Your Opinion on DLC and Amiibos

• Thread starter ArtsyThePikachu~
  • Start date

Are DLC and Amiibos worth the price they are sold for?

• Yes!

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Nah..

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Some are worth buying, some are not :I

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • It depends on the game

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
ArtsyThePikachu~

ArtsyThePikachu~

i'm a pikachu in disguise! (づ。●ω●。)づ
Towns Folk
With new selected titles created by Nintendo, the likeliness for DLC for that game has increased, for example, with Mario Kart 8 we are getting new tracks, karts and characters, with Smash Brothers 4 for WiiU/3ds we are getting new characters, stages and mii fighter costumes, and so on. In the past year we even received amiibos, everyone is dying to get a hold of these cross-platform plastic figures, collecting them and training them up, using them in different games to unlock different exclusive items and what not. This is certainly a good idea, bringing a fresh feel to the game(s) with (almost) every update!
However, how do people feel regarding the price for each DLC pack? Generally, and personally, i feel that the DLC packs are quite expensive, using the US price, Mario kart 8 DLC pack 1(or 2) costs $7.99, or both for $11.99, which, especially if you buy them separately(don't know why you would do that unless you cannot afford both at the time), the cost can feel a bit steep for a few select characters and karts that you may not specifically use, i mean the new Cups will be fun to conquer, especially with the new (free) 200CC dlc is just around the corner. Also, it is quite the same with Amiibos, i like them, but i feel like they are quite over-hyped for what they are, and my reason for thinking that is due to the stock sales, they seem to be "going out of stock" quite a lot, when Nintendo could easily just mass create them, this could be a sale's ploy on Nintendo's side to create more money fluctuation and selling them for higher prices and such, thats the only reason i can come up with for them anyway. If they didn't do this for money purposes wouldn't it be easier for Nintendo and the consumer to buy the Amiibos from the Nintendo website?
Despite the costs, a lot of people do buy these DLC packs and like to have all amiibos physically obtainable, do people like to collect all the DLC for each game? And/or for what reason? Do you collect DLC or Amiibos? Do you feel that DLC and Amiibos are worth the price that nintendo sell them for? Please give me an opinion on your thoughts!

As for my vote, I think it depends on the game. For example, I bought a Super Smash Bros. amiibo "Mario" and I leveled it up to Lv. 50 fast after I got it. Now what? It's like I just got a Lv. >9 CPU. Sure I can always battle it, but leveling up the amiibo is the main part. And I have already did this. Now I just have a toy, not game data. I think they should decrease/increase the price of amiibo based on that game.

Reactions: ArtsyThePikachu~
I think they should decrease/increase the price of amiibo based on that game.
That would be nice, the only problem i see with nintendo doing this would be that they sell the amiibos to be able to be used across different games, and so the prices might inflict and such, but definately a good idea

Reactions: Coolman9451
DLC was surely something that was bound to happen sometime sooner . I can say that some DLC are worth it and some may not be all so worth .

Amiibo is something that is very unique and that is the reason that I really liked it quite a lot . It really turned out to be successful and it is a nice addition to expand gameplay

I like the idea of DLC and making the most of a game like MK8. The prices are reasonable in my opinion. As for Amiibos, they seem pretty cool (changes the game slightly/has an added feature) but I do think they're expensive. For those on a tight budget it may be hard to buy some (two figures are the same price as a game for the 3DS at least). 0_0

I'm guessing we're talking about any game that has the option of extra DLC and that's Amiibo compatible. It definitely depends on the game, contents of DLC, the amount of enjoyment one person gets from their own experience of the game as a whole, and the extent of an Amiibo's use in whichever game. Smash, for example, has great DLC so far, that being Mewtwo as well as some extra costumes. The costume DLC is a pretty good, slightly unnecessary addition, while Mewtwo on the other hand is an anticipated addition to the Smash Roster. Amiibo can be used over and over again in games like Smash, MP10, and possibly Splatoon, but other games like MK8, Codename S.T.E.A.M., maybe even Wooly World, and AC: Happy Home Designer; their Amiibos can only be used once simply to unlock extra features. In that case, Amiibo are basically the keys to unlocking mini-DLC.

