Winter 2016 Anime Season

• Thread starter DeathDragon
  • Start date
DeathDragon

DeathDragon

Gotta protect that smile
Towns Folk
Since no one has made a thread about it yet, I figured I could :p

What do you think of the new anime season? What are the one's you're watching and which ones do you think have a lot of potential? The ones I'm watching are:

Boku dake ga Inai Machi - this psychological and supernatural anime has really caught my eye and, from the first 2 episodes, I can tell it has a great plot and portrays the mysterious atmosphere excellently. It's probably my favorite this season.
Musaigen no Phantom World - this has a unique MC, a likable cast, and although the plot doesn't seem so compelling, it's quite funny and has potential. It has a similar feel to Noragami too.
Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm - a VN adaption with an interesting concept, a nice cast and a calming atmosphere. I'm curious to see whether the anime will be more of a romance or a sports anime - either way, it has potential.
Dagashi Kashi - a nice refreshing comical slice-of-life, I think I'll be enjoying watching this every week. And I bet there will be war between TeamHotaru and TeamSaya xD
Shouko-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu - Another nice slice-of-life with comical and possibly romance elements, but the character portrayal doesn't seem great to me. I still find it interesting though.
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! - it seems similar to NGNL and I like the more RPG focused elements, don't think this will be on the level of NGNL but I also hope this doesn't go down the same sort of route SAO did... (focusing on the romance and side-quests rather than the main storyline >.>)

I'm also watching Haikyuu S2, leftover from last year's Fall, and Fairy Tail Zero, which I have already read the manga of and can't wait to see how it's adaption comes along! I'm considering watching Divine Gate too, it looks pretty good.

What do you guys think of Winter 2016? ^-^

Last edited:
Seems pretty good. Fairy tail zero is fantastic, and I believe Fairy tail should come back soon, probably after fairy tail zero. I honestly am unsure about this year. 2014 was the best in my opinion, but this year may seem a bit low. Of course, it may seem awesome, but I guess we dunno until we see the releases of new anime. Nice list by the way, I may consider checking some of them out.

Seems pretty good. Fairy tail zero is fantastic, and I believe Fairy tail should come back soon, probably after fairy tail zero. I honestly am unsure about this year. 2014 was the best in my opinion, but this year may seem a bit low. Of course, it may seem awesome, but I guess we dunno until we see the releases of new anime. Nice list by the way, I may consider checking some of them out.

Yeah, I'm assuming Fairy Tail will be straight back into action after FTZero, as I can't see how they could safely put in filler without affecting the storyline between the Tartarus Arc and the upcoming arc (having read the manga). The Fairy Tail Zero manga was amazing and I really hope A1 Pictures don't ruin it by adding filler or anything >.>.
So far, we haven't seen anything amazing this year, but we are still going to get Attack on Titan S2, Food Wars S2 and more. So I still think 2016 has potential to be a great year!

I've also started watching Prince of Stride: Alternative, Divine Gate and Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut. Prince of Stride is a pretty good sports anime with great animation (as expected of Madhouse), whilst Divine Gate is alright, with interesting character backstories, but the CGI fight animation can be slightly off-putting - some may like it though, I just felt that normal art would be better. Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut is the usual generic harem light novel adaptation, which I initially thought had an interesting concept, but failed to deliver, so I don't know if I'll continue this one :/.

This is a fairly comprehensive list of anime airing this season: http://anichart.net/winter

It's full of moe and light novel crap I don't care about.

I honestly haven't really watched much this season. Most of the things I'm watching are either sequels or things from the last season. I did hear that Erased is pretty good. I also watched Dagashi Kashi... It's weird... but I like it...

I did hear that Erased is pretty good. I also watched Dagashi Kashi... It's weird... but I like it...

Yeah, in my opinion too Erased is amazing. The portrayal of suspense and the atmosphere created is really good and I'd highly recommend you give it a go. And Dagashi Kashi being so weird is part of the reason why I like it xD.

Holy Fishsticks! I just watched Erased and it was amazing! I'm completely hooked! Bad thing is I want to read the manga but don't wanna be spoiled. :(
O dilemmas...

Reactions: DeathDragon
Started Musaigen no Phantom World today and I was just about to post on your profile (@DeathDragon) that you might like it :p

I haven't checked out the other anime yet, but I'll most likely wait until more episodes are out before I begin them. Originally that's what I did with all the new anime after I started seeing the release of their first episode, but I decided to give Musaigen no Phantom World a shot since it looked interesting and how three episodes were already available for it.

Started Musaigen no Phantom World today and I was just about to post on your profile (@DeathDragon) that you might like it :p

Hehe :p I think it's alright, the animation really is gorgeous and as expected of KyoAni, but I have to say that the lack of any real plot in it is what puts it down for me. They are doing a good job of developing characters though I guess, and I hope they'll bring in plot elements soon.

