Would a Smash Bros. RPG work?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
We've seen a Mario & Luigi RPG before, so what says a Smash Bros. RPG wouldn't work?

How do you feel it'll play out as and what would you like to see?
Would you like Nintendo to make a Smash Bros. RPG for the Nintendo Switch?

I mean, I can imagine it being quite similar to Kingdom Hearts, so I don't see why not. It's not a new concept.

• Informative
Reactions: Jisenku
I wouldn't mind seeing something like that honestly, could create some interesting mechanics.

We've seen a Mario & Luigi RPG before, so what says a Smash Bros. RPG wouldn't work?
¿and why one would make the other more likely?

if only, it could see it work as a gacha rpg,

Smash Bros. fills the gap Nintendo had in lacking a 1st party fighting game. There is already a massive amount of variety in Nintendo RPGs. Fighting games? We got Joy Mech Fight... Pokken if you count it. Combining characters from multiple RPGs together doesn't mesh unless it would have unified stats and removing features from the games they are from. If you added those features then it would be a beeg game. If it did work then I'd imagine they'd all have a unified villain like Brawl but with a map like World of Light.

How about a Smash Puzzle game? Something other than Puzzle League or Tetris or Dr. Mario?

Hero has SORTA rpg mechanics

This reminds me of the old Smashing Fantasy Brawl Machinima from way back on YouTube. It could probably work in theory, but would require a lot restrictions placed onto gameplay itself. AI seems already possible to

Hero has SORTA rpg mechanics
rpg mechanics arent a simple "limited spells bar",rpg mechanics are about becoming stronger by defeating enemies

rpg mechanics arent a simple "limited spells bar",rpg mechanics are about becoming stronger by defeating enemies
Really strong emphasis on the "SORTA" :D

Super Smash Brothers Brawl had a really fun and cool story mode that was kinda similar to an RPG! i thought it was really fun all the characters getting together and meeting up to defeat the bad guys some having cool and cute interactions with each other. despite it still being smash bros i really liked the story that was going on in Smash bros brawl

As an Action-RPG series, possibly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DidntKnowIWantedThat :eyes: :eyes:

I imagine it would be perfect to have different "classes"/"jobs" for different characters. So maybe a character like Bowser could fill in the role of a Tank while someone like Ness could be a ranged magic damage dealer.

Reactions: Deepak
You know this is something that would only work if the fighting engine was remade/revamped to fit this sort of thing. Personally, if you are talking about the current engine, and the way that launching is set it, no way in hecc would this work, but if you could rework the engine to fit this genre, then this just might work. The number of characters that they have to implement it might be a bit of a struggle, and the fact that this shouldn't even be called a Smash Bros. RPG. The affiliation would just confuse people unless if they just copy and pasted that engine, slapped some stupid storylines and some cool levels to it, and then called it a separate game.

I mean - what if the battles were entered into like the Tales series. That does not feel too dissimilar to a smash bros. match to me. You could have optional co-op like in Tales and fight mobs the way that you have a smash bros. match. Honestly I feel like the Tales battle system is already pretty close to this if you think about it objectively. I would definitely enjoy playing that.

The World of Light sort of has the framework of an RPG. It definitely allows you to see how you could navigate a world much like you do in any RPG, while having battles that stay within the smash bros. playstyle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jisenku
I'd like to see them try; it could be fun.

Would they keep the launching feature? Or switch to HP? Would stages still be relevant?

Back