XB1 vs. Wii U specs

• Thread starter Nuke
  • Start date
Nuke

Nuke

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
http://kotaku.com/activision-confirms-call-of-duty-ghosts-at-lower-resol-1455181795
http://ekunia.com/showthread.php?tid=4159 (This is from my forum.)

While the Wii U probably doesn't outperform the PS4 and likely will not ever outperform it, I think that the Wii U may match -- or even outperform -- the XB1.

Let's see where and how this may be the case.

1. The Wii U has a Solid-State Drive, thus yielding superior performance with a higher cost per gigabyte. The Xbox One has a 1TB hard drive.

--I don't think the Wii U has TRIM support to fully utilize SSD performance boosts, yet.

2. The Wii U has a PowerPC tri-core CPU, thus yielding superior per-core performance over the XB1's octo-core netbook x86 setup. (No joke; Jaguar is a netbook-oriented APU.)

--This part obviously isn't going to outperform the XB1, but may come close.

3. The Wii U has a custom GPU. That's a lot more than it sounds. The XB1 probably has a Radeon 7770 GHz Edition GPU, which is low-end. The Wii U "Latte" GPU has some advantages. I'd suspect it has a more specialized VLIW architecture, which is better for graphics workloads but not as effective with GPGPU as RISC (Graphics Core Next / GCN, as used in 7000-series AMD GPUs). Therefore, while my personal preference would be RISC/GCN (since I love GPGPU), it's not really a bad choice at all to do VLIW.

4. The Wii U uses a microkernel, which may be pretty bad for performance, but when you consider the XB1 (seemingly) has a GUI hypervisor which must open each individual application on the system within a newly-created virtual machine instance, it's not too bad.

5. The Wii U has a dedicated chip to make sure its CPU and GPU don't have resources wasted on OS tasks, allowing devs 100% of system compute resources. Microsoft clearly did nothing of the sort on the XB1, which expends 10% of its GPU resources alone on OS tasks.

Some of this will require some software updating on Nintendo's part.

I believe that this bold prediction is justified. In fact, it's safe to say that if the Wii U doesn't match the XB1, it'll come close or at least surpass it in an aspect.

Reactions: Reece
So Wii U hardware isn't too bad at all...
It's just learn to use the architecture :p

So Wii U hardware isn't too bad at all...
It's just learn to use the architecture :p
Pretty much, yes, lol.

Also, Batman: Arkham City was apparently native 1080p on Wii U, lol.

Back