Xenoblade Chronicles 3D Looks Gross!!

• Thread starter RichGamerton
  • Start date
RichGamerton

RichGamerton

Run Home To Mama Now
Towns Folk
Hey guys. As we know now, Xenoblade Chronicles will be ported to the New Nintendo 3DS. Pretty good, right? Anyway, If you have played the Wii version or watched footage of it, you would know that it isn't the prettiest game. Unlike Final Fantasy which gives it's models a beautifully crafted look, XC figures look like coloring and textures were cheaply pasted on. It's a good game and all ( One of my favorites) But that's the truth of it.

Anyway, as I said before, it is being ported to the NN3DS. It is also supposed to utilize all of the features of the handheld. Thus, it will definitely make use the enhanced 3D effect. But, what good is the 3D effect if you have icky graphics? I saw a trailer for the NN3DS port and Shulk's eyes where still blurred. I know the game is massive and porting it is a great feat within itself, but I think the game could use a good clean up. Not the whole environments, but the character models. Shulk's Model in Super Smash Bros. 4 looked great. Why not add that work to his respective game. Thanks for reading this. I want to know what you guys think of this as well as your thoughts on the game itself. Until next time!

Reactions: Knight
I would probably but xenoblade but not for the 3d, I never use that. I would just buy it because of the gameplay and how long it is. Personally, I think nintendo is focusing too much on the 3d aspect. Nobody know in real life really uses the 3d all that much

I would probably but xenoblade but not for the 3d, I never use that. I would just buy it because of the gameplay and how long it is. Personally, I think nintendo is focusing too much on the 3d aspect. Nobody know in real life really uses the 3d all that much
Perhaps, but remember, the 3D effect is improved this time around. Not to mention that the game is full of cutscenes. May people will be tempted to watch them in the 3D. Considering that the game is over 4 years old, a graphic improvement would be natural, right? Don't get me wrong. Gameplay is more important than graphics, but I still want a good looking game every now and then.

Reactions: Knight Rain
Agreed. So much this. I agree that the game is really good storyline and fun-wise, but the models and textures just make it hard to not gawk at them. I mean, sure the game's 4 years old and full of cutscenes, but why not make the game take up a bit more space and add better textures? There was no reason to not bring this to the regular 3DS. They massively buffed textures and polygons in OoT and MM 3D , so why not XC? Have you even seen how good Resident Evil:Reveltions looks? It's on par with the Xbox 360/PS3 with its lighting and anti-aliasing.

Reactions: Knight and RichGamerton
="AliTheAce, post: 176268, member: 532"]Agreed. So much this. I agree that the game is really good storyline and fun-wise, but the models and textures just make it hard to not gawk at them. I mean, sure the game's 4 years old and full of cutscenes, but why not make the game take up a bit more space and add better textures? There was no reason to not bring this to the regular 3DS. They massively buffed textures and polygons in OoT and MM 3D , so why not XC? Have you even seen how good Resident Evil:Reveltions looks? It's on par with the Xbox 360/PS3 with its lighting and anti-aliasing.

So true. That's why I find it off putting that the graphics aren't getting an update. Like you said, games like RE:R look stunning, even on the original 3DS. It seems lazy not to put that beauty into a game that is supposedly coming to "Nintendo's Next Gen handheld"

Reactions: 532
I think the size on the environment has a lot to do with this. since it is an open world and much has to be loaded at the same time, they sort of have to cut somewhere at one point, and it seems like it was in texture resolution...

Reactions: Knight
It doesn't look so bad. Actually to me it looks really good, but I've always played on PS2 and handhelds and never owned a seventh or eighth gen console so maybe my standards are low. I don't mind its visuals, they're more than serviceable for me.

Reactions: 2205
I wasn't interested in that game so I only watched a trailer after reading this, and I kind of agree it's ridiculous.

It doesn't look so bad. Actually to me it looks really good, but I've always played on PS2 and handhelds and never owned a seventh or eighth gen console so maybe my standards are low. I don't mind its visuals, they're more than serviceable for me.
It's true that a game should not be judged only for its graphics. And the same applies for consoles.
BUT when you make a New console with New in its name, saying "it's an upgrade, it's more powerful, it's better, it will have exclusives", and when you make an exclusive game saying "this won't run on the old console, it can't handle the graphics", at least give that game good graphics...

