wii u takes up 7 gb in updates and memory!

• Thread starter Lotad Lover
  • Start date
Lotad Lover

Lotad Lover

Lover of the mighty Lotad god.
Towns Folk
I got a wii u recently and when I set it up I had to to do the update for it, (which was ridiculously long, but that is another story).
Any way after it was done I only had 25/32 giga bytes of data left, meaning it took up 7 giga bytes of storage!

This is ok for me as I bought a 32 gb wii u but imagine people with only 8 gb? Also, I can't really tell what the massive update has acctually done to improve the system.

What do you guys think of this?

Well, personally, I think it actually sucks. But it is a very helpful update so if I had a 8gb console, I would at least be thankful. yeah, I have 32 gb wii u also but honestly, the white one is is really horrible so not many people have it, meaning that not much people will run into this problem. But yeah, it does indeed suck. It is crazy how big of an update it is though, mk8 dlc takes 1 gb, YIKES!

What really? I was thinking of a wii u basic but now I'm definitely having second thoughts. This sucks so I guess if I want a wii u I'll have to get the black 32 gb one.

I agree. Because I own the Wii U deluxe, it really isn`t such a big deal for me. But I can see why this would be a massive problem for basic owners. They can`t download games other than virtual console (and maybe small indie games), and the game updates would be a problem

Yea Wii U data take up a lot of space ,_,
Thankfully I have a 32 GB and that I plan to buy only physical copies for my Wii U otherwise I would have been in some trouble @-@. Plus do they actually sell 8GB Wii Us? I thought the smallest would've been 16...

Well , I find that rather unusually large but I guess that it's all the necessary files for a better experience a Wii U is supposed to have ? But it must really be hard for the 8 GB owners since they can't get many stuff digitally . So I guess the 32 GB is more recommended when you buy a Wii U :/

Oh yea on the subject of people with 8 GB Wii U's at least they can use an external hard drive (aka SD Card) to download more stuff into. But that also means that you have to buy at least 32 GB on your SD Card. Which is around $15-$20 at most stores. So all of the 8GB Wii U owners gotta resort to SD Cards if they want to download games and other stuff...

Well in honesty, Updates will always take up a good chunk of your base storage unit, whilst you may think that this is kind of sucky, it's unfortunately the same as all next generation consoles, and the Wii U is no different. The Wii U when it first came out was very limited and bare in comparison to the super-updated console we have now, which although it takes up a lot of memory from the base storage unit, it has given us a lot of new things that were not implemented into the origional base Wii U. For example as we get more features added for the Wii U, which include: including the amiibo feature, miiverse, system stability improvements and similar adjustments, all the different menus for the Wii U console and it's pad including notification updates, all the base apps that the Wii U comes with such as the Internet Browser, the Wii mode plus the compatibility updates, and etcetera etcetera, all of these updates were necessary, especially just the stability/compatibility updates, some of the updates were necessary for the compatibility of the new Nintendo exclusive games we have, like the New Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8, whilst the updates are kind of annoying and take up a lot of space, we need them to use the Wii U at it's best efficiency and play the games at it's greatest potential, its just a fact. I do agree that it is quite lame and hard-bearing for those who bought the origional 8GB model, they would probably have needed to spend a good amount of money buying an SSD, harddrive or SD card to get enough memory for not just the Wii U, but any possible games they buy and download, i feel sorry for them in this aspect, but eventually everyone will need to buy an external hard drive anyway for the same reason, they just had to do it first. Its a hard life for console gamers who buy the basic models :(

Reactions: spagooti
It doesn't matter whether you have the 8gb or the 32gb, really, the 32gb isn't as good as it seems, if you download games a accessive amount, you will need an memory stick / sd card edventally. I have a 8gb basic white wii u and I get along fine with using other uses of storage. The memory of the wii u should only matter to those who download games often is what I'm saying.

Oh yea on the subject of people with 8 GB Wii U's at least they can use an external hard drive (aka SD Card) to download more stuff into. But that also means that you have to buy at least 32 GB on your SD Card. Which is around $15-$20 at most stores. So all of the 8GB Wii U owners gotta resort to SD Cards if they want to download games and other stuff...
It doesn't matter whether you have the 8gb or the 32gb, really, the 32gb isn't as good as it seems, if you download games a accessive amount, you will need an memory stick / sd card edventally. I have a 8gb basic white wii u and I get along fine with using other uses of storage. The memory of the wii u should only matter to those who download games often is what I'm saying.
You need a USB memory stick for the wii u. The SDcard works for wii mode only

Back