Would You Put Someone Down if They Are in Intense Pain?

• Thread starter Aura Knight
  • Start date
Aura Knight

Aura Knight

Spirit of the West
Towns Folk
This has been something of a discussion that has been going around in some of my classes and I want to see what you think.

I'm asking if you would put someone who is in intense pain or is asking to be killed down to relieve them of their pain. For example if they get seriously hurt and are in a lot of pain, even while being in treatment and can't do anything about it, something to that effect. You could be the doctor or a peer in whatever you would be in the situation.

It wouldn't be a question if you'd help them commit suicide or not, but a question if you would get them out of their pain.

This practice is often seen in pets that have gotten injured or are sick ("A three-legged puppy is not a happy puppy..."), not because the owners are mean or that they don't care about their pets anymore, but because it would end the pain and suffering faster. This question is a lot like that, but instead of a pet it would be a person who wants to be put down.

Would or wouldn't you?

I I I don’t even know what to say to that I would like to keep them alive as long as they could but if it was really bad like being having a huge burn all around they’re body and it looked like it hurt like the worlds ending than maybe but other than that I would try and keep them alive

Reactions: Aura Knight
Pain is temporary, death is forever.

So no, I wouldn’t do it. I wouldn’t kill them. I don’t think that’s even legal (I feel like I remember a few cases of people going to jail for assisted suicide). I think this is fairly ridiculous, how can someone be so cruel as to do this? Besides better to be a human dissatisfied then a pig satisfied, and better to be socrates dissasified then a fool satisfied. Same idea here, there are less dramatic things that can be done in this situation then murder

Reactions: AricAttack
I would use pain killers but I would also try to set their mind off the pain itself so tell them a story, sing them a song, play a game with them or take them to an amusement park or something like that. I might even go as far as give them a beverage if it doesn't mess with medication. Honestly though if they want to die after that so be it. I wouldn't have any hard feelings even though I doubt the pain would be so severe that they would still feel it after Painkillers and not die unless a limb was broken.

Reactions: Duffy
I wasn’t trying to sound bad or anything if anyone thought I was

Honestly i believe it depends. I am not qualified to do anything medical. And even if i was asked to i would still get in trouble for killing a person. But let's say i won't and i have knowledge of how to do that, i say yes for most situations.

In the case of severe burn victims, it might be in their best interest to die peacefully rather than of an infection or something. Or maybe they'd rather not go through the pain of the healing process. Same with other severely sick people who are incurable and the process to get into remission is severely difficult and painful.

Or someone who loses something that makes them feel empty and like they can 't live without. For example a painter who goes blind and loses their sense of purpose. A musician who loses their voice or hearing. In my opinion they should wait a couple months and be told after maybe six months they still would prefer to go. Then that is their choice.

I would first want to have medical knowledge, enough to know he was going to die anyway. I still don’t know if I would be able to do it, maybe in certain situations, like some old guy asking me to pull the plug on his life support, i could do that because it would be less tramautic then actually being the cause of death. The medical treatment was just slowing down his death, and now he decided he was done.

Reactions: Rosey
I wouldn't do it because I think it's wrong. They have the right to live their last moments and make the most of them. Even if they requested it, I would decline. It's a sad feeling knowing that they will eventually pass, But that should be something that happens naturally, regardless of how much pain they're in. Obviously I'd feel awful that they're having to endure all of it, But I'd encourage them to focus their attention on other aspects of life if possible (More positive things, such as achievements/highlights, If they're willing to share that information).

Reactions: Samster
Back