You will be able to use multiple save files on Pokemon Switch

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
This might be the first ever mainline Pokemon game where you use multiple save files. It might not be something in the game itself, but since the Nintendo Switch separates save files on a profile to profile basis, you should be able to do this by using multiple profiles to use multiple saves.

This is perfect for those who want to do a nuzlocke and keep their competitive teams under their trainer OT & ID.

This might be the first ever mainline Pokemon game where you use multiple save files. It might not be something in the game itself, but since the Nintendo Switch separates save files on a profile to profile basis, you should be able to do this by using multiple profiles to use multiple saves.

This is perfect for those who want to do a nuzlocke and keep their competitive teams under their trainer OT & ID.
Wow I didn't realize you could do that... This is huge for Pokemon because before it was mostly locked to a single save per cartridge. I hope Nintendo or Game Freak doesn't find a way to prevent/circumvent this...

I'm sure they'll probably make the save work only on the cart itself instead of on the Switch, to prevent exactly this.

Reactions: Duffy
I'm sure they'll probably make the save work only on the cart itself instead of on the Switch, to prevent exactly this.
What if we buy the digital version then?

What if we buy the digital version then?

Then it'll probably be allocated into the game itself, which is likely what the cart will end up doing anyway. Either that or they'd have to somehow make the save file unusable for other profiles or Switch units, period. And since that would be unnecessary for cart versions (and also given the likelihood of a save transfer program for digital to physical media), it would be better to go with the former option.

Fingers crossed that multiple saves will be implemented in the next game. Unfortunately, there are many issues with allowing it to happen. What stops someone from creating multiple profiles on their Switch in order to get more than one of an event distribution over the internet? I guess people do that now when they buy both versions of the game. They would have to add limitations and I think that it's not worth the complications to make saves based off of Switch profiles. Perhaps, if they do choose to make saves on the cartridge and not the system, they will make a maximum of two or three saves on the cartridge, which is what they do with tons of games and it works great.

but why tho ? I could never understand why they only let us have one save file, and in my opinion it really sucks for people like me who get these mystery gift pokemon that you cant regain easily (if at all) or want to have access to a second one so we can freely enjoy the story without losing all of your good pokemon that you dont want erased. its just stupid and is the one thing i disliked about the main RPG games for pokemon. i mean, wth... square enix gave us the option to have mutples on final fantasy games, so why is game freak doing cheap trash like this to players? I dont understand why this would be so bad or how it would give us an unfair advantage, so long as we cant transfer content between saves on the same device =/

but why tho ? I could never understand why they only let us have one save file, and in my opinion it really sucks for people like me who get these mystery gift pokemon that you cant regain easily (if at all) or want to have access to a second one so we can freely enjoy the story without losing all of your good pokemon that you dont want erased. its just stupid and is the one thing i disliked about the main RPG games for pokemon.

Initially the reason was due to the limitations of memory in Red/Green. In order to allow players the chance to store Pokemon with multiple names and stats instead of just having static characters, they had to sacrifice a planned 2nd save space. As for why it's not allowed nowadays, that should be pretty obvious and is mostly what you've just said: There are special event Pokemon that can only be obtained once per save file in current gens, so allowing a Pokemon game with two save files would not only circumvent that, but allow very easy abuse of collecting said Pokemon multiple times.

Final Fantasy isn't the same compared to Pokemon. Those games don't rely on releasing unique creatures that you can't obtain normally in-game, and any unique stuff they do give is probably done with DLC that can be tied to an account on the console. Pokemon can't do this because they don't release DLC, they only release patches and event Pokemon. Not to mention there's no multiple account system in any Nintendo handheld. The exception is the Switch but I still wouldn't hold my breath for more saves as a result.

Initially the reason was due to the limitations of memory in Red/Green. In order to allow players the chance to store Pokemon with multiple names and stats instead of just having static characters, they had to sacrifice a planned 2nd save space. As for why it's not allowed nowadays, that should be pretty obvious and is mostly what you've just said: There are special event Pokemon that can only be obtained once per save file in current gens, so allowing a Pokemon game with two save files would not only circumvent that, but allow very easy abuse of collecting said Pokemon multiple times.

Final Fantasy isn't the same compared to Pokemon. Those games don't rely on releasing unique creatures that you can't obtain normally in-game, and any unique stuff they do give is probably done with DLC that can be tied to an account on the console. Pokemon can't do this because they don't release DLC, they only release patches and event Pokemon. Not to mention there's no multiple account system in any Nintendo handheld. The exception is the Switch but I still wouldn't hold my breath for more saves as a result.
while what you said about mystery gift abuse is true, couldnt they just lock/ban people for that instead of keeping us with one save? I mean, i know it takes them out of their way but they dont seem to have trouble banning people for cheating/hacking online, but it would still be nice (idk about for them tho lol). but seriously, for the switch cant they just have some kind of write to the system memory and track the serial number concerning the mystery gift problem in a way that would make it impossible to do what you described?

while what you said about mystery gift abuse is true, couldnt they just lock/ban people for that instead of keeping us with one save? I mean, i know it takes them out of their way but they dont seem to have trouble banning people for cheating/hacking online, but it would still be nice (idk about for them tho lol). but seriously, for the switch cant they just have some kind of write to the system memory and track the serial number concerning the mystery gift problem in a way that would make it impossible to do what you described?

Since that would only prevent re-obtaining the event on a single Switch, it would have to be self-contained to the game, but not interfere with potential access to the event Pokemon. What if for example, I got an event Pokemon, sent it to another game, then sold my game and someone else picked it up? They would no longer be able to obtain the event.

So to do all that, they would have to lock the system to a Pokemon Online account, which would require registering accounts to be eligible for obtaining event Pokemon. Currently they do this for some event Pokemon (namely the ones that are given out to tournament entrants which require an account to login anyway), but not all of them. It just makes more sense to restrict quantity of event Pokemon you could obtain rather than flat out restrict users who don't have an account at all.

Since that would only prevent re-obtaining the event on a single Switch, it would have to be self-contained to the game, but not interfere with potential access to the event Pokemon. What if for example, I got an event Pokemon, sent it to another game, then sold my game and someone else picked it up? They would no longer be able to obtain the event.

So to do all that, they would have to lock the system to a Pokemon Online account, which would require registering accounts to be eligible for obtaining event Pokemon. Currently they do this for some event Pokemon (namely the ones that are given out to tournament entrants which require an account to login anyway), but not all of them. It just makes more sense to restrict quantity of event Pokemon you could obtain rather than flat out restrict users who don't have an account at all.

Sorry for going off topic but im guessing thats the thing called Pokemon global link ? Well, either way, hopefully we'll luck out this time regardless of these issues and be able to get a second save file for Pokemon switch :p i know not to count on it but it would be a nice surprise !

Fun fact: im hoping this pokemon switch will be a remaster of pokemon sun/moon or ultra sun/moon :p

When I read this thread's title I thought wow multiple saves. This is great for families with multiple gamers or kids so they can choose their own starters or eeveelutions (if there is starters or Eevee and not Colosseum or rentals). Sure they may fight over who plays when and there may not be cross play between save files on the same system without transferring to another game (which may be bad if there's new Pokemon) but I don't mind. Better than one save file and the system can probably handle more than one if the region isn't huge.

Reactions: Kadaj
Well, that’s interesting news to hear. :eek:

Good to know! I probably won’t even get the game (because as I’ve said many times, I don’t play Pokémon), but hey, maybe I’ll use the information somehow! xD

Back