SwSh You do not need an EXP Share in Pokemon Sword/Shield

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
EXP Share was originally an item you'd put on a single Pokemon so that it gets EXP even if it didn't enter battle. I remember in a sort of recent Pokemon game I played, once you obtained it, it gave EXP to all Pokemon in the party.

In Sword/Shield, Game Freak has "done away" with the EXP Share. Instead, all Pokemon gain EXP after winning a battle.

Of course, this will make the game A LOT easier.

How do you feel about this?

Not a good sign. At least in the previous games you could turn it off. Although it is nice to not have to grind, I don't like how easy it is to steamroll through the game now, not to mention the addition of pokemon jobs also giving you another easy way to get xp. I hope they allow you to disable it or add a hard mode to the game where everyone uses 6 pokemon stall teams

There was an EXP. All in various titles before to serve the purpose of training all 6 Pokémon besides the one in the front. Now that means there is no option. So this might make EV training harder depending on the alternative. The game is a lot easier unless you only want your Fire type to have the absurdly high levels and mow through everyone like every other game before this one. I hope this leads to more teams build around synergy. Other than that there still is challenge if this game is anything like Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon.

I dunno much about the Pokemon series, but I do know that messing with a system this aged can upset people a lot, especially removing options. Why not just make the thing optional like with previous games? This was a problem in the Let's Go games too I think, but now it's making it's way into the mainstream games.

My point is, removing extra options is almost never a good thing, if not pointless.

It's quite worrying how much each newer Pokemon game holds your hand more and more. It's quite obvious that the singleplayer aspect of this is solely catering to younger audiences, despite the fact that a large portion of their players are teen/young adults. This is why I'm skipping Pokemon games now :/

*SCREECHING INTERNALLY*

I love this idea! ~However~, I still want a hard mode or something, if the game is going to hold your hand. Something like difficulty levels, where you have to complete harder modes for better endings

I've been playing Pokemon games since it was first released on GameBoy from Pokemon Red & Blue. I was in my late teens then. I'm now in my late 30's. At least they can make it more of a challenge, & add every single Pokemon in the game.

EXP Share was originally an item you'd put on a single Pokemon so that it gets EXP even if it didn't enter battle. I remember in a sort of recent Pokemon game I played, once you obtained it, it gave EXP to all Pokemon in the party.

In Sword/Shield, Game Freak has "done away" with the EXP Share. Instead, all Pokemon gain EXP after winning a battle.

Of course, this will make the game A LOT easier.

How do you feel about this?
I prefer it this way it was so annoying leveling up pokemon when u didn’t have more than one experience share. I just didn’t have the patience for it. Regardless tho I’m looking foward to the game

Reactions: Jisenku and GameTech
As nice as it is to not have to go find multiple xp shares, it's removing extra choice, and removing extra difficulty options and that's never a good thing.

Like Alex said, pokemon is getting more and more hand-holdy and imo more childish, even though actually a lot of players have grown up with the series and are older then what the games seems to be aimed at now. Would be nice if they kept in extra difficulty things, it's why people ended up making nuzlocke challenges and all sorts because the base games are too easy.

Back