Your preference, clones, or the original?

• Thread starter Blueblade867
  • Start date
Blueblade867

Blueblade867

The most blue blade.
Towns Folk
Also I should note that when I say "clone", I mean semi-clone as well.

So, like the title says, which do you prefer playing as more? The original, or the one with some modifications?

For me I prefer...

Link over Toon Link,
Lucina over Marth,
Mario over Dr. Mario,
Fox over Falco,
Pit over Dark Pit
and Ganondorf over Captain Falcon.

Who do you prefer?

I prefer Link for his strong Smashes and his dash attack.
I have little experience with Marth and Lucina.
Mario over Dr. Mario.
Falco over Fox (Falco has better jumps and his Blaster does knockback which is useful in Sudden Death).
Dark Pit over Pit (I think his side special is better and his bow hits harder. Lack of maneuverability is no issue to me).
Captain Falcon over Ganondorf (More air speed).

I prefer Link over Toon Link because he has stronger smashes,
Lucina over Marth (but I barely use them)
Mario over Dr. Mario because he seems to have better recovery,
Fox and Falco, I don't really use much,
Pit over Dark Pit
Captain Falcon over Ganondorf (I honestly had no idea they were semi-clones of each other)

Link over Toon Link because he's a lot better at netting some kills and his attacks are high range
Lucina over Marth (I main Lucina \o/)
Mario over Dr. Mario
Fox over Falco
Captain Falcon because he's really speedy

Link > Toon Link — Less annoying projectiles. Better air game.

Marth > Lucina — Tippers. Plus, I've always mained Marth.

Dr. Mario > Mario — Hate me for this, but I find Dr. Mario easier to get kills with. I find Mario one of the most annoying characters in the game.

Falco > Fox — Well, assuming we're talking Smash 4-wise, Falco is a more reliable character to get easy kills with. Air game is phenomenal. (Not to mention, his voice isn't annoying like Fox's)

Dark Pit > Pit — Dark Pit is my main-main. Electroshock is more offensive and the angle after it hits is good for setting up combos. Pit's arrows are too light for me. Dark Pit as a character is pretty awesome, too.

Captain Falcon > Ganondorf — Ganondorf is too slow and OP.

Sometimes clones can actually be better than the original. For example, I prefer Toon Link over Link since he is more of my play style. I find Link very sluggish, and I can't work with slow characters. Toon Link, on the other hand, is faster and can catch up with most characters. Toon Link can also keep opponents in when using the Spin Attack on the ground while Link sends them flying. Toon Link can jump better than Link.

If anyone's interested, there's a series on Youtube called Clone Wars which examines the pros and cons of each clone, and which is better. Here's the Link v.s. Toon Link episode:

Personally, I'd go with

Roy > Marth > Lucina
Roy has delicious speed, although has trouble approaching, and Marth has tippers, making him better than the waifu.

Toon Link > Link

Again, speed is a major factor in my choice: Tink's Fair and Bair are fantastic kill moves, his boomerang does damage on the way back, and his bomb explosions are wider.

Captain Falcon > Ganondorf

As much as I love disrespect, Ganondorf just isn't a good character. He's a slow heavyweight, easily comboed by any speedy character. I still play as him whenever I want to style on someone, no matter the game.

(Wolf)> Falco > Fox
I put Wolf in parentheses because 1. He's not in Sm4sh, and 2. He's not really a clone or a semi-clone. In Sm4sh, I prefer Falco over Fox by a slight margin because of his fantastic air game. I love air games.

Mario > Luigi > Dr. Mario (In Melee, reverse this)
Sm4sh was not kind to Dr. Mario. He went from my favorite plumber in Melee to my least favorite in this game. He's powerful, yes, but his near Little Mac-tier recovery is too much of a nerf for me to enjoy him. Luigi's a semi-clone, and he's gotten farther from that status as went on, but in Sm4sh, his D-throw combos make him an easy and fun character to play. Maybe not so much to fight, though. Mario is actually one of my mains alongside Kirby, and I love him over the others because of his fantastic Dair, quick smash attacks, and just how powerful his Fair looks.

Dark Pit > Pit
Honestly, it all comes down to aesthetic preference with these two. They only have like, three differences between them. I prefer the edgy pit.

Ness = Lucas
Can these two even be considered semi-clones..? Anyway, I don't prefer either over the other. I'll play whoever suits my mood.

(put Paula in smash plz thanks mashpotato samurai)

Last edited:
I usually play as Link or Toon Link, they are quite similar.
Link is are more powerful and I usually use sword combos and and arrow
Toon Link is most for distance attack.
So I prefer Link because I think is a balanced character.

Wow, with everybody actually explaining why they prefer one clone over the other, I guess I should too.

Ahem.

I prefer Link over Toon Link. With Link I feel that his attacks do a bit more damage, not 100% sure if they do, but they feel like they do. While Link's dash attack is slow, when it lands it's almost as powerful as a Smash attack. Plus with his boomerang, if it hits for damage, great. But since it brings foes to you when coming back, I can use this to do a forward tilt or up Smash.

I prefer Lucina over Marth. With Lucina I don't have to incorporate tippers into my strategy. Plus, her Up Smash practically turns her into an active hitbox. So if someone attacks my shield, I can punish with an Up Smash. With Marth you can't really do that because of Sourspots.

