Why was this ever a thing?

• Thread starter Samster
  • Start date
Samster

Samster

*secretly has a crush on Marina
Towns Folk
Usually, when I’m bored, I just surf the Internet. I was doing just that this morning when I found something really weird. It was a Mario education game. :eek:

73D83B81-39BA-470E-B42B-69789F97CAF0.jpeg

No idea why this was ever made tbh. And before you ask, I’m not entirely sure of this was an official Nintendo game or not. It was made for the SNES, NES, MAC, and PC. The basic plot was that Mario had been kidnapped (Luigi’s Mansion, anyone?), and Luigi had to save his brother by any means nessecary. The game is super weird, cause there’s many different storylines and ending for different versions of the game. If you wanna know more about it, you can Google it, but just saying, it’s really weird, IMO .-.

Do you think that this is a weird game too? Please tell me you do.

Usually, when I’m bored, I just surf the Internet. I was doing just that this morning when I found something really weird. It was a Mario education game. :eek:

View attachment 18652

No idea why his was ever made tbh. And before you ask, I’m not entirely sure of this was an official Nintendo game or not. It was made for the SNES, NES, MAC, and PC. The basic plot was that Mario had been kidnapped (Luigi’s Mansion, anyone?), and Luigi had to save his brother by any means nessecary. The game is super weird, cause there’s many different storylines and ending for different versions of the game. If you wanna know more about it, you can Google it, but just saying, it’s really weird, IMO .-.

Do you think that this is a weird game too? Please tell me you do.
Looks weird. I never heard of the game and it does sound a bit like Luigi's Mansion. Looks like a really weird game.

It's bad. Very bad. There are a lot of bad mario games, many not made by nintendo (Hotel Mario anyone?). I'm sure it was thought of as a good idea at the time (Mario is a kid friendly character, so an educational game can't go wrong, right?) but it was executed very poorly. The game itself makes no sens, it's just bad.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of it. The game is a living meme, like the Zelda CDi games.

Reactions: Samster
It's bad. Very bad. There are a lot of bad mario games, many not made by nintendo (Hotel Mario anyone?). I'm sure it was thought of as a good idea at the time (Mario is a kid friendly character, so an educational game can't go wrong, right?) but it was executed very poorly. The game itself makes no sens, it's just bad.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of it. The game is a living meme, like the Zelda CDi games.
Yeah I heard of Hotel Mario and I hear it is an absolute awful game.

Reactions: Duffy

Oh god, not the Zelda CDi games. :eek:

Those were literally disturbing on how bad they were. Definitely not Nintendo licensed, and made by Phillips CDi. Plus they actually named one of the games Link, and not Zelda. *gets triggered

Oh god, not the Zelda CDi games. :eek:

Those were literally disturbing on how bad they were. Definitely not Nintendo licensed, and made by Phillips CDi. Plus they actually named one of the games Link, and not Zelda. *gets triggered
Yeah those games look absolutely cringey. How could those Phillips CDi guys actually think this would be a fun game?

Yeah those games look absolutely cringey. How could those Phillips CDi guys actually think this would be a fun game?
Unfortanely some game developers (back then, and now) don't play a lot of popular games. So they often don't really know what the general public (or large portions of games) finds as fun.

A while back when Five Nights at Freddy's was selling mad well and making a killing, a youtuber was able to interview a bunch of mid range-to-well known game developers. He asked them about Five Nights at Freddy's and a lot of them didn't even know the franchise existed... Which is pretty sad considering they work in the industry that made those games into the hugs successes they are/were.

Reactions: Samster
Unfortanely some game developers (back then, and now) don't play a lot of popular games. So they often don't really know what the general public (or large portions of games) finds as fun.

A while back when Five Nights at Freddy's was selling mad well and making a killing, a youtuber was able to interview a bunch of mid range-to-well known game developers. He asked them about Five Nights at Freddy's and a lot of them didn't even know the franchise existed... Which is pretty sad considering they work in the industry that made those games into the hugs successes they are/were.
Wow really? That just goes to show how weird those games are.

OMG! I used to have this game or I still have this!

Ah yes the origination of Weegee the strongest Mario character to ever exist. I haven't played this game but it's a nice breath of fresh air after playing the classic Mario Teaches Typing 1 and 2 (haven't played those either). It gave us better memes than anything Luigi could've ever done in a modern Luigi game.

OMG! I used to have this game or I still have this!
To clarify my last post, I've played this before, and I must say that it's so confusing to play! There is no clear objective, and I think you are just running around looking for 'artifacts'. You would probably have to get a bunch walkthroughs and whatnot. I really don't understand how to play it after all these years, and I probably never will. If anybody knows how to play it... please share!

I still have the game and a SNES to play it... so I'm kinda hoping that someone finds out if it's any good.

When I was a youngster, my father got me into a Mario based typing tutor program. So, to me, this isn't surprising at all.

Reactions: Jisenku
I think these type of games are completely acceptable, at least to their target demographic. Playing a Mario game in school would've captured my interest far more easily than some sort of generic lesson taught by the teacher.

By no means would I be hyped to play it, it's cringe but it served its purpose in its time period.

I remember seeing this game a lot when I’d go to Hollywood Video as a kid, but I don’t remember if I played it. Looking at screenshots, I have a vague recollection of it. I definitely played its successor Mario’s Time Machine, which was also not made by Nintendo. I just remember it being boring and trying really hard to be educational.

I still haven't been able to clear the first level...

aaaaaa

Back