Reactions: 18
BUT when you make a New console with New in its name, saying "it's an upgrade, it's more powerful, it's better, it will have exclusives", and when you make an exclusive game saying "this won't run on the old console, it can't handle the graphics", at least give that game good graphics...
I was certain from the beginning that making games like Xenoblade exclusive to the N3DS was a move to encourage people to buy the N3DS early, without any real reason like graphics. Secretly I'm hoping that plan doesn't work.

Reactions: Hayleia
Yeah, I hope too. Or at least, I hope exclusive games will always be games that I don't want, like Xenoblade.

Hey guys. As we know now, Xenoblade Chronicles will be ported to the New Nintendo 3DS. Pretty good, right? Anyway, If you have played the Wii version or watched footage of it, you would know that it isn't the prettiest game. Unlike Final Fantasy which gives it's models a beautifully crafted look, XC figures look like coloring and textures were cheaply pasted on. It's a good game and all ( One of my favorites) But that's the truth of it.

Anyway, as I said before, it is being ported to the NN3DS. It is also supposed to utilize all of the features of the handheld. Thus, it will definitely make use the enhanced 3D effect. But, what good is the 3D effect if you have icky graphics? I saw a trailer for the NN3DS port and Shulk's eyes where still blurred. I know the game is massive and porting it is a great feat within itself, but I think the game could use a good clean up. Not the whole environments, but the character models. Shulk's Model in Super Smash Bros. 4 looked great. Why not add that work to his respective game. Thanks for reading this. I want to know what you guys think of this as well as your thoughts on the game itself. Until next time!

Yep. (First note: Don't throw me the "underpowered" thing, because I have proof about the Wii and the N3DS' hardware capabilities, so, the N3DS have no excuse!)

The Wii version looked more polished and less aliased than the 3DS port. I mean, just compare the grass in the Gaur Plains, and you'll notice it obviously. See how the textures change from the Wii ? See those horrible black lines ? Well, black lines are aliasing, and the textures are... no, just downgraded to meh.

I wonder why the studio in charge of the port did something this terrible. Don't get me wrong, I love Xenoblade, but this version is ugly. Honestly, as @Spinnerweb said, I think it's just a "selling point" to make people go for the N3DS (maybe not in Europe since there has been absolutely no marketing efforts about it), but I think of it more as a repelling point.

So, yes, I think that if you want to play the game, get it on the Wii (if you can find a cheap console and a cheap copy, that is!), or wait for a potential Wii VC release.

And yes, honestly, there was possibilities to do way more. If Monolith managed to make it damn impressive on the Wii, a "poor" 800MHz processor, then, the studio in charge of this have no excuse since they're working on a quad-core 268MHz processor (which means the console can execute 4x268 [1072] millions of instructions per second, so, way more than the Wii!)

PS: Note that I'm not a "Anti-Aliasing x16 with Ultra 1080P 60FPS graphics or riot!" guy.
But, seriously, here, we can notice the difference.

Reactions: RichGamerton, 18 and Knight
As far as I can tell, what was seen in those trailers was from a New 3DS screen. I would assume that is expanded to cater to the size of whatever device you view the trailer on, meaning the quality of the video probably drops.

So it'll look much better when you're looking at the game on the device that was intended for it, aka the New 3DS.

Reactions: RichGamerton
While I don't intend on purchasing an N3DS solely for the purpose of Xenoblade, and I don't actually plan on purchasing an N3DS in general, but the graphics definitely will look prettier than the Wii's, so it's worth it for diehard fans of Xenoblade. It was a great game, but I won't be purchasing another 3DS just to play it on the go with better graphics.

Great to see this thread getting replies. I love ready others people opinions on this. I thought I was the only one concerned with the graphics of Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

I thought the game was great when i checked it out on the e shop plus i didn't know who was shulk in the smash bros demo and as i watched some videos of smash bros fighting but i see he is in the game,sad though that its for the new 3ds alone and i can't download it from the e shop.

At first I kinda disagreed to some of your statements . But after seeing some videos of the game for the Wii . It really could have been better for the 3ds like the graphics as you mentioned . I hope that the New 3ds won't get as much exclusives because that is kinda sad for the people with the 3ds and especially the 3ds XL regular . I hope also that they might tweak up that 3ds game so maybe it will work out smoother than what I see :)

Back