Would you recommend Dragon Ball Z Kai? Is it better than regular dubs/remasters?

• Thread starter Pandaxclone2
  • Start date
Pandaxclone2

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Towns Folk
With Funimation airing their Final Chapters dub (Buu Saga) on January 8th and the next episode coming in a day, I would like to ask everyone's thoughts on Kai and whether or not you believe it's better or worse than Z. Would you recommend Kai to someone who is interested in watching Dragon Ball but doesn't know which version to watch?

Obviously each sub, dub and remaster version have their ups and downs; some people prefer one voice casting over another even if it's a single character, if the filler bogged the anime down or not (and whether you believe Kai Buu Saga is poorly filtered of filler or not), which one has the best musical score, which dubbing company did better, whether DVD/Blu-ray is better over TV Show airings, etc.

For me, anime and how best to watch it is usually a case-to-case basis; having the anime follow the manga as close as it can is usually ideal, but if there's no option like say Sword Art Online then I'm not fussy about it. Fullmetal Alchemist, both 2003 and Brotherhood are a good example of this. In this situation I would recommend Brotherhood first as it follows through with the manga's plot. Then if the person felt like it I would suggest also watching 2003 afterwards since it's interesting watching how far it follows the plot before it splits off and becomes its own story from that point onward.

Thus in terms of the Dragon Ball franchise, I would choose Kai first over Z (dub of course) because of its more streamlined pacing and re-translated lines to be more in line with the Japanese lines, then watch Z. No easy feat since there are several dubs and remasters of the show done, not to mention the filler but at the same time I feel some of the early filler which pertains to Dragon Ball era characters is nice, giving some sort of closure as to where they are now.

In your opinion where do you think Funimation Kai's ups and downs show? Both dub and sub versions can be talked about of course, although Buu Saga's dub has yet to finish airing so discussion on that side of things will have to wait. Discuss below.

Back