful monster hunter currently possible, and that cannot be done on a handheld device.

I can kinda understand why they wouldn’t want it on Nintendo Switch, even if they had known that Switch was coming out later that year.

The Switch can only run so much on it’s hardware (not much at all compared to Xbox One X and PS4 Pro), so it’d make the most sense to put the game on the most high powered consoles to date.

Back