Will the NX Have a "Gimmick"?

• Thread starter Bobcam7!
  • Start date
Bobcam7!

Bobcam7!

*Consuming itself*
Towns Folk
The Wii had the Wiimotes, the 3DS had, as its namesake suggests, 3D and the Wii U had its gamepad/NFC touchpad and the big question is: Will the NX have a "gimmick" and what would it be? Virtual Reality? Mobile/console cross? Of will it be something completely new?

I think VR will be a thing (or they're going to highly consider it since VR is a bit popular now) but I'm not sure if it'll come with the console. It might be like the circle pad pro for 3DS or the pro controller for Wii U.

As for an "out of the box" gimmick, I think it will but I'm unsure what it'll be.

I have high hopes that it'll be compatible somehow with the 3DS, Wii U (probably) and Nintendo's next handheld.

I would like it if as a "gimmick" they made it a high-spec portable tha can connect to TV to act as both a home console and portable console. Hopefully that way they won't have to make the usual "one home console and one portable console" thing.

I'd prefer if they did not use VR, in fact.

I think VR will be a thing (or they're going to highly consider it since VR is a bit popular now)
They have considered it and I believe Reggie Fils-Amie had this (More or less) to say about it.

"We'll wait and see if consumers are interested in virtual reality, and if it's a trend, expect Nintendo to be on it." Which begs the question of: Who is this company, and what did they do to Nintendo? What happened to leap before you look and come up with a crazy gimmick? (Actually the answer is likely the fact Nintendo doesn't want another Virtual Boy.)

I think so. Nintendo kinda needs a gimmick to survive. No idea what it'll be, though.

People say the Wii U GamePad is a gimmick and yeah, it kinda is, but it's the least gimmicky / unique console Nintendo has ever created. It didn't really do anything new.

They have considered it and I believe Reggie Fils-Amie had this (More or less) to say about it.

"We'll wait and see if consumers are interested in virtual reality, and if it's a trend, expect Nintendo to be on it." Which begs the question of: Who is this company, and what did they do to Nintendo? What happened to leap before you look and come up with a crazy gimmick? (Actually the answer is likely the fact Nintendo doesn't want another Virtual Boy.)

VR isn't a gimmick. It's just a new way of viewing a game. Basically an elaborate monitor or TV.

Most likely the fact that their past gimmicks have been gimmicks meant to be included as game mechanics, VR is hardly a game mechanic and would be useless overall.

They took risks with the Wii's motion controls and the DS' dual screens and touchscreen. And they won.

They took another risk with 3D effects (hardly gameplay-involved) and the Gamepad (actually hindered gameplay) and they failed.

I think the "Gimmick" would either be Virtual reality, or if not that then the fact that you can bring it home, and then bring it anywhere you want on the go! I mean, let's be honest, that is a huge deal to be able to do that!

Back