Just watched the third episode of Erased, can't wait for the next one! So far it's been really good, haven't noticed anything that I didn't like so far c: I think I have a thing for time travel/parallel universes stuff which probably explains why I like this series so much :p
The other shows didn't really pique my interest, from what I've seen most of them seemed like your stereotypical light novel adaptations with moe blobs and tsunderes >_<

Reactions: Marc and DeathDragon
Erased is amazing, my definite favorite this season - this even has potential to be anime of the year material! I'm really hoping it continues being this good.

I've also started watching Dimension W, which is quite good in my opinion, with an interesting concept, good animation and a nice cast. I also just started Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, which is pretty amazing too - it is similar to SAO and Log Horizon in that our main crew end up in a world seemingly of a game, but in Grimgar this strange occurrence is still in the dark, as the cast don't know why or how this all happened. For starters the portrayal of being in such a world where life depends on killing is, in my opinion, amazingly well done, much better than in SAO where people grew used to living in such a world seemingly too quickly. There isn't your generic OP MC guy either - in fact the entire cast is surprisingly realistic, they make mistakes and they have a variety of interesting personalities. The animation is of a high quality and the art style for the scenery is unique but still very nice in it's own way, and although some might not like it, I find it great. I've got high hopes for Grimgar! :p

Reactions: blinboy
God damn it. I hate myself...

So Erased was so good for me that I couldnt hold back and spoiled myself by reading what was translated in the manga.

*Sigh* I hate myself...

I'm a wimpy weeaboo so I have no clue which anime will be releasing/continuing

With that said, however, I do think Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a Dungeon? is coming out with a Season 2 this year, so I'm exited for that! :woot:

Reactions: blinboy
I also just started Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, which is pretty amazing too
Found out about this anime yesterday randomly so I decided to give it a shot. I love it so far <3

I've also been watching :

Boku dake ga Inai Machi - likely to be one of my next favorite anime :D
Season 2 of Gate - first one was impressive so why not? >.<)/
Durarara!!x2 Ketsu - just saw the first episode but that was when other episodes weren't out yet D:
Divine Gate - So far it's decent ;~;

Paused Musaigen no Phantom World for a while because I'm waiting for a bit more episodes to come out for it. I would have preferred if the anime would have had a solid story to it instead of just fighting phantoms :/

I'll most likely check out Ajin and Dimension W soon ^^

Reactions: Robbie, Anime-Tem and DeathDragon
Hey Marc i've been thinking of watching Boku dake ga Inai Machi for a while now could you give me some basic details? A second season of Gate? Jeez the first season was part of the 2015 fall season of anime though.

ERASED, Boke Dake ga Inai Machi... Now that it's finished, it's up there as one of my favorite anime of all time. Amazing. :eek:

I've not been keeping up with most of the others aside from Grimgar, Fairy Tail Zero, Konosuba and Haikyuu S2 - the others seem to have lost my interest along the way, although I may catch up with some of them if I get the time. ERASED definitely takes the spot as my favorite anime this season, whilst Grimgar and Konosuba were very good themselves, both for different reasons xD. Haikyuu S2 was incredibly intense in the last episode (I think there's one more..?) and Fairy Tail Zero was an alright adaptation of the manga, although some of the filler padding I felt was unnecessary. Overall this was a very good season and some of its' anime have been amazing, especially ERASED which I feel is already a great contender for anime of the year!

Now to see how the next three seasons of anime this year go... With a lot of interesting stuff coming in Summer and Fall, as well as Shingeki no Kyojin S2, Food Wars S2, Haikyuu S3 (CONFIRMED FOR FALL!!), Konosuba 2... This years gonna be a good year!

Reactions: Marc
Erased was definitely the highlight of the season for me. I couldn't handle it and even read the manga. Although it deviated and took its own take on how to adapt the material, I have to say that I really enjoyed it. At first, I thought it was somewhat disappointing that it missed a lot of details from the manga but ultimately, it was bound to happen since it was only 12 episodes and it did a pretty good job.

I recently picked up shouwa genroku something something and despite me not knowing the name of the series, it was actually pretty engaging. I look forward to finishing it on top of all my school work.

I watched akagami and have to say I am satisfied because my favorite arc was animated well. I love you Bones.

I have KonoSuba and Grimgar on hold but I hope those will be good.

Haikyuu will finish tomorrow (when i write this) to wrap it up. That game was super intense and I look forward to watching the third season.

Durarara will also end tomorrow and I have to say, I'm glad I stuck through and I hope this ends with a bang.

Winter was kind of duller than the other seasons for me but certain shows brought it up to make something I looked forward to every week. It was fun and enjoyable and I hope to see more great stuff for the Spring Season! Cheers!

Bumping this to say that I started watching Erased and it's truly awesome. I watched the first 3 episodes in a row and I alreasy want to watch more!

I really like the plot and the setting, the characters are believable and the subjects/themes are interesting.

Reactions: DeathDragon, EpicR and Marc
Twin Star Exorcists is an awesome anime to watch! I highly suggest it.

Back