I prefer Mario over Dr Mario. Firstly, I feel that I have more options with FLUDD to work with than the Doctor's Tornado Spin...thing. Plus, Dr. Mario's recovery is really...bleh.

I prefer Fox over Falco. With Fox's blaster I can do more damage at a quicker pace than Falco's. I think Fox's ground speed is also faster than Falco's. While Falco has higher jumps, Fox has a better recovery, which can help if you somehow manage to get yourself stuck below a stage. Plus with Fox I can easily follow up a successful dash attack with two Up Tilts, then a Down Smash.

I prefer Pit over Dark Pit. Pit's arrows are easily controllable after shooting them. That's about it here.

I prefer Ganondorf over Captain Falcon. Falcon's movement speed is a bit too much for me (I say this, yet I use Sonic.), plus I've always been trying to get into slower characters. Plus that Dair disrespect.

I still have no opinion on Ness and Lucas. If I did however, I'd probably prefer Lucas because of the Tether recovery. I'm bad at using their recovery.

@TheFoolishJester I watch Raz0r13 too. Who would've thought that seeing that Ness vs Lucas Clone Wars video almost everywhere I go would get me into that guy, considering that I usually don't like it when I'm seeing the same videos pop-up even on a video that isn't related to it at all. He's basically the reason why I use Shulk way too much now.

Why does everyone think Lucas is a Ness clone?

His attacks are way different.

Why does everyone think Lucas is a Ness clone?

His attacks are way different.

Lucas and Ness are the same level of clone as Fox and Falco post-Melee. There's no stopping it.

Roy > Marth > Lucina
Roy has delicious speed, although has trouble approaching, and Marth has tippers, making him better than the waifu.
Roy is not a clone, semi-clone, nor anything similar to those. Roy and Marth debuted in the same Smash game. One cannot be based off the other (maybe it can if we get an official word from the developers or whatever of who was developed first, but since that most likely isn't going to happen...).

Lucas and Ness are the same level of clone as Fox and Falco post-Melee. There's no stopping it.
While you're just about right on that, I don't think he's considered a clone.

I tend to notice that people think that because two people merely have the same specials, they're automatically clones. Lucas and Ness are from the same franchise, which, clearly, some aspects on the both of them will most likely be similar. Not necessarily making him a clone.

I wouldn't use the term "semi-clone", either. In my honest opinion, I feel like Dr. Mario is the only "semi-clone" in the whole series. Half the same aspects, half completely different. Lucas is not one. If "quarter-clone" were a useable term in the smash community, I guess you could consider that for Lucas.

Roy is not a clone, semi-clone, nor anything similar to those. Roy and Marth debuted in the same Smash game. One cannot be based off the other (maybe it can if we get an official word from the developers or whatever of who was developed first, but since that most likely isn't going to happen...).

While you're just about right on that, I don't think he's considered a clone.

I tend to notice that people think that because two people merely have the same specials, they're automatically clones. Lucas and Ness are from the same franchise, which, clearly, some aspects on the both of them will most likely be similar. Not necessarily making him a clone.

I wouldn't use the term "semi-clone", either. In my honest opinion, I feel like Dr. Mario is the only "semi-clone" in the whole series. Half the same aspects, half completely different. Lucas is not one. If "quarter-clone" were a useable term in the smash community, I guess you could consider that for Lucas.

Marth and Roy being introduced in the same game only means that they are clones of each other. The definition of a fighting game clone is only two characters with similar movesets to each other; no original character has to exist.

Similarly, Ness and Lucas are semi-clones, albeit just barely. Semi-clones aren't "half-clones" as the prefix "semi" would suggest. It simply means characters that have a good bit of similar moves, which does apply to Lucas and Ness. Then again, the smash wiki states that the definition of semi-clone varies from player to player, so it's entirely possible this whole discussion is pointless.

(Fun Fact, In Smash 64, Kirby and Jigglypuff were semi-clones)

The definition of a fighting game clone is only two characters with similar movesets to each other; no original character has to exist.

Ah, alright. I see where you're coming from. It just seems we have two different definitions of the word "clone". No harm done.

I see "clone", Smash-wise, as someone who is a slightly modified copy of another character. Perfect example being Pit > Dark Pit.

Stepping away from Smash for the moment, in Kid Icarus: Uprising, Dark Pit was created through a mirror that Pit somehow bursts through (I haven't played the game in nearly three years, so I don't truly remember the story), and at that point was literally considered a clone, according to Palutena and others. So I guess that's kind of what I base my definition off of.

MY preferences are based entirely off of looks and personal stuff and not off of who I'm actually able to play as better.

Roy>Lucina>Marth because Roy has fire and Lucina is prettier
Lucas=Ness because my opinion of who I main changes so quickly. It's Lucas now but it was Ness last month.
Luigi>Mario>Dr Mario because Luigi is better and Doctors are terrifying
Dark Pit>Pit because he unironically shops at Hot Topic
Toon Link>Link because he's cuter
and Cpt. Falcon>Ganondorf because look at those legs.

and Cpt. Falcon>Ganondorf because look at those legs.

Don't forget the Captain's sweet butt.

Back