Personally I think it depends on what it is, like let's use Mewtwo as an example. He is worth his price because many people loved him in Melee and wanted him back because he was strong and had good moves. The amiibos are good but in my opinion I think they should be cheaper because many people want them, but it makes makes sense that they are the price they are.

The Mario Kart 8 DLC was reasonable because we were getting someone who was unexpected to be in the game I always wanted Link in Mario Kart and special cars, and I think a stage...right?

So I guess it all depends what's being offered now if it's like I don't know a special out fit for ten bucks and that's it that doesn't make any sense.

I really do not like dlc. I do not like buying for something extra in a game. Companies just try to make money off of every single little thing. I also like amiibos.I like how amiibos work for their certain game and they are also very fun to level up. But I am not going to try to collect every single amiibo like other people becauss that would be way too much money.

Amiibo were a fad that died. DLC, most of it is overpriced, and should've come with the base game instead. Those were simpler times when you could just buy a game and already have it all there rather than having to spend another £30 to get the full game in its entirety. Maybe even more than that, Smash DLC is around £40 or £50.

Though, to be honest, I kind of liked amiibo. Maybe it was childish nostalgia for the toys of my childhood. I used to collect all kinds of little toys back when I was a kid, so that's largely what spurred me to begin buying into the TTL gimmick, even if it turned out to be a bad idea ultimately. I'd rather have never bought anything at all.

DLC, however, is... there, just there. Like most else nowadays, there's no soul, no charm, only a price tag that didn't really need to exist in the first place. It's not unique, it's dull and boring. I prefer amiibo by far even if neither are exactly going to be the best inventions of the gaming industry.

they are both rather not desirable in nature but can make for their kinks and usefulness in some rare cases , but they have not done so many times so far. they both prove to be more nusiance to a larger group of people than attractive and potentially collect worthy , never seen them as worth the attention so far and have not been a fan of either of them since their implamention back im the 3ds era of gaming.

I feel the dlc and/or the amiibo are good depending on the game. I find dlc that has alot going for it and rewards you with something cool after you complete it a worth it buy. Octo Expansion for splatoon 2 is the best dlc I ever played. I beated it in less than two days though ;-; but thats cause I'm a splatoon veteran so idk how newbies would fair against Octo Expansion gameplay. Amiibos are cool depending if you like collecting or if your interested in what the amiibo unlocks. For splatoon 1 on wii u amiibos had dope challenges and stuff that game you money and rewards after you completed it. It even game you a minigame if you beated the challenges. It was a worth it buy. It honestly depends on the game. Cause for some games amiibos would either have one function which is kinda boring. But, at least you have alittle collectable you can put on your shelf to look at every once in a while.

Reactions: phofufury
Imo, i only buy dlc. I don't like amiibos, and some dlc may not even be worth it. I mainly buy dlc for games like Fortnite, where it's really just cosmetics. However, I bought Mana Sparks a while back, and may end p getting the dlc. In this case, the dlc adds a new character and map. That is worth it for me, but games that I won't play, or simply charge for the rest of the game, I won't get that. I would like to buy the base game, and if the dlc is extra, i might pick it up, but if it is the other half of the game, it wasn't even worth buying the game itself.

DLC is something that's never going away. Amiibos will probably die if nothing creative is being done with them, in the current state of things they might as well die unless they are cheat proof. There are legal cases where cheat devices are indeed legal so some sort of way around it might be tricky like some sort of extra chip. Anyways now my opinion.

DLC is more or less an option made by whoever makes a game. It uses preexisting code and puts something extra to it in exchange for more money. If they spent a long time making the DLC over the game they might as well make a new game and offer DLC to the older version. That might not be the nicest thing, but to be nice they could offer the DLC for a cheaper price and offer the new game for more than both the DLC and older product. Otherwise you are pulling a Koei Tecmo. You can then say the buyer needs to think about his purchase and waiting even more for the cheap price, or if they can afford expensive DLC they are therein investing in the product so the value of the maker can put more resources into a new game. I like that theory concept.

Amiibos are a merch, gimmick novelty, tech demo turned collectable, clearance fodder, licensed marketing, game niche, and market experiment early on. It's either you like it or you don't. I just wish it was more than that but it really wasn't. I guess figurines on their own don't sell. I hope they die if this keeps the way it is.

Back