Will Forums Survive?

• Thread starter J Greig
  • Start date
J

J Greig

NintenPedia Member
Towns Folk
With the increasing use of social networks in this day and age, do you really think forums are going to last? I love using forums, and think they should be the main point for discussion between people, but with the likes of Facebook chat etc, can this take the people away from forums?

I personally believe there will always be a place for forums on the internet. Especially when meeting new people.

I haven't seen many places on facebook because it's so hard to find someone when in a forum you can basically find the place you want to chat and many other's will be there to chat and discuss the same things you like, based on the topics. Plus posts on facebook get ignored easier.

Forums have a sense of control for the end user, they feel like they're a part of the community whereas Facebook and the like serve as a different function.

Yes forums will definitely survive even though social networks are hurting forums. There is still money to be made in the forum industry and I dont see that changing anytime soon.

It's a lot easier to discuss specific things on a forum vs something lie Facebook. Plus, if you're setting up game matches, it's a lot easier to setup and find people interested in that specific thing.

Forums are being created every day, and ones that have established will survive, as long as the interest is still there. Conversing with others using forums is much easier and more engaging, which is why they're more popular.

I personally love forums. They aren't nearly as popular as they were back in 08-'10, but a lot of them are still bustling with activity. It really just depends on the community interest/general activity levels. It's tough to know what makes a member want to stick around, though. I think it's really just a hit/miss kind of thing. Some forums have higher activity levels while others stay at a steady slow pace. I enjoy forums over other social media platforms because as someone already said, I like the feeling of being in a community rather than senselessly posting around on FB (I don't do that anyway) or sharing nonsense to strangers on Twitter (which I also never got into).

Forums will never go away. They give you a bit more of 'closeness' and personal feel when communicating with people through forums while keeping your anonymity It's a great way for people to meet and make new friends without all the crap from social networks with wall posts and the like.

As a lot of people have already said in this thread, forums won't ever die. I believe sites like reddit are going to become way more popular than forums though (well... they already are) and forums might become something for more die-hard fans and similar.

Forums eventually do die out. It depends on how dedicated the members and staff are. But there will be a time when you are getting too old and need to do more important things... like money and family.

I was a member of 2 of the biggest forums and was very painfull seeing them deactivate the site.

I love the enthusiasm that I'm seeing in this thread. There is something about forums...especially when it comes to help-type forums it's fantastic that you can google any question and the answer is a link to a forum with someone asking the same thing and getting an accurate answer to whatever problem or topic.

Despite the fact that social media is growing ever-so-more popular, forums are doing just that to match up with social media. Communities nowadays are getting their members involved, be it over Facebook or Twitter, to spread the word about the community and help them grow. They will always have a place so long as they have the community to go with it.

It's my honest opinion that you can't replace the bulletin board system with a Facebook timeline. It's just not possible.

Forums used to be popular before the rise of social network. However, a good forum will last long because of good content.

I certainly hope so. I love forums and meeting new people that have, for the most part, the same common interests as me. I am always looking for new ones to join, but unfortunately there are really not very many active ones anymore. Much more interesting discussion is provided on forums than on Facebook.

I think yes forum will survive, forum has its own lovers, I use facebook, twitter and YouTube but forum I still use the most.

Totally forums will survive but what you should know that there might be some of them but not all of them will shut down forums is a way to help people having problem with something

I think forums will last just because it easily isolates people with very similar interests to you. Plus they usually don't have to deal with scammers or annoying people!

Social Media is for celebrities and talking to friends they know in real life.

Forums are for discussing anonymously about a certain topic that interests you.

Yeah...forums aren't going to die any time soon.

Reactions: Mikaya
Forums aren't going anywhere unless people suddenly don't want to use them anymore. Just like anything else, forums will exist as long as someone wants to use them. Forums are a great way to discuss certain topics which one finds interesting. It helps connect like-minded people who can't talk together in real-life over a common platform that is available to everyone (the Internet).

Back