PC Why Steam is safe. (Not a Virus)

• Thread starter G MAN
  • Start date
G MAN

G MAN

NYEH HEH HEH!
Towns Folk
For those of you who didn't already know, Steam is a PC gaming application used by many. But to me at first it felt sketchy. I mean, free games calling, stuff like that? Oh, no I wasn't trying that again. I got a virus from Skype, so no. But as I did research, it showed it had anti-cheat, etc. Plus, how could it not be safe? I mean, I've seen their gift cards at wal mart. Now that I've tryed it, I pay games with my friends without spending a dime I don't want to.

I am not really a fan of Steam games but I can say that it is not a virus XD . I have known Steam for a good community of Computer Gaming and I have never known it for making viruses . Sorry to hear that you got a virus from Skype . Yes Steam is quite famous too and even some members play it :)

It's where all PC gamers go to download and activate their PC games (that, and Origin). Of course there aren't any viruses. If you purchase a PC game disc from a store, I think you'll need to activate it with Steam online.

I'm actually shocked these days if a PC game that doesn't say "Games for Windows" actually has a disc in the box. Most of them just give you a Steam key, which rather hurts those in rural areas where internet speeds around dialup or less.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the current DRM, where one has to ALWAYS be connected, just to play a single player game. I miss the old DRM, with codewheels and codewords derived from the instruction manual.

Reactions: Hayleia
I never bought a PC retail game that didn't come with the disc o_O Sure they gave you a key as well to activate the product but no disc at all? Never saw this =/

Steam is obviously safe, but I've decided that it doesn't belong on non-gaming-dedicated computers. It slowed down my old laptop to heck back then, and would have updates downloading all the time. I use SteamCommunity to send a message to old friends :giggle: but don't use the platform anymore. If you have a gaming computer, then Steam is great.

Back