Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World confirmed for the Nintendo Switch

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World has been confirmed to be the latest game in the franchise and it's coming to the Nintendo Switch console. People from the old team will be working on this new title, such as the Ryuichi Nishizawa as the director, Shinichi Sakamoto as the sound composer, Maki Ozora as a character designer, and Takanori Kurihara as the creative manager.

Some details about the game, thanks to IGN:
  • Stars Asha, the protagonist of 1994’s Wonder Boy IV
  • Assisted by her flying, blue Pepelogoo (a creature also originally from Wonder Boy IV)
  • Together the two of them must set off to save the world
  • Unknown what the threat is
  • This will be the first game in the history of the series to be fully voiced
  • Announcement describes Asha and other characters as “lively and talkative”
Gameplay will be shown during Gamescom Awesome Indies Showcase on August 29 at 10 AM PT / 1 PM ET.

The game is set to launch in early 2021.

What are your thoughts?

I mean, I haven't played a Wonder Boy game, but I bet that there's a ton of improvements in this entry, especially since the Wonder Boy franchise took a long hiatus until 2016 (that's 22 years I think!)
Looking at the Wonder Boy franchise, it looks like the new game will be an RPG like the latest entries and like Wonder Boy IV, where Asha comes from.

Anyway, a fully voiced game sounds like a lot of effort, and I hope the writing and voice acting end up being good. I'll definitely give the series a go after I finish all the other games in my "To Play" list hahaha.

I'll also give the Gamescom Awesome Indies Showcase a watch hopefully.

Back