Would you want an Open World Pokémon game?

• Thread starter Mizunil
  • Start date
Mizunil

Mizunil

Born at a young age
Towns Folk
Would you ever want Pokémon to try and create an open-world game, or would you rather they stick to the classic formula?

I think an open world Pokémon game would be difficult to execute, but not impossible. Firstly, I’m thinking that each gyms difficulty depends on how many badges you have. So if you have 2 badges, then the next gym you go to will have around level 20-30s (not accurate numbers). Each gym would have specific events before it, maybe a certain number of gym completions are needed to activate a story progression area on the map?

I am a little confused on how the story would work exactly, but again it’s possible. I don’t think Pokémon would go in this direction though, in the latest games they showed how gym leader ranks were chosen (and it seems like more work). But it’s still fun to think about.

What are your thoughts, would you like to have an open world game?

Reactions: Deepak
Would you ever want Pokémon to try and create an open-world game, or would you rather they stick to the classic formula?

I think an open world Pokémon game would be difficult to execute, but not impossible. Firstly, I’m thinking that each gyms difficulty depends on how many badges you have. So if you have 2 badges, then the next gym you go to will have around level 20-30s (not accurate numbers). Each gym would have specific events before it, maybe a certain number of gym completions are needed to activate a story progression area on the map?

I am a little confused on how the story would work exactly, but again it’s possible. I don’t think Pokémon would go in this direction though, in the latest games they showed how gym leader ranks were chosen (and it seems like more work). But it’s still fun to think about.

What are your thoughts, would you like to have an open world game?
Actually there have been may leaks pointing towards this exact thing. Like many well known leakers have said it. There were even some videos on twitter. It's supposedly called Pokemon: Legend of Arceus and it seems a lot like BOTW. And it's happening in sinnoh with starters from 3 different gens. This was made by a reputable leaker but it could just be fake. Let's see.

Reactions: Mizunil
Of course. Everything is better with open world.

Actually there have been may leaks pointing towards this exact thing. Like many well known leakers have said it. There were even some videos on twitter. It's supposedly called Pokemon: Legend of Arceus and it seems a lot like BOTW. And it's happening in sinnoh with starters from 3 different gens. This was made by a reputable leaker but it could just be fake. Let's see.

Although this sounds kinda fake, I'd love for it to be true... is this supposed to be akin to a main series game (trainers and RPG-style) or more similar to an action RPG kind of thing? The latter would easily triumph all my expectations for this Direct.

Legends: Arceus looks kinda boring, honestly. Like 99% of the nothingness that made up BotW. I'd much prefer it if the game had more vibrant aesthetics, instead of making it look like you just woke up in a post-apocalyptic world - this style really doesn't suit Pokemon at all.

And how does catching/battles work? You can throw a Pokeball from a little while away and seemingly catch Pokemon that easily, so what's the point of battles? This all seems boring in every aspect. Really hope I'm wrong, but I fear I'm not.

Legends Arceus is my way of getting into Pokemon again. Something familiar. Something more new than remakes. Something like the Safari Zone combined with combat if you need it. I know Let's Go wasn't compatible with the mainline games totally so I hope this one is different in that aspect. Open world Pokemon allow me to take my time and think about the journey and less about the story I've known for every Pokemon game that is essentially the same. I can see Pokemon in the wild instead of random encounters so I can choose my team. What I'd like with it is the options of an MMORPG but I don't think the Switch can handle it. Maybe some new moves and different stats. Other than that I have high hopes for a unique experience.

Reactions: Deepak and Mizunil
Yes, and I really hope they make one that comes out in late 2022.

• Funny
I did not expect Legends of Arceus to be announced a few hours afters I made this :eyes:

Great timing :p I don't necessarily want an open world (though it does look pretty good), I just hoped for a big change to the now-mundane Pokémon formula, and this is a big step in the right direction.

i fand open world games quite relaxing to play.
pokemon open world games sound like they would be easy to get into.
even people who are not too into the games could camly get into at least one of them.
the way you can explore and see more of the nearby area with more freedom is welcome.
although character sprites especially when in bulk and while they move are somewhat pixlated and somewhat blurry , the game has its flaws but the open world types of games for pokemon are fun to play if given a chance.
i would enjoy them if i got the chance to play any of the games that come out like that in the future.

Back