Windows 10 & 3DS micro sd Management

• Thread starter Kitsune_Sakura64
  • Start date
Kitsune_Sakura64

Kitsune_Sakura64

Shadow Queen
Towns Folk
Nowhere on the internet is there a solution to this. Feel free to prove me wrong.

The 3DS lets you access its sd card via PC, but it only supports Windows 7, and Windows 8-point-one.

Microsoft, as you're likely well-aware, has all but forced every Windows 7 OS to update to Windows 10.
Because of this, the username/password authentication feature-- that the 3DS expects you to utilize on your PC-- will no longer function.

This leads to Windows 10 blaming the error on the remoteless device (in this case, the 3DS), when, really, if it just allowed you to input your username and password, it would work fine. But it won't, so it doesn't.

There is minimal advice on the web, none of it successful in my experience.

No firewalls, remote file sharing is on, the 3DS shows up on the PC and is connected. Error occurs when trying to access the 3DS file.

I'm trying to move everything on my micro SD card (of 4GB, that came with the system) to a new 128 GB micro sd card, so that I have more storage space. Because of the roadblock described above, I have absolutely no idea how to do this.

Any new advice/suggestions would be appreciated~!

I guess you're talking about the New 3DS which has a wireless data transfer thing (idk how it works, I don't have this)
The best luck you can have is to buy an SD card reader to put your SD card in a USB port.

But I think I should warn you: I have a Nintendo 3DSXL and a Windows 10. Sometimes, when I put my SD card on my Windows 10, altough I make sure I always turn my console off before, sometimes the console fails to read the SD card. Also, sometimes the computer refuses to let me safely remove the card (the task manager doesn't help me know what's wrong). It's problems I didn't find an answer to, but for the first case you just have to put it again on your computer, remove it safely and try again, and again,... in the second case, just turn your computer off before you remove the card. I guess it counts as safely since the computer turns every program off.

While not exactly what you're asking about, but useful none the less...The 3DS has a maximum of number of games/apps it can handle and tops out at 300. Source
I don't believe Nintendo fixed this issue with the New 3DS or the New XL either.

I don't want you wasting such a large SD card better suited for a Switch than a 3DS. From my personal experience I had to reformat a 64 GB SD card to FAT32 so the 3DS could even read the 64 GB SD card. From what I understand Windows only re-formats up to 32 GB SD cards...At least Windows did when I re-formatted my 64 GB one about 2 & 1/2 years ago (before Windows 10). Personally I have a fairly large library of good sized 3DS games on my system and I've barley gone over half of a 64 GB SD card. 3DS games aren't usually very big. (the largest game I could find was [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/wiki/size_of_games]Xenoblade Chronicles[/URL] at 3.6 GB for the New 3DS)

I'll also look into the Micro SD card management because now I'm very curious too. I'll let you know what I find, even if it's nothing at all.

While not exactly what you're asking about, but useful none the less...The 3DS has a maximum of number of games/apps it can handle and tops out at 300. Source
I don't believe Nintendo fixed this issue with the New 3DS or the New XL either.

I don't want you wasting such a large SD card better suited for a Switch than a 3DS. From my personal experience I had to reformat a 64 GB SD card to FAT32 so the 3DS could even read the 64 GB SD card. From what I understand Windows only re-formats up to 32 GB SD cards...At least Windows did when I re-formatted my 64 GB one about 2 & 1/2 years ago (before Windows 10). Personally I have a fairly large library of good sized 3DS games on my system and I've barley gone over half of a 64 GB SD card. 3DS games aren't usually very big. (the largest game I could find was Xenoblade Chronicles at 3.6 GB for the New 3DS)

I'll also look into the Micro SD card management because now I'm very curious too. I'll let you know what I find, even if it's nothing at all.

After much farting around and pushing option buttons, I think I figured it out! Nintendo's site was no help.

Stuff to know and do:

Plug in you 3DS system!

May take several (or many) tries to connect your 3DS to your Network and or PC.

1) turn on your system and go to the Micro SD card Management

2) go to File Explorer on your PC

3) scroll down the list of items until you find Network on your PC and open the Network option

4) double click on whatever you Named your 3DS console on your PC
(if you don't see your 3DS's name Disconnect you 3DS from the Network and exit out of File Explorer and repeat steps 1 to 4 until your 3DS shows up)

5) for whatever reason both my User Name and Name were being combined... to get around this I went to the change account on the credential fill in box on your PC and plugged in the User Name of the PC and entered the correct Password displayed on the top screen of the 3DS in the credential box on the PC

6) after doing step 5 you should see the option (may be in a folder) labeled micro SD

7) double click on micro SD folder and you should be able to drag and drop the contents to your desktop

8) after dragging and dropping ALL the contents of micro SD card folder to your desktop theoretically you should be able to drag the contents of your initial micro SD card to the new SD card? I can't confirm the last part because I don't have an SD card to transfer data to, nor do I need to...

Disclaimer:
I hope I helped and sorry for my lack of proper technical terms, I described what I saw and did to the best of my ability.

If you need help getting the data onto your new micro SD card call Nintendo 1(800)255-3700 in North America.

EDIT: If you have done everything I have tried to explain above try reformatting you micro SD card to FAT32 as I explained in my first post. The 3DS can't read anything above 32 GB! If this is indeed the case here's a GUIDE with an applicable tool(s) to help format your micro SD card. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kitsune_Sakura64 and Alegria
@Kitsune_Sakura64 could you please let me know what you did or did not do for the suggestions I gave. I would appreciate feedback for future reference and to potentially help others seeking this information. I'm particularly interested in how you accomplished #8 in the SD card data transfer or if simply reformatting your SD card fixed the issue. I would also be interested if nothing I wrote helped.

Thank you for the feedback!

I just put the micro sd into the computer, copied the files into a folder, and then copied that onto the new card.

It works~
*closes thread*

Reactions: Alegria
Back