Worst Book you have ever read?

• Thread starter 4362
  • Start date

Yaaaaaaaadooooooooooon
Towns Folk
So what is the worst Book you have ever read?
Please dont say "Twilight" or "50SOG",these already are being called that everywhere.
I would like to hear about some bad books Ive never heard of to eventually read them for my amusment.
I also would also ask you to exclude biographies,considering these usually are a quite boring read.

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.
All of Dan Brown's novels are pretty pathetic, self-validating and overly formulaic (they're all the same characters with different names), but this was the only one I was unable to finish - granted, I was extremely bored when I read the others. I skipped to the last few pages and the ending made me glad I didn't read the whole thing. I dunno why it took him six years to write it when it's no different from any of his other books. You could create a Dan Brown Story Generator they're so predictable.

Well I'd say Invisible by James Patterson overall.

The chapters there were short and disjointed, or as marketing would say "fast-paced and varied." The main character has had everything wrong happen to her- the female hard-case detective lost a little sister to the current villain, and is being sexually stalked by her chief. (She may also have obsession issues!) She almost married a partner, but ran off cold-feet, but now wants him back, but he gets kinda close again...

The villain himself, though a tired idea of an omnipresent stalker, deteriorates still into this man-child who loves to quote nursery rhymes. (Wonder how he got to be so clever.) The gimmick of hearing an audio-tape from him once every other chapter fades away, and it's more like he's self-narrating without a point, rather than originally eluding to one. (Seriously, why are you doing this again?)

Admittedly I haven't read all of it out of frustration that it's not really going anywhere, and will not forseeably finish it, so my opinion is bleh.

I'm currently reading the Great Gatsby in school, and I don't really like it. Not one of the characters are likable so I don't really care what happens, and I just get upset that Daisy is still with Tom, it just really doesn't make any sense to me. (We just finished chapter 4, so please no spoilers). I also read The Sun Also Rises over the summer, and I pretty much had the same feelings for that book. Also we read Lord of the Flies last year and I didn't like that much either. I just found it boring and not intriguing. It's not I don't hate all books though, we did Frankenstein that year as well, which I liked.

I'm currently reading the Great Gatsby in school, and I don't really like it. Not one of the characters are likable so I don't really care what happens, and I just get upset that Daisy is still with Tom, it just really doesn't make any sense to me. (We just finished chapter 4, so please no spoilers). I also read The Sun Also Rises over the summer, and I pretty much had the same feelings for that book. Also we read Lord of the Flies last year and I didn't like that much either. I just found it boring and not intriguing. It's not I don't hate all books though, we did Frankenstein that year as well, which I liked.
Great Gatsby? Lord of the Flies?
Friend, you can say they're boring all you want, but they're hardly the worst books ever. Have some literary open-minded-ness.

Now let me see. The worst book I ever read in a series was Ravnica III: Dissension, by Corey J. Hedron. (Foot note, the first two were great, real accurate to MtG Ravnica card-colors and cultures. But this was one of the worst closing stories to put on an MtG story so far.) (Spoilers ahead, duh. Also, this is a lot to do with preference, but based on literary flow and reasoning of characters.)

The three last guilds to be released in the TCG expansions, and written down in the franchise, were grossly underrepresented unlike those of the first two. Each one was badly covered and left empty.
I also have a list of things I felt the author did wrong.
  • The Rakdos had a gimmicky tie-in to Jarad's origin. That ending was disappointing for the Golgari Lich-lord.
  • Speaking of which, Jarad and Fonn had a son, named him Myzcil Zunich after Fonn's dead Boros daddy, (who ought not be given such honor based on the first book.) and rose him up 50% Green-White 50% Green-Black. That Fonn and Jarad even wedded to begin with was a little out there. I could've accepted that alone, but then there were three, and he's a mama's boy who the Demon Rakdos put on his shoulder. I didn't buy that.
  • Evern Capobar is a waste of line-space. All he does is grab some kinda dragon-node fluid, hand it over to the villains, tell everyone at the Azorius courts, and commit suicide under a nephilim's foot. That's all I'll say about him.
  • Kos' strong personality was as ephimeral as his ghost was. It was almost like symbolism - Kos was drug out into one last adventure, same as the author was drug out into writing one last book. Neither of them had the spirit to go on or look pretty.
  • The Simic villain was too much like the Izzet villain, and way too out there for my taste. Svogthir's return was a surprise at first, but then he became a comedic narration of current events. Displeasing.
  • The author brought back a Boros character, Vaulsav, who we assumed was a casualty in the first book. Her participation to the story might not have been so bad, but the error behind her resurrection - without a given reason besides "she wasn't dead after all." - got in the way of me enjoying it.
  • Tesya and Crix had little to nothing to do with the overall flow of the book. I really liked them in Guildpact, and it was a shame they were only practically camoes.
All said, the first two books in the series were still pretty awesome. I'll just block out reading the last one.

The book this movie is based off of, Watership Down; it's such a boring read, but that said, its animation from 58 years later is absolutely wonderful.

Also, I see mention of the the Great Gatsby. I disliked that one quite a lot as well, mostly for being boring... But for a lot of other reasons, too.​

Back